How do you airbrush undercarriage doors?

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
Stupot
Pottering around

How do you airbrush undercarriage doors?

Post by Stupot »

Hi all,

I guess it's easier if the doors are very thin but some parts can be quite thick. Do you paint the outside colour, mask the top and spray the bottom? Do you spray the bottom, mask the edges and spray the top? Do you always try and fit them in the closed position for painting the outer colour? Do you even mask them..do you just paint the second colour and spray away from the edges?

I just don't want to get paint on the edges really but I can't seem to find anything that shows how it's done.

So how do you airbrush those undercarriage doors?

Stu :???:
Old fashioned paint brush user.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Re: How do you airbrush undercarriage doors?

Post by AndrewR »

I usually paint the interior with a brush, and then spray the exterior before fitting the door. Sometimes I just brush paint the whole thing!
Up in the Great White North
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

Brush the interior, air-brush (or just brush according to choice) the exterior, red marker (if required) to edges or brush with the appropriate colour...
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by DavidWomby »

Not helpful, I know, but if you build the aircraft 'in flight', you don't have this challenge! :-D

David
Stupot
Pottering around

Post by Stupot »

AndrewR wrote: October 25th, 2021, 7:47 pm I usually paint the interior with a brush, and then spray the exterior before fitting the door. Sometimes I just brush paint the whole thing!
iggie wrote: October 25th, 2021, 7:51 pm Brush the interior, air-brush (or just brush according to choice) the exterior, red marker (if required) to edges or brush with the appropriate colour...
Thanks guys, a brush would work here of course. I think I'm just going to have to give it a go and see how I do.

Stu :)
Stupot
Pottering around

Post by Stupot »

dwomby wrote: October 25th, 2021, 8:15 pm Not helpful, I know, but if you build the aircraft 'in flight', you don't have this challenge! :-D

David
I knew someone would say this! :lol:
carlos
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by carlos »

I brush paint the inner sides and edges, then fit in the closed position and spray while I'm doing the underside of the aircraft. I use a 'blob' of blu-tac inside the bay to hold them in place.

Simultaneously masks the bays and the edges of the doors - and has the advantage of making it easier to line up any decals or paint design that may go over the bay doors - such as invasion stripes for example...
Currently on bench: ICM 1/72 Tupolev Tu-2
Stupot
Pottering around

Post by Stupot »

carlos wrote: October 29th, 2021, 12:00 am I brush paint the inner sides and edges, then fit in the closed position and spray while I'm doing the underside of the aircraft. I use a 'blob' of blu-tac inside the bay to hold them in place.

Simultaneously masks the bays and the edges of the doors - and has the advantage of making it easier to line up any decals or paint design that may go over the bay doors - such as invasion stripes for example...
Hi Carlos and thanks for replying. I guess this works best when you have good fit of undercarriage doors, definitely one to try.

Cheers
Stu :)

Return to “Finishing Tips”