Italeri Tornado GR.4 1/32nd New Tool (Ref: 2513)

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Italeri Tornado GR.4 1/32nd New Tool (Ref: 2513)

Post by iggie »

This arrived back before Christmas but for one reason or another I haven't got around to a look in the box until now.
Until this Italeri new tooling of the mighty Tonka, the only game in town has been the relatively ancient Revell/ceji tooling from 1985, or the more recent Revell only tooling from 1996. Both have their good and bad points but I think both are now well and truly eclipsed by Italeri's offering.

The box is substantial, measuring 560 x 280 x 115mm and fairly weighty! Although the tray of the box is of substantial cardboard, the lid is somewhat flimsy and will readily crush if smaller boxes are stored on top. The artwork depicts RAF GR.4 ZA542 'Danger Mouse' against a stormy background with some lightning thrown in for good measure, and is very appealing indeed. For once as far as I can tell, you can actually build the aircraft depicted, in the manner in which it is depicted; in other words, you now have the option of deploying the slats, spoilers and flaps without resorting to major surgery or after-market products. The only bit missing from the box art depiction is the pilot & Navigator...
In the box you find a lot of plastic, (including the signature massive fin) moulded in light grey plastic. I have not taken the frames out of their bags as yet, but from a reasonably good look through the bags there does not appear to be any flash, nor sink marks evident, attachment points are nice and small in most cases and there do not appear to be any excessive or awkwardly placed ejector pin marks. Panel lines are engraved, but not excessively so and the detail looks to be well defined and sharply moulded (something that the newer Revell offering cannot claim to be the case on all parts in my experience).

There is a fret of PE, mainly for use on the ejector seats, vinyl tyres and wing glove (nice!) and some very nicely moulded clear parts for the canopies etc.
Options-wise, there are plenty in the box, from undercarriage up/down, flaps, spoilers and slats open/closed, air-brakes open/closed, reverse thrust buckets deployed/stowed and of course, wings can be deployed at any of the variable locations. It should be noted that if you build the kit with flaps deployed then you will not be able to swing the wings inward, as the flaps will not pass through the wing gloves in this position; there again, I don't think the real thing could either so no great loss. There are also options for displaying the nose open or closed (with radar parts provided for the former, re-fuelling probe deployed or stowed and canopies open or closed. All in all, pleanty of variety for posing the built kit, and a good reason to buy several!
Weapons & stores are abundant and varied, comprising fuel tanks, BOZ pods, Skyshadow, AIM-9L and GBU-12s.
The decal sheet provides stencilling (without going overboard with them) for one aircraft and specific decals to allow any one of three subjects to be built; all are grey painted but with the provided nose art and/or special scheme decals all will be good looking aircraft. The decals are very nice, well printed with absolutely minimal excess carrier film, good colours and appear nicely in register

For fans of the Tonka, and who like the larger scales this has to be a must I would say; the options of having everything 'hanging out' makes for both an interesting build and resulting model. I'm sure there are already various bits and pieces coming out from the after-market chaps to provide even further detailing but from what I can see in the box and in the instructions it's going to look pretty good OOB.

Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: Italeri Tornado GR.4 1/32nd New Tool (Ref: 2513)

Post by PaulBradley »

That looks very nice; I'd get one but I already have the later Revell kit with all the aftermarket I've been able to get my hands on, so I'll pass!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Thanks for the review Jim. It looks very nice indeed but beyond my pockets at the moment, even though Jadlam are currently doing it for £109.00 delivered (compared to £147.98 from Wonderland for example).
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
PTB11

Post by PTB11 »

That looks like a great kit. The details are so sharp. A marked improvement over the Revell version.
Nice review, thanks.
On The Bench
Takom 1/35 M247 Sgt. York.
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Great review Jim,
whilst this kit is not one for me - may I have my ‘2-pennerth’, from a pilots perspective?
For anyone building this model - please check your references for the configurations typically seen of Tornados. May I give an example: the box art shows a Tornado with full leading edge and trailing edge flap deployed (note: the Tornado doesn’t have ailerons), a configuration appropriate for landing - but where is the undercarriage? Now, I didn’t fly Tornado but it is ‘normal procedure’ to select U/C down followed by various, increasing, stages of flap during the approach.

Of course the ‘it is my model I will configure it as I like’ concept still holds good - that is true.
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
Kitaholic

Post by Kitaholic »

Great review Jim, unfortunately, as it's a GR4 I'll be holding off until a set comes out to back date it (fingers and toes crossed)
Regards

Gord

Desperately trying to find his MOJO, don't know where I left it

Return to “In-Box reviews”