Bulk buying "nose" weights - an alternative to Liquid Gravity

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Bulk buying "nose" weights - an alternative to Liquid Gravity

Post by beany »

I have just bought a 7KG tub of these - Atacama Atabites, which are intended to weigh down loud-speaker stands, but will obviously be of use in the modelling community. The discs are 2mm by 1mm (or slightly less). The whole 7KG tub cost just under £30.00 delivered so I think you'll agree that works out a darn sight cheaper than Liquid Gravity. I think even just a kilo of these would have lasted me for the rest of my life, but 7KG was the only size available.

I've put a standard tin of 14ml Humbrol paint in the tub to give an idea of the size of the discs
(129 US Gull Grey if you must know :ha: ).

This is where I got them from:
https://www.audioaffair.co.uk/atacama-s ... gJWc_D_BwE

They are too heavy to mail cheaply but if anyone in the Derby (UK Midlands) area wants some and can collect then give me a shout.

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
carlos
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Re: Bulk buying "nose" weights - an alternative to Liquid Gravity

Post by carlos »

7kg - Holy Moly! :shock:

Last thing I bought for noseweights was a tub of .22 airgun pellets - about 4 yrs ago.
They can be squashed flat with pliers to approx 7mm across and 2mm thick - give or take... They weight just under 1g each so I just count them out, and by the time I've added plasticine and glue to stop them rattling about they average at a little over 1g each.
About £3 or £4 IIRC, for 500 - still got about a coupla hundred left.

I just stuffed 30 of 'em, plus plasticine, in the nose of 1/32 Hawk T1
Currently on bench: ICM 1/72 Tupolev Tu-2
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I think that’s a tad excessive! Only a bargain if you can use it all. I’ve still got a small tub of 2mm lead shot I bought 15 years ago from Final Touch (Ted Taylor). A couple of years ago I got s 250g of finer shot for awkward spaces. That’s at least 25 models
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Dazzled »

Personally, I've been using roofing lead for several years now after we did a few repairs to the house and I had some left over; I just work it into shape as required.

That said, I can see how useful these could be and pretty good value, especially if a group could purchase a tub and share it out between them. Good call Al 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Muttzley
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Muttzley »

Could come in very useful, especially if you're doing a plane with a tricycle undercarriage and a lot of glazing around the nose, like a B-24 or B-25.
Just a pity about the minimum weight you can order...
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Muttzley wrote: June 10th, 2022, 11:13 pm Could come in very useful, especially if you're doing a plane with a tricycle undercarriage and a lot of glazing around the nose, like a B-24 or B-25.
Just a pity about the minimum weight you can order...
I've got enough to last me several lifetimes so anyone who is prepared to come and collect from Derby can have half a margarine tub for free. PM me if interested,
or,
I can bring some to Telford in November. Let me know now so I know how much to bring with me (and how many margarine tubs to save!).
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
flakmonkey
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by flakmonkey »

(Smacks head) Why didn't I think of that? I actually have Atacama speaker stands full of this stuff!
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?

Return to “Construction Tips”