Airfix 2022 Range

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: Airfix 2022 Range

Post by JamesPerrin »

skypirate wrote: January 12th, 2022, 3:24 am
beany wrote: January 11th, 2022, 5:55 pmI am still a huge devotee of Airfix, but have often been disappointed by their content versus pricing.
Hear, hear!
Keep the price of kits down by putting all that 'invisible' interior and a clear fuselage half in an 'optional extras' kit for those who need it.
I suspect you are paying the design and tooling costs mainly and the "plastic" is a small percentage.

With interior detail they are damned if they or and damned if they don't.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Ratch wrote: January 11th, 2022, 9:46 pm
JamesPerrin wrote: January 11th, 2022, 3:42 pm You make a good point about most releases being Q1/2 and nothing Q4. I wondering if they are avoiding announcing kits with long lead times like the Tempest was only for things to keep slipping. As you suggested elsewhere, could we be in for further news?

Or are they just filling cargo containers with stock expecting things to get worse before they get better? :???:
It will be interesting to see what's actually in the catalogue :-|
Though not relevant to the current Hornby era but have Airfix ever released a kit not announced in a catalogue?
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Ratch
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Ratch »

JamesPerrin wrote: January 12th, 2022, 9:53 am Though not relevant to the current Hornby era but have Airfix ever released a kit not announced in a catalogue?
A couple of years ago there were kits available on the Airfix on line shop that were not in the catalogue. On ATF we had a discussion about how to define the range for that particular year.
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

I've been thinking about the Buccaneer and wondering what it'll do the extortionate prices on ebay for the old tool kit (maybe not anything until they release a B model). Nearly £100 quid does seem a bit steep though, but then that does seem to be the case for large 1/48 jets these days - look at the Tamiya F-14 and F-4. I suspect that price will drop before too long.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

I haven't been excited by anything from airfix since that disappointing RAF phantom, but the Bucc and Anson have my attention. Both will be large birds, but that's okay. I really hope they don't blow it with chunky details and bad QC
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

First up, let me say that I am very happy with the releases. The 48th Bucc looks a bit pricey, so I'll hold fire on that. Plenty more to fill gaps in the collection.

So glad to see the F-80c and Beaver back. I had added these to numerous Wish Lists, now they are nearly here. Lovely. New decals . . . even better.

The models that stood out the most for me, were the Spitfire IXc, though I was somehow not surprised to hear about this release, and the Anson. What a wonderful inclusion. Can't wait. In addition, we still have some plastic overdue from 2021, such as the Tempest and K2 Ambulance.

Airfix also mention that this is "The first of their announcements on new releases." Will there be more?

On FB, a lot of people have complained about the small number of new tools. Pretty impressive models though. When you look at the annual releases across the manufacturing base, Airfix have been extremely prolific since Hornby added the brand to their own. Just look at all those models released in that time, including 1/24th Mosquito, Typhoon, Hellcat and new Spitfire IXc. 3x brand new V Bombers, new Lancasters, DC3 / C-47, Blenheims, Heinkels, Dorniers, numerous fighters in 72nd and 48th. . . . . . . What a list. Other big companies are not keeping up, just reissuing their older kits with new box art and decals. Well done Airfix. Can't wait to see next year's list while I wait for this year's releases.
So many models, so little time.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Agreed, Chuck - Italeri, Revell, Heller and Hasegawa have released very few new tool aircraft over the past few years, certainly far less than Airfix.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
feanor
Active Participant

Post by feanor »

Ayup All...

So, who’s shocked at the price hikes ? Especially the Superkit Harrier doubling up ? It took me a while just to buy a new 72nd Mosquito @ £22, but we do, don’t we ? The new kit Quality is fantastic, albeit with some tight clearances, but soundly engineered. Any thoughts ?

