Group Builds Going Forward

Here's where the general chat and organization of Group/Shared Builds takes place, with Guidelines, the GB/SB Calendar, and an Index to completed GBs.

Moderator: PaulBradley

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: Group Builds Going Forward

Post by PaulBradley »

JohnRatzenberger wrote: August 25th, 2023, 9:40 pm
PaulBradley wrote: August 13th, 2023, 2:31 pm
JohnRatzenberger wrote: August 13th, 2023, 2:22 am I know I've always argued for focus, but these anniversary GB's are just plane limiting. We need to open up to creativity.
One of the issues is that many of us are primarily aircraft modellers - that is just the way it is; you know that from IPMS. But many themed GBs in an historical context have plenty of scope for non-aircraft builders if a little creativity is applied. An Operation Dragoon GB - just to randomly pluck an idea that was recently suggested - could include aircraft, tanks, military vehicles, ships, figures, even cars - civilian vehicles operated by the Resistance, for example. Thinking about it, the Berlin Wall GB idea has even more scope. As you say, it just needs a little creativity.
But this approach keeps asking the non-/c builders to be the “creative” ones - the a/c types just haul out something suitable.
And...? You were the one asking for creativity... ;-)
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

JohnRatzenberger wrote: August 25th, 2023, 10:01 pm We are, again going at this wrong. We talked about a desireable number and agreed that 9 plus 2 blitz’s was a good target. We made no limits on type or length other than that.

The BB software allows 12 poll options.
The 2 Blitz would not be included, they are fixed, so we are selecting the other 9 by number of votes.

Every proposed should have a statement of purpose - there are some good ones already.

If we have more than 12 proposals, then we have a more than one round of voting by dividing the list and working it down.
We, now, already have 8 GB suggestions with enough participants, so is there really need for a vote there?

1. Weather/Climate named subjects, GBL TeeEll
2. C-130, GBL Stuart
3. Did Not Finish (but will now!), GBL TeeEll
4. Aerobatic Teams, GBL iggie
5. Road and Track, the civvie vehicle GB, GBL AndrewR
6. Sherman tank et ses derives, GBL PaulB
7. Characature Kits GB, GBs flakmonkey, JohnRatz
8. Latin America GB, GBL Craig planecrazyman

To my eye, that's a very good mix of genres and subjects.

So we're really down to needing one more GB. There have been a few good suggestions, so I could set up a poll for those for the remaining spot?
Paul

AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

PaulBradley wrote: August 28th, 2023, 2:04 am
So we're really down to needing one more GB. There have been a few good suggestions, so I could set up a poll for those for the remaining spot?
Good idea 💡
Up in the Great White North
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

AndrewR wrote: August 28th, 2023, 12:34 pm
PaulBradley wrote: August 28th, 2023, 2:04 am
Good idea 💡
Just a thought - but rather than filling up the calendar now, is it worth keeping back a slot in case someone has a good idea for a GB later on?
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

The idea behind this approach is to get around the very haphazard approach we had previously, which didn't seem to be working for everyone. By having this stability, we can plan ahead as individuals and as a group, and we can ensure the diversity of ideas that people want. Which I think this crop of ideas for 2024, does. The proto-ideas put forward that could end up in a vote for the last spot are interesting and diverse.

Once we have a calendar for 2024, we can save ideas for 2025, as we did this year. What we lose in spontaneity, we gain in diversity and stability.
Paul

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

PaulBradley wrote: August 28th, 2023, 2:49 pm The idea behind this approach is to get around the very haphazard approach we had previously, which didn't seem to be working for everyone. By having this stability, we can plan ahead as individuals and as a group, and we can ensure the diversity of ideas that people want. Which I think this crop of ideas for 2024, does. The proto-ideas put forward that could end up in a vote for the last spot are interesting and diverse.

Once we have a calendar for 2024, we can save ideas for 2025, as we did this year. What we lose in spontaneity, we gain in diversity and stability.
Fair enough Paul, that makes sense.

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

That approach works, even if we have slots open at the start of the year.
If we keep the available (leftover) list, we can vote one off that list to fill that slot.
Any new suggestions would go into that pool, not the top of the list.
The question becomes when actually calendaring the 2024 list, where do we leave the empty slot ? Perhaps when dates for the exisiting list are suggested it will become more obvious.
The tension mounts.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

If we need some more ideas - how about a masochistic PM model kit GB :-D

jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Great minds, Stuart. I was just thinking Starfix.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

jssel wrote: August 30th, 2023, 2:19 pm Great minds, Stuart. I was just thinking Starfix.
:-D :-D :-D

H-bomb
Is His Name Really Howard?

Post by H-bomb »

Stuart wrote: August 30th, 2023, 2:32 pm
jssel wrote: August 30th, 2023, 2:19 pm Great minds, Stuart. I was just thinking Starfix.
:-D :-D :-D
Or even a zhengdefu GB
Cheers Howhorrible
acquired 1
Built 2
Disposed none

On the bench. Airfix Handley Page 0/400 , Escadron Hunting Percival Pembroke
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

I have a couple of Czech limited run kits to do - think Pegasus kits, but without the refinement. :lol:
Up in the Great White North
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Ugh, I have enough trouble finishing sometimes as it is.....!

Back in the day when I worked at the hospital, the head nurse bought us all a little Christmas gift. She knew I built models and that (at the time) Messerschmitts were my thing. She handed my gift to me with a big smile and said "I hope you enjoy this". I opened it to find.... a Starfix Bf109....! Quite possibly the worst 109 kit ever created. I didn't need to feign surprise, as I was definitely surprised! I put on my best cheesy grin and could honestly say "I don't have one of these!" I DID build it - and it was as bad as you might imagine, but I did get use out of it - it was my airbrush target in my spray booth for years, until the layers of paint got too thick.....
Paul

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

JohnRatzenberger wrote: August 29th, 2023, 2:22 pm That approach works, even if we have slots open at the start of the year.
If we keep the available (leftover) list, we can vote one off that list to fill that slot.
Any new suggestions would go into that pool, not the top of the list.
The question becomes when actually calendaring the 2024 list, where do we leave the empty slot ? Perhaps when dates for the exisiting list are suggested it will become more obvious.
The tension mounts.
Yes, we can accumulate more ideas and leave one slot open that we can poll it later - good idea!

So we have 8 GBs set for 2024 - we can start talking about calendar options. I'll close this thread and start a new one.
Paul

Return to “The Group/Shared Build Chat”