Bouncing back

Chill out 'n' talk about anything. Have a giggle, play a game or have a rant and try not to fall off the Soap Box. (NOTE Standard Forum Rules apply).
Chuck E
Established 1949

Bouncing back

Post by Chuck E »

Hi folks. Nice to be able to sit at my desk again, and see what you've been up to.

I have been out of action for a while due to an accident. I was trying to get the new kitchen finished and went down to the shed to find some suitable pieces to complete the plumbing. While I was in the workshop, it started to rain. I stepped out onto the step and lost grip. My left foot suck in the step while the rest of me rolled over onto the garden path. I felt a hard bump on my ankle and tried to stand up. I noticed around then that my left foot was not where it had been a few moments earlier. I managed to crawl up the path and called for my wife, who was working in the back room. Seems I had dislocated my ankle. Really strange to see it pointing to left at about 90 degrees. Oddly enough, the pain was just a dull ache. I took a couple of paracetamol as I awaited the Ambulance. They duly arrived and took me into A&E. After the X-rays, they realised that there was bit more damage. The ankle was dislocated, but the twisting foot took the fibula with it and pulled it from the Tibia and Talus. the X Ray seemed to show all sorts out of position. The gave me a shot of happy juice and pulled it back into place. They strapped it up and sent me back for another X-ray. Perfect! Lucky me. I had to go up to a ward while they arranged a bit of surgery, which happened a few days later in one of our brand new theatres. Real Sci Fi stuff. A small plate was needed to hold the Tib and Fib in position while it healed.

In all this time, I had very little pain at all. Heart rate and BP were stable throughout. Sats remained around 95 to 98. Not bad for an oldie.

A week in a local rehabilitation hospital has got me back on my foot and I got out today. My kids had put in new handrails and grab rails to get me around in safety.

I never cease to be amazed by our NHS people, who got me patched up and home. Working under some very testing conditions they were friendly, helpful and very professional.

Now I have to find something to do that doesn't require too much walking. I wonder what that could be? :grin:
So many models, so little time.
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Bouncing back

Post by DavidWomby »

Welcome back. Sounds nasty but glad to read that you are on the road to recovery! Best wishes that it continues smoothly.

David
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Yikes! Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad you are home and on the mend!

At least it wasn't your arm, otherwise you wouldn't be able to model!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Crikey you don’t do things by half! Glad you are on the mend.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
iggie

Post by iggie »

Wow, that didn't sound good at all! Really glad you are back home safe and well again, and thankfully you've got a prefect hobby for your recuperation :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Glad you are on the mend. That did not sound pretty.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
H-bomb
Is His Name Really Howard?

Post by H-bomb »

Could have been worse,you could have been holding one of your latest builds. :ha: glad to know you are ok. Thank goodness for the NHS eh.
Cheers Howard
acquired 1
Built 2
Disposed none

On the bench. Airfix Handley Page 0/400 , Escadron Hunting Percival Pembroke
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I'm ill just reading about it - happy it seemed to have worked out well.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

May I just add- "OUCH, OUCH and OOOOOUUUUCCCCHHH!!!" :lol: :lol:
Glad to see you back in business, the NHS people I have are really good too. Can't imagine how they stay so helpful and friendly!!. :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
wokka

Post by wokka »

Glad you were sorted out and it winds me up when people slag off the NHS, so pleased that your experience is similar to mine, always very good when it comes to needing serious treatment. Incidentally, here in Germany I have to go to the hospital here for checks every 8 weeks and I'm often asked how does the NHS compare to the German system. The care is equally good in both based on experience. Whilst the admin side is definitely better in the NHS there are very few waiting lists for treatment in Germany. If you need it and your insurance covers it, you'll get it.
It's only pain, work through it.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That sounded like a nasty incident, Chuck and I'm really glad you're on the mend. I've never had an issue with the treatment I or any of my family have had with the NHS and long may the service continue. Please, God, we never end up with a private healthcare system over here.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

Having done tib-fib fractures in both legs with attendant ankle trauma, I feel your pain, I really do. Hope you heal up quick. Make sure you religiously do any exercises the physio gives you! It makes all the difference.

My fractures got me out of downhill skating and back into modelling so sometimes there are unintended positives...
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
chrism

Post by chrism »

Ooh ouch .... relax and put your feet up .. unless you need to be on them for your re-couperation exercises. It is all too easy to take a nasty tumble at any age, but the older one gets, the more it can become a worry for family and those who have to be called on to help at home
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

Good to hear that you are ok.
I did my left foot three years ago thanks to some Muppet of a delivery driver leaving box strapping in a car park, (my foot changed shape as a result).
Hope you don't get any lasting after affects.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Blimming heck. I really do hope that you make a full recovery Chuck. That sounds horrendous.
Glad to hear that you are on the mend though.

All the best

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein

Return to “General Chat”