Sheffield/Rotherham/Doncaster/Barnsley shops, clubs and other good things...

Recommendations of all those increasingly rare LMS's in a town near you, so the rest of us can find them and marvel! Also, the places near you where blokes approach you, furtively clutching the latest SAMI and smelling of resin.
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Sheffield/Rotherham/Doncaster/Barnsley shops, clubs and other good things...

Post by mattbacon »

So... sometime in the summer I shall be following the Rev Mrs B to South Yorkshire, where she'll be taking up a job as an Archdeacon in Sheffield diocese. We're looking at potential houses/vicarages at the moment, so not sure where exactly we will be, but it'll be somewhere in area defined by those four towns, since I shall still have the same job in Leeds and so will be heading up the M1 a few days a week. I shall be sad to be leaving Pennine and Frizinghall Models behind (though it's not as if they are far, right..?), but I'm very interested to hear of any shops (model or good second-hand book), clubs or 1:1 plane, train and automobile venues that I should be paying attention to when we make the move to the Far South.... Greg, if you're still involved, I'd be interested to know what the opportunities for volunteering at Aeroventure/SYAM might be, when things are open again..

Any and all advice from South Yorkshire folk (or indeed anyone with a clue...;-P) much appreciated!

best,
M.
Gregers
Forum founder

Re: Sheffield/Rotherham/Doncaster/Barnsley shops, clubs and other good things...

Post by Gregers »

Hi Matt.
The model club at the South Yorkshire Aircraft Museum meets second Wednesday each month. Well, did before covid lockdown but I see no reason why it won't start up again. They have a good well stocked shop. Where I work at Tiger Hobbies (Goldthorpe) though is a trade warehouse and not a shop we allow visitors via prior arrangement. Just give us a call with a few days notice. The only time we don't allow visitors is when we have a big load in because of the safety aspect. If you Want I can pm you the phone number. This of course is once the covid restrictions allow.
There is Williamson model shop on the A19, Bentley, Doncaster. A small but reasonable selection of kits but mainly RC aircraft. A trip a bit north to Leeds there is the Leeds model centre, Crossgates, Leeds and there is Halifax Model World.
As for volunteering at SYAM. Hell yes. They always welcome keen volunteers.
Hope this helps

All the best

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Re: Sheffield/Rotherham/Doncaster/Barnsley shops, clubs and other good things...

Post by Stuart »

This is interesting to note - one of the places I'm hoping to move next year (depending on schools etc.) is North/West Yorkshire (between York and Leeds), so it's good to know there are some good places up there.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Falcon
F-16 Fan

Post by Falcon »

The Yorkshire Black Sheep Modellers (IPMS UK) meet at Hemsworth Library on the first and third Saturday morning of each month from 9.30am.

Like all clubs we are currently only meeting online but if all goes well we will be having our first meeting in the library for over a year on 26th June 2021 and then dropping back into the usual pattern the following week.
Chris.

Cold War S.I.G Deputy Leader
planecrazyman61
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by planecrazyman61 »

Hi Matt be nice to see you if you make it to one of the aeroventure model club nights, as well as the museum shop and tiger hobbies (gregs work) there is PM Models which is also located on the A 19 at bentley it's in a unit in a compound run by a friendly guy called Matt who i believe is also into model cars good selection of models and paints
good hunting Craig

Return to “Are You Local? Model Shops and Clubs”