Mould quality of recent Airfix products

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Re: Mould quality of recent Airfix products

Post by Stuart »

boston1832 wrote: April 28th, 2023, 5:41 pm O h d e a r.

That'll teach me to ask open-ended questions! Better just get on with some modelling...
In answer to your original question. They have indeed had issues with engineering and fit over the last ten years, but they're getting better all the time. Certainly the kits of the past few years have shown a marked improvement over those from a decade ago - gone are the massive recesses panel lines etc.

Are they perfect - no, but definitely worth a go if you fancy building one as they're generally a lot of fun. I've just finished a Spitfire and Hurricane from about 10 years ago and enjoyed both, likewise I'm building the F-35B released this month, and the K2 Ambulance from last year. both are superb kits, if not 100%, but then what is.

I'd say if you fancy one give it a go.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

As an admin, I must point out our Code of Conduct, which states:

Code of Conduct

Please try to be polite and reasonable.

1 - Insulting remarks to individuals, whether direct or inferred, are strongly discouraged. Suspension, or a ban from the Forum may result, following discussion about such behaviour by the Admin Team.

2 - Any remarks aimed at modelling organisations, societies, retailers, manufacturers, forums or websites must be justified with evidence. Balanced criticism is always expected. Remarks made which are against the spirit of this rule,will be discussed by the Admin Team and may result in suspension or a ban.

3 - Please do not make comments about activity or postings on other forums on this forum.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

1. I love you all, a better bunch of people there are not.

2. Bad model kits or manufacturers?, nay, surely not.

3. Other forums? I wasn't aware that there are any.

(Tongue firmly in cheek, Paul, no offence meant :grin: )
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Don't make me stop this car and turn it around! :ha: :ha:

I needed to remove a post that went against the forum's Code of Conduct.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

That'll teach me to ask open-ended questions! Better just get on with some modelling...
No oh Dearing necessary.

It's a fair question and is generating good discussion. This site needs more in depth discussion, and maybe even some challenges to preconceived notions, even if it makes a few folks uncomfortable. Nobody grows inside their comfort zone. So thanks for brining it up.
boston1832
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by boston1832 »

Softscience wrote: May 1st, 2023, 6:39 pm

No oh Dearing necessary.

It's a fair question and is generating good discussion. This site needs more in depth discussion, and maybe even some challenges to preconceived notions, even if it makes a few folks uncomfortable. Nobody grows inside their comfort zone. So thanks for brining it up.
Thanks for that - without trying to stir up more controversy, the detail to my point was that there's a comparison on the video review at about the 1:50 point which shows the difference between Airfix and Tamiya gates and sprues. My assumption was that current leading manufacturers probably use similar workflow and equipment to produce their moulds regardless of where they're produced and that these rely on very similar CAD to CAM die-sinking processes to take a 3D model and translate it into a negative mould. Hence my puzzlement as to why these should be very different. However I'm no authority on die-sinking beyond believing that it used to be done via spark erosion - there are probably all sorts of new techniques of which I'm not aware.

(Incidentally if anyone's got a link/video which describes how it's actually done, I'd be quite interested in that).
Regards,

Chris
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

Morlock wrote: April 28th, 2023, 5:58 am I have a large stash and the last few years Airfix releases have been mostly of subjects I already have so I haven't bought anything from them for a while and I also prefer 1/72 aircraft. I thought their 1/72 Concorde from a while back was awful, the plastic quality itself was dreadful and poor fit. I read something on a forum about the 1/48 Phantom II new tool having some issues. Given Airfix kits aren't the cheapest options anymore they need to be a lot more careful.
I don't know about Airfix making a 1/48th Phantom. Their new 1/72nd one is the bee's knees, though. I have seen some of the Concorde kits made up and they look impressive. They certainly need a little extra work, mainly down to the parts breakdown, but most of us could do that.

Airfix do have a few issues, but they are down to the production, rather than the design. They have some super kits out at the moment, including that Spitfire XIV, which is excellent. All I would say to Airfix / Hornby is . . . Be careful not to over engineer the kits. Be aware of Limits and Fits. Introduce better production and Quality Control to stop those warped kits getting through. I've noticed a bit of this. Maybe improve cooling in the tools. The ejection marks should be little more than fine raised edges, not deep holes. This shows that the plastic has been ejected too early. When this happens the sprue contracts, pulling the parts out of shape. I buy and build lots of Airfix kits, and have seen a few examples of this.

