New Squadron White Putty ISSUES

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
planecrazyman61
Modelling Gent and Scholar

New Squadron White Putty ISSUES

Post by planecrazyman61 »

As i am now and some of you may have already been aware Squadron have changed the formula for their filler putties including the White which i used for me the new stuff is unusable it reminds me of a PVA glue once dry and can flick off in skins/chunks just the same after sanding back it did not fill shallow ejector marks and also burned into the plastic leaving more to fill ,it also now has a strong solvent smell what are other peoples experience with the new Squadron white putty and as i now need to change to another filler can you recommend alternatives what perform the same as the old squadron putty did as i always got good results with that
Thanks Craig
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: New Squadron White Putty ISSUES

Post by PaulBradley »

Yikes! I stopped using both Squadron White and Green many years ago because they dried out in the tubes before I'd used much of it. it does not sound as if it's any better now!

I have switched to Perfect Plastic Putty, which is water-based and good for small jobs - naturally you don't wet-sand it! But it works in easily, can be smoothed with a damp finger, dries quickly and takes paint well. It isn't for large areas though, and I've not had any situations that call for large amounts, so I have no recommendations for those uses.

Here's a review:

http://www.internetmodeler.com/scalemod ... -Putty.php;
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
planecrazyman61
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: New Squadron White Putty ISSUES

Post by planecrazyman61 »

drying out in the tube was an issue with typically a 1/3 wasted but you could fill a bit of depth with it also wet sand it then i'd finish off with mr surfacer 500 and liked the results i do have 2 types of vallejo filler tube and dropper bottle but find any moist wiping over tends to bring them out
Craig

Return to “Construction Tips”