Nidge65
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Nidge65 »

hi all,im new to the world of model making and under sad circumstances i have been left a massive collection of unopend models all planes by different makers.you name it its there all brand new tools air compressor air guns spraybooth paints glues fillers e.t.c its all very confusing lol ..if any one can give any advice on where to begin i would very much appreciate your help ..i have it all set up in my loft but i cant upload any pics for some reason ? i also need a good desk lamp with a base not a clip on if anyone can advise on this to ? thanks folks
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: newbie

Post by iggie »

Welcome to the forum!
Sorry to hear of the circumstances surrounding the acquisition of a ready made stash of kits, but it's good to hear that you intend to get stuck in to building them :grin:
As for where to begin, assuming that you're a complete novice as far as modelling is concerned possibly the best thing would be to show us the kits so someone can point out a simple one for you to start with and go from there.
On the subject of pictures, if you click on the link circled on the screenshot below, you can upload them so they can be seen in your posts. Select image size for 17" monitor from the drop down menu before uploading the pictures
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I am assuming Nidge65 is on a smartphone and the "Postimage" icon may not be showing. I'd suggest he use a PC to manage image upload for now.

I'd suggest a trip to the local hobby shop or bookseller and get a couple very basic "how to go modelling" magazines. From there it may be easier to sort out what you have and possibly relate all the kits, supplies, tools to each other and narrow your choices accordingly. In fact, if you have a local hobby shop, that may be the place to start, chatting with them.

Iggie is right, you want a very simple kit to start with, few parts, easy assembly, lots of opportunity to be successful - and no fear if you trash the thing while learning - and that will happen, perhaps many times. I would suggest you focus on brush-painting - that is a basic skill - and don't worry about what it looks like, just worry about improving as you learn to handle the paints, etc.

Sans pictures - do you have acylic paints or enamels and which brands? What glues to you have? What brushes do you have? What cutting and sanding tools do you have? What fillers do you have? Don't provide detailed lists, just general indicators by type and brand.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Nidge65
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Nidge65 »

Hi iggy and rats. Yes I'm on a smart phone you guys are good .I will try setting up lap top lol should be fun ..paint is Tania mainly .revel pro glue .can't remember makes of other stuff but will try to post pics on laptop ...
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

These are all visible in the workbench thread.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Yay, it worked. (and I deleted them here as they are now in his WW, a much better place)

Well, you do have quite a set-up there, and we can see a heavy focus on airbrushing (Tamiya and ModelAir). Both are good paint lines. Tamiya can be hand-brushed on small areas with care and practice, as can Vallejo Model Air. Vallejo has a brushable equivalent, Model Color, and interesting things can be done mixing the two.

That's a good kit selection. It may be daunting to some here because the preferred scale is 1/72 and I'm not sure we are used to using a quality 1/48 kit for practice. If you have a LMS around, you might want to pick up a couple simple 1/72 kits for that. I'm sure suggestions will abound.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Nidge65
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Nidge65 »

Cheers guys my msg must be everywhere on here lol I will get used to it in sure ..i think the way for me to go is to buy a much simpler model and make my mistakes on that lol

Return to “Welcome!”