Bouncing back

Chill out 'n' talk about anything. Have a giggle, play a game or have a rant and try not to fall off the Soap Box. (NOTE Standard Forum Rules apply).
Ratch
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Bouncing back

Post by Ratch »

Ouch :exclaim: sounds painful :cry:
Here's to a pleasant recuperation :)
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
Early Bird Fan

Post by Early Bird Fan »

glad you're on the mend and back at it, sounds like a nasty one.

The good mrs EB went down a man hole cover about 12 years ago, well at least 3/4 of her did, one leg stayed out which caused some ankle damage and a few broken bones.
Current Builds:
Revell 1/48 S.e.5a
Revell 1/72 P-47 'bolt
Frog 1/72 Bleriot X1
Markh_75

Post by Markh_75 »

Blimey that doesnt sound good! Glad you're on the mend! Modellers of the world UNITE! ;-) :lol: :lol:
Twas Blollig and the Shalomey Touves didst gear and grumble in the wardrobe!
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

Thanks for all the good wishes. It means a lot.

Bit of a step back last night, as the cast was too tight and this time my leg was too badly swollen, so off to A&E.

They took an X-ray, then cut the cast away along one side. The relief was immediate. It's now all good again and the cast held neatly in place with a bandage and tape. I had a trouble free night, then made a few little adjustments to the top edge, which was a bit sharp. All is fine now, but I can't get to my model room for a little while. The kitchen is pretty much done, but not easily accessible at the moment. I did manage to get some dimensions, so we can make two new hardwood rails to link the gap between the doors. Rather like two metre long parallel bars. I can use these for excercise, though someone needs to be nearby. Luckily, I have lots of spare timber, recycled from old furniture, that will do a super job. Having the family around helps tremendously.

Looking forward to making a start on one of my new Eduard Spitfire MkIa kits. They really are beautiful. I have itchy fingers.

Once again, thanks for the support and advice. Hope to be back on the forum again soon. :) :) :) :) :)
So many models, so little time.
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

Early Bird Fan wrote:glad you're on the mend and back at it, sounds like a nasty one.

The good mrs EB went down a man hole cover about 12 years ago, well at least 3/4 of her did, one leg stayed out which caused some ankle damage and a few broken bones.
That sounds very painful. I got off lightly, I reckon.
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

Quick update.

Haven't been able to do any modelling due to all sorts of other stuff happening.

Ankle healing well. Cast replaced by a large Moon Boot, which I have to keep on 24/7. I was supposed to have a new cast, but the Surgeon realised that it was causing issues. I had just been re-admitted with major breathing problems. Ambulance job and 4 days in bed on new medication. There was a worry about blood clots on the lungs, but the new injections cleared the problem. Chest X-ray now clear. 2 weeks of the boot and I'm feeling a lot better. I had to cut some cotton sheet to go inside the boot, as the blue lining was sending me up the wall with a severe itch. I seem to be allergic to all these man made fibres. The liner and an anti histamine tablet keep it at bay now.

Off to hospital later to get a checkup. I have come up with a suggestion which I'll run by them later, but will see what they advise first.

The actual break and op were pretty much painless, registering more as a dull ache. All the discomfort has been down to a tight cast, nerve damage sending shocks up my leg, prickly heat and a couple of severe panic attacks, due to breathing issues. Apart from a couple more injections to complete the course, plus one anti histamine tab a day, which I take through the hayfever period anyway, I'm basically med free now. Hopefully, once the kitchen and new heating system is installed ( Back boiler broke down at the weekend.) I may get back to doing some modelling. So many to build. Can't do a lot, so I'll have to let the plumber get on with it.

Looks like I won't be back at work until the new year, as my job means 4 hours standing behind a til, or walking around the warehouse finding stuff. Quite a bit of bending and lifting too. At 71, I may cut my hours at the end of next year, but I want to get my modelling area sorted and the garage converted to a store room, so I don't have to keep climbing to the attic to find kits and bits.

Onwards and Upwards. :) :-D :roll:
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Blimey that sounds like an ordeal!, hope you're sorted asap, struggle to work at 40 odd let alone 71!! :lol:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Glad to hear there's an end in sight!

You have my sympathies - my mum had some blood clots in her lungs just recently, part of her continuing health issues. Very scary, especially during these COVID times. A week in the hospital, a fluid drain fitted to her side and lots of medication. She's a lot better now, but it was very worrying for a bit.

Hopefully, you can spend a bit of time at your modelling bench shortly - I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the new Airfix Spitfire!!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
iggie

Post by iggie »

I hope you get good news after meeting with your consultant! These things tend to take their own course, the human body being what it is but don't rush things especially where work is concerned. Take care!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Sounds a rough time. Best wishes.

David
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

Almost back to normal now, thanks chaps.

I can now put weight on the ankle, though only in the boot. I can take the boot off for long periods and to sleep, so all is well there. No breathing issues, or panic attacks since finishing the meds. It is so good to be able to simply stand up. The very scary reversing up the last flight of stairs is no longer a worry. The boot balances me perfectly. No pain at all now, apart from the odd little nip from the metal work. The nerve damage is still evident from time to time, but is not causing any pain.

I'm hoping that they sign me off as Fit to Work in the New Year, but I'm not sure about this Lock Down issue, yet. I'm still At Risk, so they may furlough me again. They have a comfy stool for me back at the store, which will be handy, so just awaiting the nod from the Doc. Our store has been open right through the pandemic and a few of us had to self isolate. As a major DIY store, we must be there for people. The Managers and Staff have been great. We all have the proper PPE and plenty of big plastic screens to protect us. Only a couple of times have I had to ask customers to behave. One guy asked if he could pay in cash. I said, yes, no problem. He then pulled out a wad of notes and started to lick his thumb to count them off. I asked him just to lay them down and I would do it for him. We have gloves. He was OK about it, but didn't understand the issue. Another wanted to stand next to me at the till as I rang the items through. I pointed to the monitor on the front, which showed the same as mine. He wasn't wearing a mask and coughed and spluttered throughout the whole visit.

Onwards and upwards! :lol: :lol: :lol:
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

As this year has been a write off anyway you may as well get all your major medical scares in. No point ruining a good year. Seriously glad to hear things have improved so much.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)

Return to “General Chat”