MCC, Hinckley

Recommendations of all those increasingly rare LMS's in a town near you, so the rest of us can find them and marvel! Also, the places near you where blokes approach you, furtively clutching the latest SAMI and smelling of resin.
flakmonkey
Modelling Gent and Scholar

MCC, Hinckley

Post by flakmonkey »

Brand new place, and very interesting in its concept and business model.

This is a venture of Bachmann, who distribute a lot of model railway stuff, and are also the UK distributors for Academy, Trumpeter, HK Models, AK Interactive, Mig, and probably a few others. They are based just down the road, in Barwell, famous for its Council run tip.

Probably 2/3 of the very well fitted out shop is dedicated to model railways, but there is a significant number of plastic kits on sale. Two things make it a very interesting place. First, there is a large and well equipped modelling table, where customers can try their hand at making a model. When I visited, there was a very well assembled, albeit entirely unpainted, 1.32 HK Lancaster sitting in pride of place, and a staff member assembling a 1/48 B-17 with the enthusiastic assistance of a group of budding young modellers. Brilliant.

The second thing that makes it very interesting is the business model. Bachmann say they are not in it for profit, but rather to nurture and encourage new modellers of all ages. For that reason, I'll be supporting them as much as I can.

Good selection of kits, albeit restricted to manufacturers that Bachmann distribute, at good prices. I picked up an Academy 1/72 OV-10A for £8.99, and that's a really nice kit too. I'm very interested in trying out the AK range of paints and so this will be a handy place.

Highly recommended if, for some obscure reason, you ever have to visit this part of the world.
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?

Return to “Are You Local? Model Shops and Clubs”