Matchbox 1/32 Citroen 11 Legere "Coupe" *FINISHED*

Time to pimp them rides!
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Matchbox 1/32 Citroen 11 Legere "Coupe" *FINISHED*

Post by JamesPerrin »

So I pulled this kit out of the stash almost a two years ago however it kind of stalled as for some reason I could not get my head around how best to construct the body as a single piece for painting as the instructions have you build it on the the floor pan. So apart from the engine and a few bulkheads it didn't progress. I restarted work a couple of weeks ago hoping to build it for the now cancelled Leeds models show that CBK was going to attend. So I've mainly just been prepping all the parts and sorting them for their first coat of primer/paint. Obviously I had stripped the chrome from the parts some time ago. I'll be building the Coupe version as this is much cooler than the cabriolet :grin:

The kit like all the cars is impressively detailed - this mould is 42 years old now. The clear part though let the side down with multiple flow lines visible in all the cabin glazing.

I built the body around the floor pan to get the correct alignment without attaching it. Once I bit the bullet it became clear that this was rather straight forward to build a separate assembly. Also I found that if you'd followed the instructions and glued the sides in place to the engine firewall then the distance across is too narrow for the bottom of the windscreen. A lot of clamping joins one at time was done to get the best possible fit of the parts. I've yet to had the front fenders which are tenuously linked by a thin hoop, forming the lower shape of the distinctive grill, so I've left part of the sprue in place until I'm ready to attach. I'm also thinking about having the bonnet hinge; testing with masking tape. I think it would work if one side is glued in place but you lose access to the engine detail on that side.

Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Bissyboat
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Matchbox 1/32 Citroen 11 Legere "Coupe"

Post by Bissyboat »

This is French royalty. Have fun.
"We're going to need a bigger boat"
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Gorgeous looking shape to that car.

David
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

Late 80s I used to pass one of these everyday on the way to work. Always loved the shape.
Watching avidly.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
IvanV22

Post by IvanV22 »

I just love the look of these old cars, now they all look alike!
Looking forward to seeing more, am working on an old monogram Cadillac myself.
Best from Ivan
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I don't recall ever seeing one of these built before; looking forward to this....no pressure James :lol:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I've been working on the body in short bursts the last week. Seam lines filled, the front wings carefully attached using the bonnet parts to align everything as accurately as possible. There is a stylistic bulge that runs along the top edge of the doors and extends down the sides. The later parts was missing so I added some card and sanded to shape - it may need some further blending with primer. I decided to make the bonnet one piece so it fits correctly once on but will be removable.

mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

Looks very stylish, James, and good work on getting the body to hold together. I remember all the fun I had with the Heller Delahaye, which had a very similar breakdown (a word I use advisedly...)
best,
M.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Thanks Matt, I need to remember to test the window fit before I throw paint at this. Without the show deadline I can waste spend more time fettling the fit.
iggie

Post by iggie »

It's a very elegant shaped car for sure! The boot looks big enough for a couple of seats to be fitted as well!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

They are are a truly beautiful car in the flesh. They also came as a "town car" 4seater which explains the size of the coupes boot.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

general rocket wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 2:39 pm They are are a truly beautiful car in the flesh. They also came as a "town car" 4seater which explains the size of the coupes boot.
You've just reminded me that I have some photos....

... this is from a strange coincident when we came across a Dutch Vintage Citroen owners club who were touring the UK, we bumped into them a the Dumfries Aviation Museum which was fortunate as the museum was only open that day (run by volunteers) because they had arranged to stop there.
Bissyboat

Post by Bissyboat »

Good progress on the car. Nice line up of classic Citroens.
"We're going to need a bigger boat"
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

As with all these MB cars the engine is a a little cracker, lots of fine and accurate detail. Only change was part 47, this rod should be pointing down not up. Engines used to be green which was nice - I went with Hu Mid Green rather than the suggested darker Brunswick, though it needed coat of gloss over the matt finished. Various shades of metal and black/dark grey used over the rest of the parts. I attached it to the front axel radiator assembly before drilling the holes for added cables made from solder and fine wire, which made things trickier than needed.

So I did test the fit of the windows, three out of four fit beautifully, unfortunately the windscreen is a bit of a shocker as there is almost a 1mm horizontal gap. Having a look around this is evident on other builds of the coupe version.

Now I might have been able to mitigate this when joining the roof to the sill if I had thought to try it then! I tried to get the roof snug on the doors which kind of dictates the height and there is a smidge of room above the right door which explains why the gap is wider at that side. I could have made the window frame of the doors sit a bit lower but that would put that raised lip I mentioned in a previous post too low.

My current thinking is to sand flat the windscreen trim along the lower edge and then add it back in with a strip of card and therefore extending windscreens overall height.
Muttzley
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Muttzley »

iggie wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 1:16 pm It's a very elegant shaped car for sure! The boot looks big enough for a couple of seats to be fitted as well!
Wouldn't be to surprised if there was a rumble seat in the boot, fair amount of cars that era used to have them.

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Bikes, Locos and other civvie vehicles”