Many Airfix kits that I have built have had bad reviews, while mine have gone together very easily. Some reviewers seem to love slapping on tons of filler, when you can usually get away with the tiniest amount, by simply Dry Fitting every part before applying cement. Overall, I'm giving Airfix 9 out of 10 across the board for products, and 10 out of 10 for their efforts to give us some absolutely super models.
So many models, so little time.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

boston1832 wrote: May 2nd, 2023, 7:58 am
Softscience wrote: May 1st, 2023, 6:39 pm

No oh Dearing necessary.

Thanks for that - without trying to stir up more controversy, the detail to my point was that there's a comparison on the video review at about the 1:50 point which shows the difference between Airfix and Tamiya gates and sprues. My assumption was that current leading manufacturers probably use similar workflow and equipment to produce their moulds regardless of where they're produced and that these rely on very similar CAD to CAM die-sinking processes to take a 3D model and translate it into a negative mould. Hence my puzzlement as to why these should be very different. However I'm no authority on die-sinking beyond believing that it used to be done via spark erosion - there are probably all sorts of new techniques of which I'm not aware.

(Incidentally if anyone's got a link/video which describes how it's actually done, I'd be quite interested in that).
I don't know much about the industrial process of model production, but the difference in tooling quality between something like Tamiya or Eduard, and Airfix, or even ICM is notable. The differences are most notable in the crispness of edges. Airfix parts, are getting better and better these days, but things like panel lines, canopy frames, and trailing edges still have a tendency for a bit of roundedness along the corners. Clear parts are the worst offenders, and pretty often, the frames sort of melt into the glass panels. I think this means the toolings just aren't as fine and precisely made.

And despite what others have said, there IS a greater probability of short-shot parts in an Airfix kit vs something like a Tamiya kit. This isn't me airfix bashing, its simply the trend I've observed among my own purchases. Since I've been keeping track of such things, I've had severe short-shots in six of my last 25 Airfix kits, one in the last 16 Eduard kits, and zero among 34 Tamiya kits. Dimples, or sinkage was noted on seven of the Airfix, two Eduard, and three Tamiya. I'm using these three companies, as they're the only 3 manufacturers that I own sufficiently comparable numbers. All kits considered have been released after 2000.

If people want to think saying this makes me an Airfix hater, then so be it. But I'm a hater who has sunk several hundreds of dollars into Airfix, and I'll continue to buy their products. Go figure.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

I certainly don't think that your findings make you an Airfix hater in any respect; they are based on first hand experience, and identity specific, quantifiable issues. They also suggest that as has been mooted by others, especially Stuart, Airfix have an issue in getting tooling manufactured that is capable of replicating the advanced designs that they are now capable of producing. As in so many aspects of life, I suspect the old adage of 'you get what you pay for' might be applicable; in-house tool manufacturing (which I understand is the case with Tamiya for example) is possibly cheaper initially but also far easier to manage from a quality management point of view...but, the upfront investment for tool manufacturing nowadays will be eye-wateringly expensive, so Airfix are kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place.
I too will continue to support Airfix going forward, as in all of this, one thing is certain: if people don't buy their kits, absolutely nothing will get better no matter how much we wish it would.
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

I agree with Jim, Ralph. Offing fact based evidence doesn't make you a hater, especially given the amount you spend with them.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

One thing i should add. The QC problems cluster over a few kits

I didn't check release dates to see if these all came out around the same time, but what know ye?

X2 1/72 P-51D kits with incomplete fuselages. Almost identical areas of short shot make me wonder if it was the same bad run.

1/72 P-40 with really deep crease in one wheel

1/72 Martlet, malformed landing gear bracing

1/72 defiant gun turret is a shapeless blob with very poorly defined framing.

1/72 Blenheim (on 1 of the 3 of these that i own) nose glazing is missing about half a panel at the very front end
wokka
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by wokka »

Or was the manufacture of these kits sub contracted to the same manufacturer / factory?
It's only pain, work through it.

Return to “Small Talk”