Zvezda 1:144 Shchuka Submarine

If it goes on or under the wet stuff and doesn't fly, it's in here.
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Zvezda 1:144 Shchuka Submarine

Post by Canuck2016 »

Good day all!

This is Zvezda's 1:144 scale Shchuka-class submarine. I like the lines of this sub, which I think look quite modern and even sporty, given its WW II vintage. I also love the Warhammery-looking net cutter on the bow!

Not much to say about the kit. It all went together reasonably well, although in this scale some of the parts were very weak and fiddly. This was built OOB except that I replaced the masts on the deck with metal wire and used E-Z Line for the rigging. The decals performed very well with a bit of Microsol. These include markings for four different vessels, and some very nice gold-effect text for the name plate.

Have a great day!

DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Zvezda 1:144 Shchuka Submarine

Post by DavidWomby »

Interesting design for a WW2 submarine and neatly modelled.

David
iggie

Post by iggie »

Nice work! Interesting that the box art appears to ignore what is a very serious looking net cutter, given how prominent it is on the model!
The conning tower has a distinct similarity to that of the far more modern Akula-class...
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

iggie wrote: October 7th, 2022, 11:15 pm Nice work! Interesting that the box art appears to ignore what is a very serious looking net cutter, given how prominent it is on the model!
The conning tower has a distinct similarity to that of the far more modern Akula-class...
Thanks, Iggie! To be fair to the boxtop artist, I guess not all these subs had the net cutter. If the painting directions are anything to go by, it seems the northern fleet didn't have them, while the Black Sea fleet did. The kit gives you the choice of either, but how could I resist? :)
Tarkas
Active Participant

Post by Tarkas »

iggie wrote: October 7th, 2022, 11:15 pmThe conning tower has a distinct similarity to that of the far more modern Akula-class...
Yes, it does. If I hadn't known that it was a Soviet sub from the thread title and the box, I could have guessed it from the conning "tower" shape (not very much of a tower, really... :mrgreen:). Very characteristic of the Akula and other contemporary and later Sov/Russian classes.

Lovely-looking model, too. Even the hull shape seems to predict the future.
Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox, sometimes...
Bissyboat

Post by Bissyboat »

Very nice sub. I like the prominent net cutter.
"We're going to need a bigger boat"

Return to “Ships, Boats and Submarines”