ICM 1/72: DKM Type-27B, Seehund midget submarine

If it goes on or under the wet stuff and doesn't fly, it's in here.
PropWash
Active Participant

ICM 1/72: DKM Type-27B, Seehund midget submarine

Post by PropWash »

I had to have a couple of mental health days to check-out from the real world for a bit. I thought getting lost in a model build would be just the ticket to unstress. ;-)

Subject

The subject of my build is the WWII German Type XXVIIB midget submarine, called the Seehund (Seal). The Seehund was one of several types of midget submarines built by the German Navy (DKM) in the latter stages of the war. Construction, on the B-varient, began in late 1944 with almost 300 completed by war's end. Of the German midget submarines, this version was considered to be the most successful with having sunk eight Allied ships, while also damaging three others, with a loss of only 35 submarines (mostly to poor weather). The Seehund carried a crew of two, was armed with two G7e electric torpedoes (mounted externally on the sides of the submarine), operated with diesel and electric motors with a range of up to 186 miles (300 km).

Kit

My kit is from ICM ( # S-0006) and represents an early-model Type 27B submarine (ICM makes two versions of this submarine, and early and a late version that differ with the late version having saddle-tanks and a different rudder assembly). The kit is quite simple, really, with under fifty parts (several of which are not used as they are for the late version - the parts sprue is shared between the kits) that are crisp and with little flash.

The instructions are simple and easy to follow. However, I would have appreciated better detail at some stages of the assembly. Decals are supplied for two submarines (U-5329 and U-5022). There is third number on the decal sheet, but that is for a late version Seehund (another shared component). The decal guide fails to show the depth markings which are easy to miss on the decal sheet itself. I used the box-art (on online searches) to figure out placement.

The plastic used is of very good quality. Detail was quite good as well.

The Build

I really got this kit built and painted in only a few hours (good Blitzbau fodder ;-) ). The kit has only a few minor flaws:

1. The submarine is missing handles at the bow and stern (possibly to small to cast in this scale?).

2. The hatch is solid and not a clear "bubble" as it should be. The instructions have you paint this part "silver" to mimic what it's supposed to be. I did that, but then poured clear canopy cement over that. When it dried it made a fairly convincing bubble-top. :-D

3. the conning tower is missing several ports in the front (below the splash-shield).

As it is to cold to be in the garage using my airbrush for painting, I used a brush to apply paint. I didn't think I would do a good job hand-painting the spotted camo version of the sub (U-5329). So I did the Light Ghost Gray version that is U-5022. Using a variety of online sources, I tried to find a good painting guide for the G7e torpedoes. I think I came close (although I should probably have used gold paint instead of flat brass for the warheads). After all had dried, I gave the sub a light wash.

The decal, 22 (for U-5022), is for a training submarine from Lehrkommando 300, based in Surendorfer in May, 1945. This unit trained midget submarine crews (specifically Seehund crews) and was part of Flotilla 312.

Conclusions

This is a fun and easy kit to build. The subject matter is interesting as well. While it would have been nice to have markings for better-known Seehunds (such as those which actually made successful attacks), I guess the training school can get a little love too. I also like that the torpedoes can be easily removed from the submarine if you so desire. The kit only has minor shortcomings so it, in my opinion, is a nifty kit to consider if you want something different for your naval collection.

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: ICM 1/72: DKM Type-27B, Seehund midget submarine

Post by PaulBradley »

Very cool and very different!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Clashcityrocker
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Sweet little submarine.

Nigel
iggie

Post by iggie »

That's really neat 👍
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Andy Dighton

Post by Andy Dighton »

Neat. Nice to see something different.
Best wishes
Andy

My post war RAF display team page. https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=201&t=19491"
XX172 Life of a BAe Hawk 1977-2006. https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=201&t=23975
Tim Reynaga
Active Participant

Post by Tim Reynaga »

Yours is an appealing build of a truly unusual subject. I appreciate how you just moved past the kit's minor shortcomings and just had fun with it. Gotta love those minisubs!
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

Sweet little build
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That is something a bit different and is very nicely done.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Bissyboat

Post by Bissyboat »

that´s a nice salty sea dog.
"We're going to need a bigger boat"

Return to “Ships, Boats and Submarines”