Mig 37 Ferret E

From Apollo and Soyuz, to Gerry Anderson, Irwin Allen, Star Wars and Trek to Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica and those strange, doe-eyed Japanese school girls...to any model kits you can think of, that only exists in imagination.
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Mig 37 Ferret E

Post by jssel »

This is the Testors Mig 37 Ferret E in 1/48 scale. It was Testors answer to the F19 Stealth back in the 80's. You may remember the rhubarb within the US Government over leaked stealth secrets over a model kit.

Over all a pretty basic kit with a few cool options. Included are two nuclear shapes and two air to air missiles. It can be completed in two different schemes with decals to match. I chose black. A large decal sheet produced by Scale Master with a bazillion placards. One warning! Don't panic when you see the decal glue turn milky. It dries clear with no silvering. Half the sheet is dark red and the other half is gray. I am pretty sure the lettering is fictitious.

I believe that Italeri has the molds now in both 48 and 72.

Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Mig 37 Ferret E

Post by iggie »

Wow! That's, ummm, unusual :shock:
It looks really well built and the paintwork looks excellent; I know from experience that uniform 'black' schemes can be very difficult to get to look right 👍
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Bissyboat

Post by Bissyboat »

Nice job. It looks very futuristic and unusual.
"We're going to need a bigger boat"
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

It does make a cool model. The chisel nose really makes it stand out.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

I always like that design. Better that the equally fictitious F-19 they designed.

David
IvanV22

Post by IvanV22 »

Looks great, but why am I thinking of Batman.
Best from Ivan
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

It's a nice kit that goes together well.
And you've done a fine job of it.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Very nice Jeff. 8-)

Italeri did indeed have the moulds, at least in 1/72nd, as I have one of theirs in the stash but I haven't seen these around in either scale for quite a while now.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Tarkas
Active Participant

Post by Tarkas »

Dazzled wrote: January 19th, 2023, 10:11 pm Very nice Jeff. 8-)
I quite agree. Looks positively sneaky, as befits a stealth fighter, even if IMO the Ferret isn't very stealthy... ;-)
Italeri did indeed have the moulds, at least in 1/72nd, as I have one of theirs in the stash but I haven't seen these around in either scale for quite a while now.
AFAIK, the MiG-37 was an Italeri creation. Testors and Monogram had come up with their "F-19s", and Italeri wanted to jump on the stealth bandwagon while it was still a novelty, so they came up with the Ferret as a Soviet counterpart. Ironically, the faceted design of the -37 is far closer to the actual stealth aircraft that the Skunk Works came up with than the curved shapes of the mythical F-19s.

It's interesting to see that the MiG-37 as a kit has outlasted its original rivals, but I suppose that it's because the fabled "stealth fighter" was eventually revealed to be the F-117, and so the F-19s faded into the background. They were both as fictional as the Ferret (Monogram pinched their design from an avionics company ad in the trade press :roll:) and so lacked credibility once the F-117 was shown to the public. The Testors design had a short moment of glory in the Tom Clancy book Red Storm Rising (I think), and was released in diecast form as well, but that was it.
Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox, sometimes...

Return to “Real Space, Sci-Fi and What-iffery”