Softscience in 2022 and Beyond

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Re: Softscience in 2022

Post by Stuart »

Nice - I was going to say F-4 or F-15 but David beat me to it.

It's a good idea. I find, when building modern jets, that if you leave this kind stuff until the end of the build it's a really mojo killer.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Yeah. I found that it's a mono killer at the beginning too. :)

The Tamiya kit is splendid, but it's just more model than I feel like handling right now. I painted up a few cockpit parts but I'm really keen on completing something to offset the feeling of treading water as I slowly inch along on the Sherman tracks ( i got about 10-12 links left per side, then the duckbill connectors). A big complex 1/48 jet is not the answer here.

So I pulled down a shelf queen; Academy's F-8E, which I last out aside around 2018. I'm not sure why, because the model is going well. Maybe it's the zillion decals. I hate doing decals.

Anyway, i finished them over the course of the last week. Now the fun part of weathering!!!

skypirate
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by skypirate »

That looks great, Ralph! You can't have too many Crusaders! (Says he who has only one on display :sad: )
I have just bought a super-detail set cheap for one of these, so I hope to get around to it!

David
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Oh yeah, just looking at that makes me want to rush out and buy one.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That Crusader is looking good, Ralph, "The Last Of The Gunfighters"!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

That look excellent Ralph, asides form the fact it's a colourful Crusader, that's a nice bit of smooth painting and whatever you've put over it - is it a wash or a filter (which is pretty much the same thing I know)?

johnsan

Post by johnsan »

Howzit, Ralph!

Stunning work! I particularly like the F-8, but everything looks really good. It does seem from your commentary that you're unhappy with the process. I suggest this is an area to reassess your modeling approach.

My approach to similar tasks is to break the task into several smaller sessions, put some music I like as background, maybe have a little modeling fluid for lubrication, try to approach a Zenlike state of mind, and model away until task is finished. I once upon a time used to dread masking canopies. I now enjoy doing canopies because I changed my mental approach to the task. This is now soothing aspect of the hobby for me.

I hope I haven't overstepped any boundaries or presumed too much.
Really nothing pithy to say.
Impisi

Post by Impisi »

Yes, the Crusader does look good
johnsan wrote: February 4th, 2022, 5:47 am My approach to similar tasks is to break the task into several smaller sessions, put some music I like as background, maybe have a little modeling fluid for lubrication, try to approach a Zenlike state of mind, and model away until task is finished. I once upon a time used to dread masking canopies. I now enjoy doing canopies because I changed my mental approach to the task. This is now soothing aspect of the hobby for me.
I only can second this. My approach is listen to audio books. Sometimes I can't wait to start the aaudio book just to hear how this is going on. So while sitting at my corner listen to a book, looking to the model I'm doing at the moment I automatically start doing something.
Cheers
Martin

my recent builds
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Impisi wrote: February 4th, 2022, 8:33 am Yes, the Crusader does look good
johnsan wrote: February 4th, 2022, 5:47 am My approach to similar tasks is to break the task into several smaller sessions, put some music I like as background, maybe have a little modeling fluid for lubrication, try to approach a Zenlike state of mind, and model away until task is finished. I once upon a time used to dread masking canopies. I now enjoy doing canopies because I changed my mental approach to the task. This is now soothing aspect of the hobby for me.
I only can second this. My approach is listen to audio books. Sometimes I can't wait to start the aaudio book just to hear how this is going on. So while sitting at my corner listen to a book, looking to the model I'm doing at the moment I automatically start doing something.

I'm actually on board with both of you in the drinking and listening part of modeling. I like to lubricate my modeling sessions with a nice bourbon or wine, and I'll have podcasts or audiobooks on. Lately it's been a lot of John Michael Godier's astronomy and cosmology stuff. The topics, presented in his dulcet tones, along with Chris Zabresky outer space music in the background are grand.

It isn't that I'm not enjoying myself with the models. I just kind of burned out. Which is why I've been doing it a little less often, lately.

Still, the builds keep happening, and progress gets made.

For example.

I'm finally done with the main links on the Sherman. I'm now adding the extenders. You can see three added in the photo below. They're not too hard to clean up, and they fit okay. Since the picture was taken, I've finished almost half of one run. I should be painting in a few more nights.

And more on the F-8. I finished the gear and grunged it up a little to represent a heavily worked plane station at Da Nang. The weathering appears more stark in the photos than it does in real life, but there are a few spots where I need to tone down the oil work. Easily done with some white spirits dampened brush. Then time to seal it all under an mostly flat coat.
L

Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Stuart wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 10:14 pm That look excellent Ralph, asides form the fact it's a colourful Crusader, that's a nice bit of smooth painting and whatever you've put over it - is it a wash or a filter (which is pretty much the same thing I know)?
I think what you're seeing is just the black-basing showing through on the panel lines. I painted the whole model black and then applied light layers of the topcoat. It gives you so e very minor tone variation and deep areas, like panel lines, don't fill up with as much paint, so they appear darker.

There were no washes or filters on the model at that stage. There's some light oil work now. Not sure it would be considered a wash, though. Who knows? Who cares? ;-)
Impisi

Post by Impisi »

Those Track madness would be nothing for me ...

I like your Crusader - Vietnam in my head does have a very iron oxide red tinted earth, so the dust wolud be quite the same color - so yeah that used look does make sense. I have the old Esci Crusader in 48 in my stash ... one day
Cheers
Martin

my recent builds
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Softscience wrote: February 7th, 2022, 5:21 am
Stuart wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 10:14 pm That look excellent Ralph, asides form the fact it's a colourful Crusader, that's a nice bit of smooth painting and whatever you've put over it - is it a wash or a filter (which is pretty much the same thing I know)?
I think what you're seeing is just the black-basing showing through on the panel lines. I painted the whole model black and then applied light layers of the topcoat. It gives you so e very minor tone variation and deep areas, like panel lines, don't fill up with as much paint, so they appear darker.

There were no washes or filters on the model at that stage. There's some light oil work now. Not sure it would be considered a wash, though. Who knows? Who cares? ;-)
That's cool - the black basing works well as a technique, it even works with brushes.

Who cares indeed - good attitude. As long as you like the effect that's the main thing. It's looks excellent.

Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Impisi wrote: February 7th, 2022, 11:46 am Those Track madness would be nothing for me ...

I like your Crusader - Vietnam in my head does have a very iron oxide red tinted earth, so the dust wolud be quite the same color - so yeah that used look does make sense. I have the old Esci Crusader in 48 in my stash ... one day
it isn't just dust - in fact I don't know that too much dust collects on a functioning airplane, but mechanical lubricants, mechanics' dirty hands, the sludge that accumulates during monsoon, etc. The result is a patina of grime.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Nice one, Ralph!

I've started black-basing my models, too, especially the NMF finishes. I need to work at it, but it has promise!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Stuart wrote: February 7th, 2022, 7:09 pm
That's cool - the black basing works well as a technique, it even works with brushes.

Really? I've never seen it attempted. That's cool to know!

Return to “Workbench Window”