RIP - Alan Ashdown (Splash)

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
chrism
Modelling Gent and Scholar

RIP - Alan Ashdown (Splash)

Post by chrism »

I have just this morning learnt that Alan died yesterday.

Both his son and wife were with him, and he died peacefully at home.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
iggie

Re: RIP - Alan Ashdown (Splash)

Post by iggie »

Terrible news. Alway a gentleman.
RIP Alan
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Yes, thanks for posting it. I had just got the same news off FB and was about to post it here.

A real loss to his family and UAMF.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

Oh, no. Such a positive presence in the forum. Condolences to his family and friends.
With respect,
M.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Just saw this on Facebook.

For those who don't FB, here's what his son said:

"Yesterday morning we sadly lost my dad , Mum and I were by dads side through the night in his home while he peacefully passed away after struggling with a brain tumour for 14 months, Dad battled it with everything he could like he had through his whole life , Dad was very clever and always had his sense of humour to bring everyone through, Dad is an absolute legend and those who know him will never forget what joy he bought to all of lives , Rest in peace dad love you always 💙💙💙xx"

Although I never had the pleasure of meeting Alan, through our interactions here I knew him as a funny guy, a terrific modeller and an all round good chap - always willing to help and with a store of funny stories. I am very saddened by his passing. My condolences to the entire Ashdown family.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Oh no that’s such sad news. I was thinking about him just a couple of days ago wondering how he was doing, I had my fingers crossed that he’d eventually recover enough to rejoin the forum. He was a significant contributor and a fantastic member of our community. He cut some vinyl masks for me even when he was ill. Goodbye mate.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
wokka

Post by wokka »

That is a great loss, he was the first to welcome me on this site and not only able to have a joke but could take one as well. I for one will remember him and his excellent models.
It's only pain, work through it.
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Well that's just bloody awful news. Like James I was only thinking about Splash recently and missing his input on the forum. I never had the pleasure of meeting him but just from his interactions on here and on Facebook he seemed like a totally great guy. I'm already feeling his loss keenly so my thoughts and sincere condolences go out to his family and every one else who knew him and no doubt loved him. RIP Splash mate - you will be missed and lovingly remembered.
Beany.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Damn. The news I have been dreading for months. I always loved his builds, knowledge of modelling and aviation/naval matters and his sense of humour. I had hoped to meet him in 2020 before Covid cancelled a trip I had planned around SMW that year.

Sincerest condolences to his family and friends, of which there seem to have been many. I miss his participation here.

David
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

Oh no, this is awful news. I adored his attitude and input on this forum. He was one of the people whose approach to our hobby made me keen to join this forum.
I also remember his positive attitude he demonstrated towards his health problems and very scary operations. And his lovely wife helping with his forum contributions.
Very sad and he will be sorely missed.
My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Zee28
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

What terrible news. I'd also been wondering recently how Alan was doing and I also hoped that he would recover sufficiently to return to the forum. I never had the pleasure of meeting him but he sent me a couple of items over the years, not because I specifically asked but because he thought I would like them. A great member of the forum who I'm sure will be greatly missed. My sincere condolences to his family and friends. And one last point, when we feel the time is right we must honour him like we have other members who have sadly left us in recent years with a group build based on his interests.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
wokka

Post by wokka »

I am in total agreement with that.
It's only pain, work through it.
Miss-Stang
Active Participant

Post by Miss-Stang »

I've just learnt of this terrible news and my heart goes out to his family. Although never having had the pleasure of meeting this great guy, he was always such a cheerful and positive contributor to our forum. He always had a kind word and made everyone feel welcome on here, I'll never forget his encouraging words.
My sincerest condolences to his family, especially his wife who helped him to continue to contribute to the forum after his operation. He will be sadly missed.
Regards,

Miss-Stang
iggie

Post by iggie »

ShaunW wrote: April 17th, 2022, 4:56 pm And one last point, when we feel the time is right we must honour him like we have other members who have sadly left us in recent years with a group build based on his interests.
Indeed, a great idea 👍
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

A sad loss, RIP Alan.
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum

Return to “Small Talk”