And doesn’t the new 1:24th Spit. With the possibility of turning it into JE-J (which I will be doing as I’ve ordered two) look fantastic. I also have two prop motors saved for the occasion !
The best thing, is to keep on building. Clap your hands, stamp your feet, wiggle your fingers…
feanor
Active Participant

Post by feanor »

Gregers wrote: January 10th, 2022, 6:45 pm Four of that list will see me parting with coinage.
HMS Fearless
F80
Meteor mk8
Whirlwind

The Fiat and Boomerang are maybes. And I may stock up on a few Beavers and a couple of Bassets but I already have a couple of each.
The Spitfire IX looks superb but I doubt I will get one as I am sticking to smaller models for now.

All the best

Greg
Ayup Greg...

A man once told me you could never get enuff Beavers... Dunno what he meant ! Maybe it was this ?
The best thing, is to keep on building. Clap your hands, stamp your feet, wiggle your fingers…
feanor
Active Participant

Post by feanor »

beany wrote: January 11th, 2022, 5:55 pm I can't believe that the nearly £80 RRP price tag for the new 1/48 Buccaneer isn't raising more eyebrows. I know that it will be discounted by the larger traders and some can get the Airfix Club discount - but by comparison the new 1/24th Spit. is only the price of a Series One or Two kit beyond it.
I wouldn't mind if it was going to be festooned with PE and other goodies that you'd expect from the likes of Eduard and so on, but at the end of the day, Airfix kits are still pretty basic affairs (and I am still a huge devotee of Airfix, but have often been disappointed by their content versus pricing). I watched an interesting YouTube by Sam's Trains who was reviewing the new Hornby 2022 Range and pointed out that not only had they raised prices by 10% before Xmas but have done it again for the 2022 catalogue. Some locos in the 2021 catalogue are nearly £40 more for the same thing in 2022. The blame is - probably quite fairly - being put on the shipping and materials problems that Covid has caused, but the price hikes are not as yet being reflected by other manufacturer of model kits or trains. Perhaps Airfix are just leading the pack in this respect, but I remain to be convinced. Add to that Airfix still have concerns to address with quality control such as Classic Jaguar kits with large body parts missing and 1/48 Spitfires with horribly short shot tails and I think Airfix have some way to go to being a brand leader and maintaining the good reputation they have enjoyed recently.
Ayup Alan,

I often think they’d be been getting a little too starstruck just recently and have lost sight somewhat. But then, the finance director doesn’t usually get to get his mug on the camera to be grilled.
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

These high prices are very useful for stash reduction. Being a long-time Airfix builder and collector, there is not one 2022 release that I must have.
Apart from funds, I must also consider space and time. The expanding universe is no help at this scale. (Plenty of puns intended 😉)

David
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Airfix are just the first to release new kits in this new economic World - I would be very surprised if the other manufacturers don't hike their prices in the next month or so.

Not only are kit prices everywhere rising, but postage will start to increase, too.

I will no doubt get some new kits, but if I never bought another, I do have enough to keep me going until I'm 96 anyways...
Paul

wokka

Post by wokka »

Price of oil has shot up, wage inflation shot up last year, transportation shot up and energy costs are going through the roof so it's no wonder price rises are so noticeable. You have to remember that we've had a long period with very low inflation which followed a period of just low inflation. Manufacturers can't swallow those cost increases.
It's only pain, work through it.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Indeed - Airfix just happen to be the first.

We can whine about prices all day long but it isn't going to change them, You either cough up or don't - your choice.

So lets stick to discussing the range, please.
Paul

Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

To be honest, price hikes are inevitable. As stated elsewhere. A container from China to the UK cost around £2000. two years ago.now it is around £10000.! High volume low cost items like kits quickly become unviable commodities unless the price is increased. Extra cost to the importer causes extra cost to the distributer. Etc etc and we all feel the squeeze. The only ones making a larger profit margin are the shipping companies.
It isn't just kits, diecasts are getting much more expensive.

All the best

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein

Return to “Small Talk”