1/72 Tamiya A6M2 Shared Build *** Open ***

The Shared Build workspace and archive.
johnsan
Modelling Gent and Scholar

1/72 Tamiya A6M2 Shared Build *** Open ***

Post by johnsan »

A shared build in which Softscience and Johnsan explore the possibilities offered in Tamiya's 1/72 A6M2 Zero kit. We have discussed the clipped wing model 32, but hold the option of other variants open.
Really nothing pithy to say.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Re: 1/72 Tamiya A6M2 Hemp Shared Build

Post by Softscience »

It took me no time at all to mess this up when I realized I got a long wing A6m2b.

I won't tell if you don't.
johnsan

Re: 1/72 Tamiya A6M2 Shared Build

Post by johnsan »

No problem. I'll have to root through the stash for the same kit. I know I have some, but where??
johnsan

Re: 1/72 Tamiya A6M2 Shared Build *** Open ***

Post by johnsan »

Found it and it was right where I thought I'd put it. That in itself is pretty amazing. My memory is none too good these days.

This is a really good kit. IMHO it is the best kit in 72nd scale. This particular one has at least 3 different boxings. First is the one Ralph has shown. Second was a limited Japan only issue that has additional markings to the ones in the first kit and a book bundled with. The additional markings were nice, but it was the book that made this issue worthwhile. The third issue was a movie marketing tie-in with the film "The Eternal Zero." This is a film where an aged kamikaze pilot dies and his grandchildren try to make sense of his life. This is a very interesting and good movie that is well worth seeking out. Especially interesting are the special bits included on the CD showing how the movie was made. The movie is subtitled and very understandable. The model issue has markings for some of the movie planes. An interesting kit. The plastic for all issues is the same.

Tamiya also issued models for the Type 32, 22, and 52. All are extremely good kits. Finemolds also issued kits of these variants as well as a Type 11. The FM kits also very good kit s. I think the FM kits are more detailed than the Tamiya kits, but slightly more fiddly to build. I also think the Tamiya kits have slightly better surface detail.

Hasegawa also have these kits in their catalog. These build into nice models, but require additional detailing.

Airfix does a Type 21 also. This is my least favorite Zero kit currently available.

Fujimi and LS also had Zero kits. Neither brands IMO is worth seeking, much less buiding.

ISTR Hawk also had a Type 52. It was very simple with no landing gear. Haven't seen one in years.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Seconding "The Eternal Zero" a really nice film.

One other kit in 1/72 is the Academy Type 52. I built one about a decade ago and recall enjoying it. Typical of 90s Academy kits, the decals are junk, and IIRC, the landing gear bays are spuriously shallow. Still and all, its the only Zero kit I know of that comes with the four 20 mm cannon arrangement.

Anyway, John. Any thoughts on markings you might be using?

I'm hoping to do something like this Rabaul A6M2.

johnsan

Post by johnsan »

How did I forget the Academy? I had it at one time and it may still be hiding in the stash.

I'm undecided on markings. Maybe the kit Zuikaku option as flown by Lt. Masao Sato at Pearl Harbor. My wife's family name is Sato. I doubt there is a relation as Sato is a very common Japanese family name much like Jones in English cultures. Or maybe a later war one based at Atsugi. We lived very close to Atsugi when we lived in Japan. Or maybe a Marianas based one with interesting theatre markings. Lots of choices and I've been pawing my way through books looking.

Your choice looks interesting.
johnsan

Post by johnsan »

Thinking about it, I also forgot to list Johan and AML. Johan's kit made into either a Rufe or a Zeke. It was a well shaped, but poorly detailed kit. I liked the one I built so long ago.

AML's kit is for a A6M2-k, the 2 seat trainer. I have one in the stash, but have been holding off building it remembering previous AML builds.

There have also been a few limited run kits by Gartex. These were based on Hasegawa plastic with resin and/or metal parts to give variants not covered by the major players. I haven't covered them mostly they weren't widely distributed and where they were, they were horribly expensive.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

What do the Marianas markings look like?
johnsan

Post by johnsan »

Dark green over gray. The one that interests me has yellow and red flash on the tail. They're on a Phu Decals sheet obtained in Japan.

There are also some interesting markings from the Ceylon expedition.

So many interesting choices.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

You said it!

I was pretty sure I wanted the mottled look for my next zero, but the I saw some A6M3's that have a more interesting mottle finish (e.g., Nishizawa's plane, among others), an out of the box Pearl Harbor strike force finish may be a better decision in that 1) it would be easier, and 2) I have no models to commemorate that monumental event.
johnsan

Post by johnsan »

Despite being stationed at Pearl and living in the area for 15 or so years, I also have no Pearl related subjects built. I think this may have been being too close to the subject. It might also be that the model club I belonged to there was so focused on Dec 7, I lost interest.

But as you say, the box schemes are attractive and easy to do. They also reflect the very orderly Japanese mindset. They also project a sense of style and elan.

I've spent the day in Vegas with doctors. So no benchtime. I'm looking forward to tearing into this kit.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

This is all very cozy with you two down here in the bowels of the forum chatting away about Mitsubishi's most famous product - we had one of their TV's a number of years ago and very good it was too, but I digress. I'll have to remember to keep an eye on this SB as I'm sure there will be some great looking Zeroes given the high quality of builds the pair of you put out.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

ShaunW wrote:This is all very cozy with you two down here in the bowels of the forum chatting away about Mitsubishi's most famous product - we had one of their TV's a number of years ago and very good it was too.

:-D :-D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :-D :-D :-D :ha: :ha:

Was it the cannon armed version?
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

John, I'm hoping you can take the lead here and show or at least talk about how you paint radial engines. Yours look so very very good.
johnsan

Post by johnsan »

That's where I was planning to start. We're very fortunate here as Tamiya provides a very nice Sakae engine. It's worth spending a little time on the engine as the detail will show.

Thank you for the compliment.

Shaun, Mitsubishi is a major player in Japan to this day. They're into electronics, autos, and even shipbuilding. In our Japanese home we had a couple of their AC units and were very pleased with their efficiency.

Return to “Shared Build Workbench”