Fantastic Plastic 1/144 Spece Ghost Phantom Cruiser

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
Tarkas
Active Participant

Fantastic Plastic 1/144 Spece Ghost Phantom Cruiser

Post by Tarkas »

<GRAMS: Spooky background music>
<V/O: SPAAAACE GHOOOOOOOST!>

That kinda gives away where this one comes from... :mrgreen:

Fantastic Plastic have been having a series of flash sales over the last few weeks -- to celebrate their 15th anniversary as a business, IIRC -- and one of them was the Phantom Cruiser, that most elegant of spaceships (when visible ;-)). I couldn't resist the "bargain", and the kit arrived with Allen's usual remarkable speed; you pay for the shipping, but no more than is necessary and the stuff turns up almost before you realise it!

Here's the box:

Inside, after removing the usual load of styrene peanuts, you find:
  • the instructions -- one A4 sheet, ot thereabouts
  • the two main hull pieces, which is most of the kit
  • the small parts -- three undercarriage legs, six seats, the cockpit floor and instrument panel -- and a vacformed canopy
  • and a large single decal (the ziploc bag is mine, to protect it)
A very simple kit, if a bit fiddly in places, I suspect, but it looks the business and should make up into a very nice model. It will take some work, I think, because:

a) it's resin, with all that that entails;
b) there's a bit of flash, as may be seen -- not much, but it's there, and I suspect that there will be a bit of fettling involved to get everything to fit properly, with the inevitable filler to accompany that;
c) a vacform canopy, which I've never had a lot of success with; and finally
d) the main body is a complex curved shape, and also large and flat. In order to mould it, FP have had to distort it, or so it looks to me. This photo shows what this means:

That's the main part of the hull, and it shows two things that will have to be dealt with. First are several bits of resin that poke out from the upper surface, presumably to avoid short shots. If this was an aircraft, I'd think they were antennae of the sort you get on AWACS or ELINT birds; but it isn't, and so these things (which are not just on the topside) will have to go. And secondly, the Cruiser has upswept wingtips, giving it what is sometimes called a swallow look, and this part does not have that -- if anything, one wing is bent downwards. Luckily, FP resin softens readily with heat, so hot water or a careful application of hot air from a hair dryer will allow that to be corrected.

I should say that I am very pleased that the kit includes that big decal for the upper side, because I wasn't looking forward to hand-painting it. Apparently, it requires MicroScale Liquid Decal Film, but I just happen to have bought some of that a few weeks before the kit, so that was serendipitous.

So, a good kit of a beautiful subject. There's only one thing it lacks: an answer to the decades-old question of how does the PC move?! :roll: No visible engines (though its appearances on screen were always accompanied by the classic Hanna-Barbera jet/rocket engine sound), intakes, exhausts or anything, so what makes it go? Answers on a postcard, please, addressed to the University of Upper Kambukta West; let them worry about it!
Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox, sometimes...
Crashpilot
...happily fooling around with styrene

Re: Fantastic Plastic 1/144 Spece Ghost Phantom Cruiser

Post by Crashpilot »

Oh, I must have missed out on some of the Hanna-Barbara stuff, never heard of this before
I´m curious, how it will fit together?
Waiting for the day, when wars for territory will be something to be read about in history books only.

Playing Tetris taught me: If I clean up too much, my kits disappear.....8-(

Markus, alias Crashpilot, or Crash, or CP, as you wish
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

This one is a complete mystery to me. How’s it coming along.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Crashpilot wrote: I´m curious, how it will fit together?
The few parts look clean, but my experience is 50-50.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Tarkas
Active Participant

Post by Tarkas »

Crashpilot wrote:I'm curious, how it will fit together?
Basically, you install the cockpit floor, seats and instrument panel in the bottom half, join the top and bottom halves, add the landing gear if you want to, and then fit the canopy, and she's ready for external painting. Not exactly a complex build; the trick will be to bend the wings to their correct curves, plus all the inevitable PSR cycles.
Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox, sometimes...

Return to “In-Box reviews”