Pick your own playlist

Chill out 'n' talk about anything. Have a giggle, play a game or have a rant and try not to fall off the Soap Box. (NOTE Standard Forum Rules apply).
dayzofspeed
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Pick your own playlist

Post by dayzofspeed »

Those of us of a certain age probably listen to BBC Radio2. The breakfast show has a feature called pick your own playlist where listeners choose their favourite 3 tracks to be played on air and I thought it might be interesting to find out what you would pick.
I'll set the ball rolling...
1: Space Oddity by David Bowie...1st single I ever bought

2: All around the world by The Jam 1977 and a 15 Yr old kid gets his 1st taste of punk rock/new wave

3: Crawling by Linkin Park around 2000ish an older but musically bored guy gets his musical taste re invigorated.
So those are mine now over to you guys...
I stared a century thinking this will never change
As I hesitated, time rushed onwards without me
Too scared to break the spell, too small to take a fall
But the absolute luck is, love is in our hearts!

Lyrics By P. Weller
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Pick your own playlist

Post by iggie »

Only three?! :shock:
That's a tough task, and could cause a lot of head scratching and anguish!
Without thinking too much about it, mine would be:

Romeo and Juliet, Dire Straits 1981; this was on the 1st album I bought, and made me a lifelong fan of their work

Happy House, Siouxsie and the Banshees 1980; this was played over and over in the common room at school and was about the only 'happy' thing I remember about that period of my life...

In your eyes, Peter Gabriel 1986; superb track, nothing more to say :grin:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
wokka

Post by wokka »

This is like Desert Island Discs without the background story.

I think for me Bad Day by Carmel is on there,
Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush with Don't Give Up,
Eurythmics with Sweet Dreams

Spot the theme?
It's only pain, work through it.
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

Sorry, I gave up.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Me, too - too many choices! Just three is simply too hard.

We should do a Desert Island Discs instead! :-D
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

I will go with

"Roll Away The Stone" by Mott the Hoople for general singalong glam rock

"Sultans of Swing" by Dire Straits because Harry doesn't mind.

"Landslide" by Stevie Nicks (the solo version, not the Fleetwood Mac version).
Up in the Great White North
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

First three that come to mind (which means I'll obviously think of others as soon as I hit ENTER):

How Long - Ace (my favourite ever song of all time - love Paul Carrack's vocals).

Going For The One -Yes (outrageously overblown prog that I still can't believe made it in to the charts).

Spacer (Extended Version) - Sheila and B Devotion (could have been anything that Nile Rogers was involved with really. The bass on this one is incredible).
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
H-bomb
Is His Name Really Howard?

Post by H-bomb »

Umm. Toughy
Pink Floyd uncomfortably numb
Rush bravado
Lead zeppelin Kashmir
This will amost certainly change tomorrow
Cheers Howard
acquired 1
Built 2
Disposed none

On the bench. Airfix Handley Page 0/400 , Escadron Hunting Percival Pembroke
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

That's am impossible ask - even if you broke it down into genre - Nirvana, AC/DC, Guns-n-Roses, RHCP, Gary Numan, Portishead, Massive attack, The Cardigans, Cibo Matto, Michael Jackson - Christ the list could go on and on and change on an hourly basis, let alone daily!

However, if you really want three songs that I want at my funerial - these would be they.

This plays through my head on an almost daily basis, ever since I first saw Star Wars as a kid - in fact, it's one of my earliest memories and it's sense of wonder is probably the ongoing theme through my life...

I'm not a big HP fan, not what it turned into anyway, but this is the music my Wife 'Came Into' at our wedding, which is still one of the best moments of my life. It'll always remind me of our wedding and honeymoon.

And, next to the 'Force Theme' from Starwars, this is my most favourite bit of music ever - from the BBC adaptation of the Merlin legend from the early 2000s. I listen to it a lot at the moment sitting up in the mountains and on many a castle tower, and the Merlin soundtrack is probably the most played music in my car. My Wife and I have a Saturday night tradition that we've followed for probably the last 12 years - certainly since we had kids. Wine, an episode or Merlin, an episode or Robin Hood, and a couple of episodes of something else (Grimm, Vikings, or whatever - we're working our way through Manifest at the moment) and a nice bit of food, and probably a fire. One night of escapism away from the kids, the house, Autism and all the other crap over the years.

This will always remind me of happy times with my wife, in front of the fire on winter's evenings, with a bit of magic in the air.

There you go - you now know something about me that you previously didn't!

Edit: I would have also thrown in this if we'd been allowed four - there is a lot of really good 80's retro and sci-fi/blade runner ambience on youtube these days, that have really helped me through the last few years and I listen to it most days when I'm working or modelling - this is one of my favourites (not that we're allowed four obviously - that would be cheating :ha: )

Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

I'm a sponge for music so I'd have to blow my brains out if I could only listen to three songs over and over again. My tastes run across the spectrum as much as Stuart's, so I couldn't even narrow it down by genre. The last three songs I played on Spotify were "Das Programm" by Aargh F*%k Kill, "Breathe the Light" by Stellardrone, and "Limo Wreck" by Soundgarden.

So my picks would include stuff that was super aggressive and abrasive, something that had soothing droning melodies, with long sustained chords, and something with an odd time signatures and jagged but catchy guitar riffs.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Softscience wrote: April 6th, 2023, 4:42 pm I'm a sponge for music so I'd have to blow my brains out if I could only listen to three songs over and over again. My tastes run across the spectrum as much as Stuart's, so I couldn't even narrow it down by genre. The last three songs I played on Spotify were "Das Programm" by Aargh F*%k Kill, "Breathe the Light" by Stellardrone, and "Limo Wreck" by Soundgarden.

So my picks would include stuff that was super aggressive and abrasive, something that had soothing droning melodies, with long sustained chords, and something with an odd time signatures and jagged but catchy guitar riffs.
Out of interest and to perhaps broaden my musical spectrum, I searched on Spotify for 'Das Programm'...

This was Jasper's reaction to hearing the result 🤣

Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It is really difficult to pick just three songs, but the three artists I have listened to on Spotify this morning are Aimer, Band Maid and Lady Gaga. Make of that what you will.

To which I should add that this morning I received notice from Amazon UK that my pre-order for the 40th Anniversary of OMD's Dazzle Ships is on the way - one of my all-time favourite bands and all-time favourite albums.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

iggie wrote: April 6th, 2023, 4:51 pm
Softscience wrote: April 6th, 2023, 4:42 pm I'm a sponge for music so I'd have to blow my brains out if I could only listen to three songs over and over again. My tastes run across the spectrum as much as Stuart's, so I couldn't even narrow it down by genre. The last three songs I played on Spotify were "Das Programm" by Aargh F*%k Kill, "Breathe the Light" by Stellardrone, and "Limo Wreck" by Soundgarden.

Out of interest and to perhaps broaden my musical spectrum, I searched on Spotify for 'Das Programm'...

Its not for everyone. I like to listen to this kind of stuff at work to stay sane.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

iggie wrote: April 6th, 2023, 4:51 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That's funny that Jim!
Softscience wrote: April 6th, 2023, 5:52 pm
Its not for everyone. I like to listen to this kind of stuff at work to stay sane.
Do you mean this one?

That's pretty cool actually., although if you listen to punk rock at work to stay sane, I don't think I want your job :-D

I'm like you though Ralph, I listen to such a wide range of stuff I'd probably have to shoot myself too!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

That's the one, Stuart. I look like the most beige normie, so people are often surprised that I listen to and perform some pretty aggressive music. I think it's very cathartic.

Return to “General Chat”