Taranto 80th, FAA Tribute ***Complete and Archived***

Here's where the general chat and organization of Group/Shared Builds takes place, with Guidelines, the GB/SB Calendar, and an Index to completed GBs.

Moderator: PaulBradley

Jaime
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Battle of Taranto 80th Anniversary - Fleet Air Arm tribu

Post by Jaime »

wokka wrote:I'm interested but will you consider any aircraft used by the FAA or just aircraft that flew off carriers?
I think as long as it is an aircraft of the Royal Navy FAA from May 1939 to the present day it's fine. What are you thinking of?
IronMan129 wrote:Yeah I think I'd be interested in this, a couple of options spring to mind:
Airfix Phantom.FG.1 N/T
Trumpeter Westland Wyvern
I do have the Top Gun GB running at around the same time though so I might only get 1 done.
Nice!
Complete: Airfix 1/400 Mary Rose, 1/72: Airfix Swordfish Mk1 Floatplane, Airfix R.A.F. R.E.8, Airfix Hannover CL.111a, Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero, Curtiss P40B Warhawk
Jaime

Post by Jaime »

PaulBradley wrote:Before my planning went astray, I had thought about a 'Taranto 80' tribute build, involving the Heller Illustrious, Tamiya Swordfish and MPM Fulmar
That would be a fantastic - never mind, it's the Channel Dash 80th in two years time!
Complete: Airfix 1/400 Mary Rose, 1/72: Airfix Swordfish Mk1 Floatplane, Airfix R.A.F. R.E.8, Airfix Hannover CL.111a, Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero, Curtiss P40B Warhawk
wokka

Post by wokka »

Jaime wrote:
wokka wrote:I'm interested but will you consider any aircraft used by the FAA or just aircraft that flew off carriers?
I think as long as it is an aircraft of the Royal Navy FAA from May 1939 to the present day it's fine. What are you thinking of?

I was thinking of the Miles Magister trainer from the 40's
It's only pain, work through it.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

As if by some divine intervention, I found this on the Book stall at my local market. Seemed fitting to acquire it!!...
ImageIMG_5386 by MD, on Flickr
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Andy Dighton

Post by Andy Dighton »

I could be in with a Gannet.
Best wishes
Andy

My post war RAF display team page. https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=201&t=19491"
XX172 Life of a BAe Hawk 1977-2006. https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=201&t=23975
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Nice find, Mark!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Jaime

Post by Jaime »

wokka wrote:I was thinking of the Miles Magister trainer from the 40's
Now that would be an interesting one to see.
Jaime

Post by Jaime »

MarkyM607 wrote:As if by some divine intervention, I found this on the Book stall at my local market. Seemed fitting to acquire it!!...
ImageIMG_5386 by MD, on Flickr
Serendipity!
Jaime

Post by Jaime »

So, we currently have a few interested, as follows:

Me: A Martlet IV and a Wildcat V conversion &/or anything else I can get my hands on.
Iggie: A BIG Swordfish
Mark: Swordfish
Tony: A Wildcat (878 RNAS?)
Paul: Fulmar/Swordfish
IronMan: Phantom/Westland Wyvern
Wokka: Miles Magister
Andy: Gannet

There's quite a nice collection of aircraft in that group.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

So Jaime - as we have enough participants, you should ask John to put this on the GB calendar, to make it official.

I'm now thinking of build with one of two 1/48 kits I just acquired - the Esci Skyraider AEW or an Accurate Miniatures Avenger.
Paul

Jaime

Post by Jaime »

PaulBradley wrote:So Jaime - as we have enough participants, you should ask John to put this on the GB calendar, to make it official.

I'm now thinking of build with one of two 1/48 kits I just acquired - the Esci Skyraider AEW or an Accurate Miniatures Avenger.
OK Thanks Paul - I wasn't sure how it works and it's the first time any of my suggestions have had any interest!

I'll send John a PM.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

if this happens, I'd be happy to participate.

I dont have a specific subject in mind, but whatever it is, I'm sure I wont finish :D

What are the proposed GB dates ?
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Softscience wrote: I dont have a specific subject in mind, but whatever it is, I'm sure I wont finish :D
That's the spirit!! :ha: :ha: :ha:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Softscience wrote:What are the proposed GB dates ?
11 Nov to 31 Dec.
Paul

Jaime

Post by Jaime »

Hi all - I have just messaged John about this going on the calendar. A summary of the proposal is as follows;

- To run from 11th November to 31st December
- Subjects are to be of any aircraft in any scale operated from land or sea by the Fleet Air Arm following its transfer to Admiralty control from 25th May 1939 to the present day
- WW1 RNAS subjects and RAF controlled Fleet Air Arm subjects from 1924 to May 1939 fall outside the scope of this group build. In simple terms this means all aircraft will be Royal Navy aircraft from WW2 onwards.

The rationale for the dates and scope above is that the Operation Judgement raid on Taranto of 11/12 Nov 1940 by the Royal Navy FAA was the first ever all aircraft naval attack in history and established the effectiveness of carrier-borne naval air power for the first time. As an interesting aside, according to many accounts Taranto served as inspiration for the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor the following year.

Return to “The Group/Shared Build Chat”