Air brush

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
Mrvip1978
starter kit

Air brush

Post by Mrvip1978 »

Hi everyone
I’m new to modelling and would greatly appreciate
Any advice.
I’m currently using enamel paints and I want to buy an air brush but there’s so many to choose from?
I’ve never used one before and don’t have a clue
If you can use straight enamel or if it requires thinning
first, if it does to what ratio and what’s the best thinner to use?

Thank you.
dayzofspeed
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Re: Air brush

Post by dayzofspeed »

It would definitely need thinning. I tend to thin paint 50/50. I don't airbrush enamels but assume you'd need some kind of cellulose thinner or maybe something like mek. Or it maybe as simple as white spirit
I always painted with enamel prior to using an airbrush and found acrylic much simpler with an airbrush
Am sure someone more experienced in airbrush will come in with a definitive answer
Hope that helps
I stared a century thinking this will never change
As I hesitated, time rushed onwards without me
Too scared to break the spell, too small to take a fall
But the absolute luck is, love is in our hearts!

Lyrics By P. Weller
Mrvip1978
starter kit

Post by Mrvip1978 »

Thank you.
I will try a 50/50 ratio and test first.
Can you recommend a good airbrush kit?
Rechargeable seems logical but un sure.
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by fredk »

I can answer just a few of those questions;
1. I use two cheap air brushes made in China. They are copies of more expensive ones. Its a gamble if you get a good Chisese copy or a bad one. Mine are good copies. They now cost about £25 to £30. I would suggest buying one of these first and seeing how you get on with an airbrush, Also buy a good compressor; one with a tank to hold the extra air.

2. You need to thin almost all paints before airbrushing with them. The exception is the acrylic Vallejo Model Air which is already prepared to use straight from the bottle

3. Generally, until you know more, use the thinners recommended by the paint maker; eg for Humbrol enamels I use Humbrol enamel thinners

4. Thinng depends on many things, such as the air pressure you use. Generally you'll read 'thin it so it looks like milk' - what does this mean? Thin the paint and take a drop of it and put it on a glass surface, such as the side of a jam jar. Let the paint run down the jar, It should run down quickly and smoothy leaving a coloured line behind it, like a snail's trail.
Thinng can be anything from 50% paint & 50% thinners to 30% paint & 70% thinners. Only experience will tell you which it will be
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
dayzofspeed

Post by dayzofspeed »

Mrvip1978 wrote: March 30th, 2023, 5:13 pm Thank you.
I will try a 50/50 ratio and test first.
Can you recommend a good airbrush kit?
Rechargeable seems logical but un sure.
I personally have no experience of those new rechargeable things, I'd go along with the last post and go for a tanked compressor I belive they can be got for about 90 quid on amazon and often come with a couple of basic double action airbrushes.
The compressor kit I bought has been great and is pretty quiet too
I'll see if I can find a link

Lyrics By P. Weller
dayzofspeed

Post by dayzofspeed »

Lyrics By P. Weller
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Mrvip1978 wrote: March 30th, 2023, 4:49 pm I’m new to modelling and would greatly appreciate Any advice.
I’m currently using enamel paints and I want to buy an air brush but there’s so many to choose from?
I’ve never used one before and don’t have a clue
If you can use straight enamel or if it requires thinning
first, if it does to what ratio and what’s the best thinner to use?
Wellcome to your new lifelong obsessionhobby :-D

There are no easy answers to your questions, simply because this is a domain where there is no absolute correct or incorrect.
That said, some general rules of the thumb..

I've used all sorts of airbrushes, from dirt cheap single action sucktion feeders (limited control, paint jar below the actual brush) to small, precise dual action gravity feeders (separate air and paint flow control, paint reservoir above the brush). The amount of preparation and cleaning involved is similar, results for me have always been better with the dual action gravity feed brushes. Although not as cheap as the sucktion feeders, a good brush to start with can be had for about 30 euro/pound/dollar.
If that's too much, you might as well not bother, because you will really want to get a compressor to go with it, and that will set you back 80-100 euro. Don't bother with compressed gas cans as a power source; they're expensive, and pressure varies wildly throughout the use cycle.
With any luck you can pick up a simple all-in-one set with both the compressor and the brush for about 100-120 euro. Something along these lines: https://www.airbrush-fengda.co.uk/en_US ... -176K/5590
Acrylics tend to be finnicky in airbrush use, especially the water based ones, but that's not going to be an issue for you. As a result, any airbrush with a 0.3mm needle should do for starters.

