draconic experiment

From Apollo and Soyuz, to Gerry Anderson, Irwin Allen, Star Wars and Trek to Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica and those strange, doe-eyed Japanese school girls...to any model kits you can think of, that only exists in imagination.
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

draconic experiment

Post by rob_van_riel »

As preparation for a much more involved project, I need to do some experimentation on a big lizard's skin.

Sitting in the stash was a rather nice dragon by Grenadier models.

And the bits in the box:

As can be seen, the parts are well defined and mostly free of mould lines/flash. The only issue is that one on the claws on the wings has broken off, but that should be an easy fix.

The nearly naked lady on the cover art was actually included as well, but she was painted separately ages ago.

These dragons came out in 1988. The numeral II in the name refers to the fact that these were new releases, distinct from the original series of dragons Grenadier had produced years before. Quality wise, the earlier dragons were certainly up to scratch for the time, but the new clutch was supposed to leave them in the dust.

I built the original green dragon ages ago, but even with improved, scratch built wings, it's not that great.

Now seemed as good a time as any other to actually get to work on the newer dragon. Although the box says "blue", I'm actually thinking "red" in this case, mainly because the warmer colour is more suited to the experiment.

I cleaned up the parts and, ahem, responsibly disposed of the 60% lead scrapings and filings by dumping them into the nose cone of a Flanker that needed extra weight to prevent a tail sitter.

Dry fitting shows that the parts fit well, and only really require glue if the model it to be moved; gravity keeps the wings in place, and the hind legs are quite happy to sit alongside the body mostly unsupported. I've decided not to bother with pinning the hind legs, and instead glue a piece of 2mm plastic to the bottom of the "rocks" that serve as a base. That should be sufficient to keep the legs and body in formation.

Some very minor filling with expoxy putty was needed around the joins.
State of play at the time of writing:
rob_van_riel

Re: draconic experiment

Post by rob_van_riel »

Just some minor stuff today, smoothing over the area where plastic meets metal, and sculpting a replacement wing claw. It seemed easier to make a new one than to re-attach the broken off bit.
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

This is different!

David
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

DavidWomby wrote: May 1st, 2023, 9:51 pmThis is different!
If only because it weighs as much as that whole mob of Flankers and two Starfighters combined, even without it's wings :-D

I've bounced around several rather different domains over the years. I started out ages ago with (at the time rather badly abused) tanks and aircraft, then switched almost exclusively to Napoleonic wars figures, followed by an almost-break from modelling during which I did some fantasy minitures (and learned to make moulds). The other subjects never went away though, and now they sort of take turns in being top of the pile. I think there may be a bout of figures and related oddities coming on.

Still, it's not really that different; it flies, and has a reputation for spitting fire.
You can never have too many you-know-whats, and nobody said they had to be produced by Supermarine :twisted:
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Messing around with the base is done, and the dragon now has wings.

I expect there'll be some work left on the wing roots, but with any luck I should be starting the actual painting experiment this weekend. The idea is to give the whole critter a base coat of gold, and then slowly build up the red with the airbrush, making it gradually more saturated towards the back and the wings, while leaving the belly just slightly ruddy gold.
A bit like you'd do with a horse in lighter and darker browns, only with more teeth, claws and scales ;-)
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

Nice to see something different.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Watching with interest.

Nigel
Impisi

Post by Impisi »

Nice little lizard! I follow with interest
Cheers
Martin

my recent builds
iggie

Post by iggie »

That looks to be a very well sculpted figure, and should look excellent in your red over gold scheme 👍
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Rather than a blue dragen (which the box says), or a grey dragon (as earlier today), I now have a gold dragon.

I'll check tomorrow for areas that need touching up (the picture has already revealed some), and then leave the paint to very thouroughly cure before I start messing around with Alclad's transparent red. I'm still debating whether or not to put on some grey or brown wash first, as a sort of pre-shading.

I'm not entirely convinced by the metallic dragons in this series, which for some reason have rather odd fan-like or insect-like wings rather than the more common bat wings the chromatics sport, but that is artistic; technically the whole series were top notch. You can get an impression of what the others were like here: http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lost ... Month#9601.
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

Interesting that no matter how carefully you check, you don't find the bit you missed till you publish the photograph.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Mr Humbrol and I are not friends today :evil:

As a sort of side project, I was also painting up a Dragonlance Draconian. The thing had had a really hard life, but I'd finally finished it, and was actually quite pleased with the result. As a final step, I gave it a coat of matt varnish. Humbrol Clear Matt varnish, to be precise. Withing five minutes, the whole figure was covered in white frost and looked horrible. Trying to clear the mess off took great big chunks of the other paints with it. :evil: :evil:
Evil does indeed feed upon itself :boom: :boom:

The Draconian is now soaking in a jar of thinner, to strip the remaining paints off and reset the project again.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

rob_van_riel wrote: May 6th, 2023, 9:28 amThe Draconian is now soaking in a jar of thinner, to strip the remaining paints off and reset the project again.
Hmm, this is interesting..
The Draconian is made of cast metal. As such, it is impervious to even the most agressive solvents, while the paints don't stand a chance, and predictably, it came out of it's bath bright and shiny.
However, it is not all metal. The model is supposed to have wings, but they look wrong (one size fits none plugin wings for all the minis in the set), so I re-scuplted the cloak to both cover up the hole where the wings now are not, and to correct the way the cloak falls over the back. For this, I used Brown Stuff (a variant of the better known Green Stuff), an expoxy putty. The putty survived, but oddly, so did some of the paint covering it. Perhaps a longer soak would have gotten that paint as well, but I didn't want to risk the putty.
Looks like the thinner doesn't just weaken/dissolve the paint, but also worms it's way between the paint and the metal, while it can't squeeze between the paint and the putty.
You learn something new every day, especially when things go off the rails :roll:
iggie

Post by iggie »

rob_van_riel wrote: May 6th, 2023, 9:28 am Mr Humbrol and I are not friends today :evil:

As a sort of side project, I was also painting up a Dragonlance Draconian. The thing had had a really hard life, but I'd finally finished it, and was actually quite pleased with the result. As a final step, I gave it a coat of matt varnish. Humbrol Clear Matt varnish, to be precise. Withing five minutes, the whole figure was covered in white frost and looked horrible. Trying to clear the mess off took great big chunks of the other paints with it. :evil: :evil:
Evil does indeed feed upon itself :boom: :boom:

The Draconian is now soaking in a jar of thinner, to strip the remaining paints off and reset the project again.
I had exactly the same problem with Humbrol varnish over their own acrylic paint on a 1/72 Hawk; trashed it totally, again with white 'frost' all over, that resembled the fume marks from CA adhesive on clear glazing. Never used it since :evil:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

iggie wrote: May 6th, 2023, 10:29 amI had exactly the same problem with Humbrol varnish over their own acrylic paint on a 1/72 Hawk; trashed it totally, again with white 'frost' all over, that resembled the fume marks from CA adhesive on clear glazing. Never used it since :evil:
I think the problem is with the matting agent in the satin and matt variants. The gloss variant tends to behave, at least for me.

To avoid further temptation from the satin and matt, these have been chucked with prejudice :evil:
The gloss is on permanent probation; one transgression, and there will be consequences :twisted:

Return to “Real Space, Sci-Fi and What-iffery”