3 NEW Spitfire Mk Ia Kits in 1/48th

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
Chuck E
Established 1949

3 NEW Spitfire Mk Ia Kits in 1/48th

Post by Chuck E »

I am a bit of a Spitfire collector, in small scales, at least. I thought that a personal group build of the 3 latest releases may be of interest.

Airfix. Latest issue. 2 previous.

Tamiya. Latest issue. 2 previous.

Eduard. New issue of the Ia from the first versions to the last.

Currently at this point . . . . . . . Eduard, Tamiya and Airfix.

Here is the Album . . . . . . .

https://www.flickr.com/photos/23594891@ ... 5463028262
So many models, so little time.
Chuck E
Established 1949

Re: 3 NEW Spitfire Mk Ia Kits in 1/48th

Post by Chuck E »

A few notes.

All kits are really good on shape and accuracy. Panel lines are all restrained and very neatly done, with Eduard really doing a superb job in this area. Only Eduard provide an etched instrument panel in their release, though they also provide a standard plastic part with a decal, the same as the other two kits. As I was using Eduard Overtrees for the build, I used their decal over plastic version. I will be doing a super detailed version later.

Eduard are to be congratulated for their superb surface detail, number of versions on offer, huge decal sheet, loads of alternate parts, loads of schemes and the added bonus of their excellent etched parts and masks. I am very impressed by their issue of extra Sprue sets at knock down rates, that will allow you to do more of the versions in the comprehensive instruction book. In the builds, I have just used the plastic parts from one of these extra sprue sets.

Tamiya, as expected, was a breeze to build, as the fit of the parts was very good. There are some nicely thought out assembly features, especially around the undercarriage assemblies. These ensure excellent positioning of the strong undercarriage legs. 3 good decal choices, a neat etched set, masks are icing on the cake.

Airfix have done a nice job of their third release. This is the second one I've built. It is a precision model and has proved to be the easiest of the three to assemble. In fact, I had the main assembly complete and ready for painting in just one 5 hour session. Again, there are three schemes and alternative parts to match the featured aircraft. Airfix is the only kit that has no etched parts, but most would be hidden in the cockpit anyway.

Airfix have included guns and ammo boxes for the inboard guns, but you will have to cut out the access panels to see them. Easy enough to do, as Airfix have included replacement doors for them.

I'm happy with the value for money aspect of all three kits and would recommend them all. I have no real issues with any of them. With being very detailed and very well moulded, you need to match their precision in your assembly. The instructions can be a bit confusing, so please take great care thinking about your sub assembly builds.

The paints used on these kits has been Tamiya for internals, as it paints on quickly and dries quickly, too. Externally, I have used Humbrol Rattle Cans and Acrylic pots.

The new Tamiya masking tape, including sheets, has been marvelous. Plastic Magic cement has been perfect. Only the Airfix Undercarriage legs needed super glue to make them strong enough, but once in place, they are fine.

The only filler needed was a tiny amount of Valejo plastic putty in odd places, where a tiny line appeared. Upper nose joints for instance.

I'm really enjoying this project. I will soon be able to display the whole range of variations from these manufacturers.
So many models, so little time.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: 3 NEW Spitfire Mk Ia Kits in 1/48th

Post by PaulBradley »

Very cool review and report - thanks for sharing! I've built both the Tamiya and Airfix kits and have enjoyed both - I ought to pick up an Eduard one at some point I suppose!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"

Return to “In-Box reviews”