Atlantic Models 1/350th HMS Cleopatra

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Atlantic Models 1/350th HMS Cleopatra

Post by Dazzled »

For those unfamiliar with the company, Peter Hall's Atlantic Models produce highly detailed multi-media kits of nautical subjects as well as etched detail sets and other accessories. The website is well worth checking out.

https://atlanticmodels.net/

The subject of this review is Peter's amazing rendition of the Leander Class Frigate HMS Cleopatra. Kit no ATK 35006; part of the "Cold War" range.

The kit arrives in a sturdy high quality cardboard box with parts bagged and bubble-wrapped and the box filled with polystyrene beans to protect it from the worst ministrations of any delivery service.

The kit is, as stated, multi-media; consisting of 19 parts in cream coloured resin including the upper hull, lower hull and superstructure; 42 parts in white metal including gun barrels and life raft containers; an extremely comprehensive, and frankly quite stunning, etched brass sheet; waterslide decals and a couple of short lengths of styrene rod.

So, let's take a look in more detail:

The upper and lower hulls.

These are superb, blemish free castings that fit together very well with absolutely no sign of warping.

The main superstructure.

Incredibly crisply cast although this does exhibit a slight unevenness on the lower face that prevents it from sitting flush to the deck. That said, the resin is soft and easy to sand/carve so I don't see any major issues.

One thing that I absolutely love about this part is...

...a detailed helicopter hangar; how cool is that 8-) . It's even easy to attach the door fully or partly open to display this.

Other parts in resin...

The 4.5" gun turret, ships boats and Limbo anti-submarine mortar plus a couple of other parts. The mouldings are exceptional. As are the funnel, masts and hangar roof.

Probably my favourite resin part is the Wasp helicopter.

The etched sheet contains detail parts for this; main/tail rotors, undercarriage and floatation racks.

The white metal parts are pretty good too; certainly as good as anybody is likely to get in white metal.

And then there's the incredible etch; Mr Hall's forte in my opinion.

Not just your usual handrails in here, no siree. Amongst other things you get a generous amount of chain stock, nameplates for all ships in the class, missiles, davits, AA guns; it's utterly stunning.

In addition to the nameplates, Atlantic Models also provide suitable decals for all the ships in the class.

So if you have accurate info about a particular ship, this will make it that little bit easier to build it.

And finally, the instructions.

Again, these are really nicely and thoughtfully produced.

Construction emphasis is placed upon substructures. In truth any modeller who buys this type of kit isn't going to have any issues with how the major sub-assemblies go together so this approach makes perfect sense. Colour call outs are for Humbrol numbers so no difficulty cross referencing with your favourite paint manufacturer if you so desire. There's even info on helicopter markings for the different vessels in the class.

I've just put a sample of the instructions on here but, for anybody who is curious about building one of these kits, Atlantic Models have their instruction sheets available to download from their website.

Conclusion:

It has to be said that this isn't a cheap kit but given the quality of the parts, the obvious expertise and, dare I say it, love that's gone into producing this kit I do think that it's excellent value for money. It's certainly not for the inexperienced modeller but if you have a couple of larger ship projects under your belt then this or one of Atlantic's smaller ships could be an ideal introduction into this type of kit. I, for one, am very much looking forward to starting this kit and I'm sure it'll provide a good springboard to tackle the much larger HMS Glamorgan I have in my stash.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
iggie

Re: Atlantic Models 1/350th HMS Cleopatra

Post by iggie »

Great review 👍 I have recently received the 1/600 etch sheet for Fearless from Peter; a very nice looking set indeed and excellent service from Peter during ordering.
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Looks a great kit. The Leanders were good-looking ships, weren't they?

David
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

DavidWomby wrote: May 13th, 2022, 11:09 pm Looks a great kit. The Leanders were good-looking ships, weren't they?

David
I agree David; certainly very distinctive and by all accounts the flared bow gave them excellent protection in rough seas.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Oooh, that looks so nice! Can't wait until he releases his Battle Class....
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Step away from me, temptress :) Not for this ship, but the Atlantic ships do look good. Must resist !
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Looks like a very nice comprehensive kit.

Nigel
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Great review of a lovely looking kit, Daz and the detailed hangar is indeed a great feature plus that PE looks excellent. Your previous mentions of this kit also made me look at Atlantic's website and certainly their kits don't fall into the pocket money bracket but quality never comes cheap.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I also looked at the website, now I'm having visions of the steam gunboat ....
iggie

Post by iggie »

JohnRatzenberger wrote: May 14th, 2022, 2:44 pm I also looked at the website, now I'm having visions of the steam gunboat ....
Resistance is futile, I believe the saying has it...😁
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I’m improving- I did not click the order button at first look. But I did scroll down the rest of the category and think about MTBs and MGBs then I stepped away from the keyboard but made a sticky note so I’ll be back.

I do have to admit I like hulls and lots of superstructure parts, I’m not quite ready for that much pre-assembled yet.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Funnily enough, looking at the various MTBs in the Atlantic range made me start thinking of the classic Airfix Vosper, E Boat and RAF rescue launch kits that I built in my youth. Oh my, I have enough unbuilt kits. Don't I? Perhaps you lot aren't the best audience to pose that question to 🤣
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
iggie

Post by iggie »

ShaunW wrote: May 14th, 2022, 5:03 pm Funnily enough, looking at the various MTBs in the Atlantic range made me start thinking of the classic Airfix Vosper, E Boat and RAF rescue launch kits that I built in my youth. Oh my, I have enough unbuilt kits. Don't I? Perhaps you lot aren't the best audience to pose that question to 🤣
You're right; we're not and you don't....😁
Best wishes

Jim
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I am spared looking at their White Ensign range - I think I have many of them already.

BTW, let me be first to apologize to Dazzled for hijacking his thread :)
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

It screams quality and the instructions look very good. Should be an enjoyable build.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)

Return to “In-Box reviews”