Aurora American Astronaut...Part 1......

From Apollo and Soyuz, to Gerry Anderson, Irwin Allen, Star Wars and Trek to Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica and those strange, doe-eyed Japanese school girls...to any model kits you can think of, that only exists in imagination.
Allan31
Active Participant

Aurora American Astronaut...Part 1......

Post by Allan31 »

So, I'm looking at the photo of my CovidStash. I am looking at the "American Astronaut" by Aurora and realized I also have the Revell Gemini Astronaut here as well. I then started wondering if they were in a similar scale so I started digging.

Before I go any further, I figured I would bounce this off you guys. Would I be committing some kind of modeling sacrilege or committing some other nefarious modeling crime if I combined the two kits.

Combining the two kits would give a much more accurate representation of the almost event, my only snag may be simulating the leggings but I can figure that out somehow.

But........not building the Aurora kit as is, is, I don't know.....

Let me know your thoughts, I'm feeling this may be one of those situations were if I'm asking the question, I already know the answer....I think.....
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Aurora American Astronaut....CovidStash.....

Post by iggie »

If you are concerned about upsetting collectors, then go right ahead and combine them :-D :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Do it to it I say. Combine the two to make one accurate one and one 'representative' one.
Either way am watching with interest.

All the best

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
Tarkas
Active Participant

Post by Tarkas »

iggie wrote:If you are concerned about upsetting collectors, then go right ahead and combine them :-D :-D
I'm with iggie and Gregers. Kits are made to be built. If you can produce a more accurate model by combining the two, go for it, and the devil take the nay-sayers!

This could make a very interesting figure, though the AMU always looks out of place next to a Gemini capsule (as shown in the box painting) because it's so big -- how could the astronaut get out of the capsule with it on? And before anybody says, I know that he wouldn't be wearing it in the capsule, but the box art is misleading that way. :roll: :mrgreen:
Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox, sometimes...
Allan31
Active Participant

Re: Aurora American Astronaut....Part 1......

Post by Allan31 »

Agreed, kits were meant to be built. I am amazed at how well these two kits combined, just fell together.
As you can see, they work really well together..

Tarkas, the MMU storage is explained in my Cernan post

After Cernan is finished I still have an Aurora base and astronaut left over, I'm thinking of doing something like this with him...

Thanks all !!!!
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.
iggie

Re: Aurora American Astronaut....CovidStash......

Post by iggie »

Great work at melding the two together :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
DavidWomby

Re: Aurora American Astronaut....CovidStash......

Post by DavidWomby »

The result of crosskitting those looks great. I love the idea of a 50s concept of an astronaut for the other spaceman.

David

Return to “Real Space, Sci-Fi and What-iffery”