Softscience in 2022 and Beyond

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: Softscience in 2022 and Beyond

Post by JamesPerrin »

Catching up after a week away for work. Lots of great progress Ralph and the builds are going well. Excited to see some colour on the Beest.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Just random musings, but this year is shaping out to be pretty interesting as far as modeling goes (and real life too, I suppose). As we close roll into spring, I have two shelf queens completed (beaufighter started early 2023 and beaufort started late 2022) , and one more almost at the finish line (Roland CII started late 2019). There is a fourth, but I'm not sure is going to work out, so I haven't been posting on it yet.

I also have the a sudden burgeoning interest in aircraft used in Southeast and South Asia during WW II and also in biplanes; both spurred by my Vildebeest project.

I know I don't stick to modeling (or any) plans very closely, but right now the next few projects will probably be two or three from the following piles.

-Finish the Vildebeest
-Tropical flying boats (!!!)
-Austro-Hungarian weirdness (!)
-mid-1930s RAF weirdness
-Yellow winged biplanes
-LARGE scale dogfights over Malaya
-More Roland
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

We live in interesting times :wink:
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

JamesPerrin wrote: March 19th, 2024, 4:08 pm We live in interesting times :wink:
Ooof! Ain't that the truth?
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

Softscience wrote: March 19th, 2024, 2:32 pm -Finish the Vildebeest
-Tropical flying boats (!!!)
-Austro-Hungarian weirdness (!)
-mid-1930s RAF weirdness
-Yellow winged biplanes
-LARGE scale dogfights over Malaya
-More Roland
That's a varied list and no mistake! :grin:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Andy Dighton

Post by Andy Dighton »

Lots of varying stuff to look forward to.
Best wishes
Andy

My post war RAF display team page. https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=201&t=19491"
XX172 Life of a BAe Hawk 1977-2006. https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=201&t=23975
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

Good news on the real aeroplanes front!
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

I think the Roland is ostensibly done. I just need to step back from it and then review for any spots that may need touched up or final adjustments.

More pics in the aviation gallery here
B4en

Post by B4en »

Superb!
The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.
Andy Dighton

Post by Andy Dighton »

Stunning. That's all I can come up with.
Best wishes
Andy

My post war RAF display team page. https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=201&t=19491"
XX172 Life of a BAe Hawk 1977-2006. https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=201&t=23975
iggie

Post by iggie »

The Roland looks fantastic!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

First off - both the Roland and the Vilderbeast look excellent - very nicely done.
Softscience wrote: March 17th, 2024, 4:00 am
Stuart. I'm not sure I'd ever say my work is going any one way. I get bursts of intense interest in a particular thing, but then along the way, something else grabs my attention and I go on a tangent.

Right now I'm still on my Malaya Campaign kick, and a biplane kick, but next week who knows? Maybe it's going to be antarctic explorers. Hmmm...should check eBay for a Ford trimotor.. ;-)
Softscience wrote: March 19th, 2024, 2:32 pm
I also have the a sudden burgeoning interest in aircraft used in Southeast and South Asia during WW II and also in biplanes; both spurred by my Vildebeest project.
I'm the same in some ways, I'll start down down one path, see a build or GB or something that inspires me, and then go off in a completely different direction.

I've you on the South East Asia thing, I've been reading these two rather interesting books about the air war over India And Burma, a subject I admit I know nothing about - Like you I find myself wanting to learn more and build more about that theater. The Hurricane IIC I've just finished I had intended to build in SEAC markings, but alas they didn't turn up - but since putting it in African Markings, I've been reading about Neville Duke's adventures in the Desert Air Force and I find myself wanting to learn more about that campaign too. But the war against the Japanese - that's very interesting. It's part of the reason I'm keen to get past the C-130, as I want to build a lot more WWII subjects, but those that are a bit different.

I can recommend both, although the Mohawk book was hard to get at a decent price - my wife spent a few months monitoring various old book sellers before she got me a copy. But really interesting. one thing I learnt, was that before the installation of Radar in India, the RAF was using converted single seat patrolling Hawker Audax Biplanes as early waring of Japanese raids. I also didn't know that the USAAF were flying B-25's out of India.

And biplanes! Man, I really want to build biplanes, although funnily enough I find myself much more interested in those used in the late 30's and WWII.

Anyway, I'll shut up!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Oh and Trimotors - fab idea! I'd love to build some trimotors, especially on skis!

Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Stuart wrote: March 20th, 2024, 3:39 pm

I can recommend both, although the Mohawk book was hard to get at a decent price - my wife spent a few months monitoring various old book sellers before she got me a copy. But really interesting. one thing I learnt, was that before the installation of Radar in India, the RAF was using converted single seat patrolling Hawker Audax Biplanes as early waring of Japanese raids. I also didn't know that the USAAF were flying B-25's out of India.

And biplanes! Man, I really want to build biplanes, although funnily enough I find myself much more interested in those used in the late 30's and WWII.

Anyway, I'll shut up!
Holy freaking cow! This is a blast from the past. I remember getting Mohawks Over Burma from the school library, back when I was in the 8th grade. This would have been 1992 or 1993. My interest in aviation and WW II was just beginning to bubble back then, and I remember entertaining thoughts of being a military pilot (my crap right eye would force me to give up that dream, and drive me into near suicidal depression a few years later, but that is an entirely different story) and when I read that book I imagined myself up to similar adventures. If I recall, I had to return the book before I was able to finish it, and for some reason was unable to rent it out again. Maybe I had just moved on to something else then. I remember reading James Howard's biography and a fictional book about WW I pilots at around the same time. But it was instrumental in shaping my interests for many years to come.
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Softscience wrote: March 20th, 2024, 4:23 pm
Holy freaking cow! This is a blast from the past. I remember getting Mohawks Over Burma from the school library, back when I was in the 8th grade. This would have been 1992 or 1993. My interest in aviation and WW II was just beginning to bubble back then, and I remember entertaining thoughts of being a military pilot (my crap right eye would force me to give up that dream, and drive me into near suicidal depression a few years later, but that is an entirely different story) and when I read that book I imagined myself up to similar adventures. If I recall, I had to return the book before I was able to finish it, and for some reason was unable to rent it out again. Maybe I had just moved on to something else then. I remember reading James Howard's biography and a fictional book about WW I pilots at around the same time. But it was instrumental in shaping my interests for many years to come.
Same - I applied for NCO Aircrew back in the 90's and whilst I passed all the entrance exams and technical knowledge requirements - I failed miserably on the eyesight requirements - I'm still gutted to this day.

That's awesome though that you've read bits of it - I'd never heard of it until I happened a 2nd hand copy at my local aviation museum for stupid money. Sadly it's never had a reprint, so the 80's copies are all there are - you can pick them up from the likes of ebay, but the cheapest I've found was £40 - £50. I feel rather lucky to have this copy. I think there is an on-line PDF copy somewhere.

Return to “Workbench Window”