Air brush

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
TeeELL
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Air brush

Post by TeeELL »

Well, Fredk has obviously had issues using cellulose thinners. I have never had a problem! I certainly wouldn’t use cellulose with acrylics though.
Goes back to my recommendation of testing before spraying a model.
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

I think the cellulose thinners opinions clearly illustrate my point about there being no absolute truths. One likes them, the other hates them, but both build and airbrush impressive models. You will have to spend some time finding what works for you.
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

My work bench thread covers those occasions when I’ve ‘cut’ my enamel paint with cellulose.
Tony

Current build:
Mrvip1978
starter kit

Post by Mrvip1978 »

Thanks I shall take a look.
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

You might like to know that ‘lacquer’ based paints eg Tamiya Lacquer and HATAKA lacquer paints are ‘cellulose’ based.
Tony

Current build:
flakmonkey

Post by flakmonkey »

Tamiya and Gunze acrylics work perfectly well with cellulose thinners. In fact, it was a system I used exclusively for several years. DEFINITELY do NOT attempt to use cellulose with non alcohol based acrylics (Vallejo, Mig Ammo, Lifecolor), and also keep those well away from alcohol thinner, eg Tamiya. You'll spend hours picking a springy latex goo out of your airbrush, otherwise. They HATE alcohol.

Best practice, really, is use the manufacturer's own thinner and other products with their paints. Now I exclusively use Vallejo or Mig Ammo and only use Vallejo thinner and flow improver alongside Timbertech airbrush cleaner (diluted with distilled water) which is 100% compatible. Mixing brands really can give you issues with the water based ranges.
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?
Mrvip1978
starter kit

Post by Mrvip1978 »

Thank you!
I’m a bit blown away by how helpful this forum is,
And how collectively nice people are!
I think for nice I’m going to give the air brush a swerve, given all the complexity’s involved.
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

There is no denying that there are folk on here capable of brush painting that is every bit as good as airbrushing (and vice-versa for that matter!).
Tony

Current build:
iggie

Post by iggie »

I'm an infrequent user of an airbrush, but would suggest (if funds permit) getting a cheapo nail-varnishing set up (mini 'compressor' and brush) and have a try using water based acrylics rather than enamel or alcohol based acrylic. Minimal outlay but possibly a good learning experience ;-)
Have a look at this ebay item: 314286318292
This is pretty much what I started with...
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

I learned to spray nearly 50 years ago now. I worked for a Toy manufacturer called Mettoy and got to spray spacehoppers, footballs and Corgi cars. We mainly used Devilbis spray guns and the paint was fed through pipes from a paint farm. No mixing or thinning, but lots of practice stripping and cleaning the airbrushes. When I re-joined the modelling community I used enamels, but SWMBO didn't like the smell. I've had many airbrushes, cheap and expensive. Some I got along with, others were a perpetual pain rarely spraying well. I never used ratios, mixing to the consistency of milk by eye. Eventually, I disposed of 90% of my enamels and switched to acrylics. They are dead easy to use. As already stated, Vallejo Model Air comes ready to use. I have a cheap clone airbrush, which is quite satisfactory for general, broad brush spraying. I also have an Iwata HPC+. It was very expensive, but I've had it for years and it has earned every penny. I can do fine detail with this one. Both of mine are gravity feed - you won't waste as much paint as the sucker types.
Go cheap to start with while you practice. Don't expect to produce works of art from the off (unless you're an artistic genius). The best advice I was given was to keep the air pressure low - just a puff. It will give you more control. Again, I don't read gauges, I turn the pressure down and increase it until the paint starts spraying.
Approach this with an open mind, and good luck ;-)
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
dayzofspeed
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by dayzofspeed »

Mrvip1978 wrote: March 31st, 2023, 6:31 pm I think for nice I’m going to give the air brush a swerve, given all the complexity’s involved.
Fully understand your decision it can seem complicated even a bit overwhelming to begin with I think I actually had my first airbrush for over a year before I ever used it in anger but I did use that time watching the many tutorials on you tube. I'd say maybe think about getting one of the many cheap airbrushes that are available and just play around with it and get some experience with some acrylic paint it's really much cleaner than enamels and less smelly also drying time will come down to minutes rather than hours
Good luck in whatever you finally end up doing...
I stared a century thinking this will never change
As I hesitated, time rushed onwards without me
Too scared to break the spell, too small to take a fall
But the absolute luck is, love is in our hearts!

Lyrics By P. Weller
Muttzley
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Muttzley »

dayzofspeed wrote: April 1st, 2023, 1:25 am
Mrvip1978 wrote: March 31st, 2023, 6:31 pm I think for nice I’m going to give the air brush a swerve, given all the complexity’s involved.
Fully understand your decision it can seem complicated even a bit overwhelming to begin with I think I actually had my first airbrush for over a year before I ever used it in anger but I did use that time watching the many tutorials on you tube. I'd say maybe think about getting one of the many cheap airbrushes that are available and just play around with it and get some experience with some acrylic paint it's really much cleaner than enamels and less smelly also drying time will come down to minutes rather than hours
Good luck in whatever you finally end up doing...
I'd agree with this, you can pick up a cheap airbrush cake decoration/ nail painting compressor and brush for about £20-£30, you're not going to get the same results as a £200 Rassche brush, but it'll give you some practice in using an airbrush, mixing paints and clean up.
That way, if you feel airbrushing isn't for you, you'll not lose too many pennies, (especially if you resell on Ebay).
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

I started using an airbrush after buying a cheap USB compressor and brush setup from ebay. It wasn't too long before I moved to a proper compressor and an Iwata Neo. I'd recommend going straight to that. There are several entry level airbrushes like the Neo, which will serve you perfectly well for a long time.

If using enamels make sure you have a good spray booth with strong extraction fan and some kind of half face respirator, otherwise you'll be constantly breathing in carcinogenic thinners.
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

You don’t need cellulose thinners for airbrushing enamels just use Humbrols own brand thinners for best results or white spirit at a push. The latter should be used to flush and clean your airbrush with immediately after you finish spraying. Cellulose thinners can be used to remove dried paint though.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

JamesPerrin wrote: April 8th, 2023, 8:50 amCellulose thinners can be used to remove dried paint though.
They can be, but even for that you don't need to get quite so agressive, humble old acetone will do just fine (and is a major part of the chemical cocktail that makes up cellulose thinner anyway). I've yet to meet an paint that could stand against it :twisted:

Return to “Construction Tips”