I can't give you thinning ratios, each paint is different. The general guideline is to thin the paint to about the consistency of milk. I typically use white spirits from the local DIY for thinning, but some paints might not like it and require their own brand thinners. Again, it all depends on what you're using.

For cleaning the airbrush, and this is something you will need to take seriously, I tend to use acetone. I've yet to meet a type of paint that could stand up to that. Thinners from the DIY are chemically nastier, but should also work.

The only way to really learn, is to get to work, and not expect perfect results from the start. There is a learning curve involved, both for the general skills, and for building up the knowledge to use specific tools, paints and the associated chemicals.
dayzofspeed

Post by dayzofspeed »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Airbrush-Compr ... 106&sr=8-4
That's the same as I bought from my local model shop. Airbrushes are basic but OK for starting out
More expensive than rechargeable but you get more imo

Lyrics By P. Weller
dayzofspeed

Post by dayzofspeed »

And I would 100% go for double action gravity feed airbrush

Lyrics By P. Weller
dayzofspeed

Post by dayzofspeed »

I guess we should also ask you where you plan to do your airbrushing as that definitely needs taking into consideration

Lyrics By P. Weller
fredk

Post by fredk »

dayzofspeed wrote: March 30th, 2023, 5:41 pm And I would 100% go for double action gravity feed airbrush
I disagree. A single action is easier for a beginner imo
dayzofspeed

Post by dayzofspeed »

Dunno fredk...I learnt using double action with no problem at all and think it helps with control which is needed in the long run

Lyrics By P. Weller
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

My ‘two penneth’. I’ve been using airbrushes for years and I like good old Humbrol enamel paint. If you go for an inexpensive Chinese copy (I do have one and it is OK) it is considered a good idea to strip it down and clean it before use - or blast some white spirit through it.
Thinning your enamel paints - Humbrol can be variable in density (I am of the view that ‘thick’ paint = more paint for your money) so thinning is down to achieving the consistency of milk as Rob has said. Easiest way to see what that is like is to pop a tea spoon of milk into a mixing container and see!
I often thin my Humbrol enamels with cellulose as it helps to ‘flash dry’ them quicker, spray thin coats at low pressure (if you need 20 psi or more, your paint is too thick).
MOST IMPORTANT TIPS:
1. do not airbrush your prized model until you have practiced, and practised some more.
2. Test your airbrush to make sure it is functioning before mixing paint for airbrushing.
3. Clean your airbrush, it is OK to blast some thinners through if you are using it during a day but if you leave it, and the paint remnants dry, you will have to strip it down.
4. Know how to strip your airbrush down and practice, before you ‘have too’!
5. Be very careful with the needle, if you drop it it WILL land on the tip :(
All of the above, I have learnt the hard way.

I would strongly recommend you buy some plastic spoons as ‘paint mules’ to practice on and some plastic medicine dispensing cups for paint mixing.
Oh, if you don’t fancy using cellulose to ‘cut’ your enamel paint, then use eg Humbrol enamel thinners with Humbrol paint etc. Buy a litre of cheap white spirit to do the cleaning though!
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
fredk

Post by fredk »

I've used cellulose thinners with both enamels and Tamiya acrylics (it was recommended to me to do so)
I would NOT advise ANYONE to use cellulose thinners unless they want to ruin a model

Can you make out the effect on this Gnat?
Caused by the cellulose thinners. It not only affected the paint but ate into the plastic underneath. One totally ruined model
Mrvip1978
starter kit

Post by Mrvip1978 »

Noted thank you !

Return to “Construction Tips”