C-130 GB ** Forum Now Open!**

Here's where the general chat and organization of Group/Shared Builds takes place, with Guidelines, the GB/SB Calendar, and an Index to completed GBs.

Moderator: PaulBradley

Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Re: C-130 GB?

Post by Stuart »

RayS wrote: August 13th, 2023, 8:41 am
Stuart wrote: August 11th, 2023, 6:58 pm
PaulBradley wrote: August 11th, 2023, 2:33 pm
Stuart wrote: August 11th, 2023, 11:21 am Paul, what's the process now for getting this on the Calendar for next year? I'm thinking the March/April timeframe if that is okay with everybody else?
First - based on what others think, I'll decide how many GBs we will have; then we'll work out what GBs they will be. This one is a definite goer based on the numbers. Third - we can haggle over dates once we've decided what will be included, but I'll keep your preference in mind. :grin:

I'm also thinking this might be an 8-weeker, given the size of the models involved - your thoughts on that?
Sounds like a good plan!

8 weeks sounds good - I was thinking we might need a bit longer.
Great idea, maybe I can get 2 C-130s built in that time! :grin: :grin: :grin:
Lol! I'm absolutely sure you could! :-D
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

A set-back, apparently as links off ScaleMates say Italeri discontinued the HC-130J, whether 1/48 or 1/72, and it was never produced.
There is a link to a Italeri decal sheet, oddly bearing same product # as the 1/72 C-130J, but it is also discontinued.
I have a 1/48 HC-130H as a fall-back but it is huge for me and I simply have no desire.

I have been all over the place looking for a 1/72 HC-130J or decals for same with no luck.
The fall-back would be to use the basic 1/72 C-130J plastic (#1255), which is more my size, and paint/decal it as close as I can.

Still plenty of time, I guess ... but I'm annoyed ...
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

JohnRatzenberger wrote: August 18th, 2023, 3:33 pm A set-back, apparently as links off ScaleMates say Italeri discontinued the HC-130J, whether 1/48 or 1/72, and it was never produced.
There is a link to a Italeri decal sheet, oddly bearing same product # as the 1/72 C-130J, but it is also discontinued.
I have a 1/48 HC-130H as a fall-back but it is huge for me and I simply have no desire.

I have been all over the place looking for a 1/72 HC-130J or decals for same with no luck.
The fall-back would be to use the basic 1/72 C-130J plastic (#1255), which is more my size, and paint/decal it as close as I can.

Still plenty of time, I guess ... but I'm annoyed ...
That's a bit of a bummer John,. but as you say - there is plenty of time.

Is there really that much difference externally between a HC-130 and a normal J?

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I actually do not know, I suspect not and, 2nd actually, do not care. A proper color scheme is good enough for me. I doubt externals are much more than aerials and such and I’m not doing internals.

You’re the GBL, you decide :)
Bissyboat
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Bissyboat »

JohnRatzenberger wrote: August 18th, 2023, 10:29 pm I actually do not know, I suspect not and, 2nd actually, do not care. A proper color scheme is good enough for me. I doubt externals are much more than aerials and such and I’m not doing internals.

There are others. Such as, different propellers on the C130J C5, fitted with six blades for noise reduction. I might suspect that the top of the fuselage also has a radome. Long aerial probes mounted on the port side of the cockpit. Only C130J C5 in RAF were equipped with those. 8-)
"We're going to need a bigger boat"
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

JohnRatzenberger wrote: August 18th, 2023, 10:29 pm I actually do not know, I suspect not and, 2nd actually, do not care. A proper color scheme is good enough for me. I doubt externals are much more than aerials and such and I’m not doing internals.

As GBL - I'd say go for it - approximation is fine with me, I've never been one for accuracy.

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Bissyboat wrote: August 18th, 2023, 11:47 pm

There are others. Such as, different propellers on the C130J C5, fitted with six blades for noise reduction. I might suspect that the top of the fuselage also has a radome. Long aerial probes mounted on the port side of the cockpit. Only C130J C5 in RAF were equipped with those. 8-)
No, HC-130J has curved 6-blade props (for range), no radome atop, no long aerial probes. I do see u/w tanks, for even more range.

Here is one of the two that have been delivered to E-City so far (as I know). Pretty, aren't they ?

Bissyboat

Post by Bissyboat »

[/quote]

No, HC-130J has curved 6-blade props (for range), no radome atop, no long aerial probes. I do see u/w tanks, for even more range.

Here is one of the two that have been delivered to E-City so far (as I know). Pretty, aren't they ?

[/quote]

Very nice. Range is true, but also noise reduction. More blades, the less noise and vibration. This is a measure against pilot fatigue. C130J C5 has aerial probe in RAF. One example; 47 Squadron, 2 Group RAF, Royal Air Force, RAF Brize Norton, United Kingdom, as seen below. Dome. I dont know. But it´s there. Maybe not radome.

https://www.militaryaircraft.de/picture ... 74_800.jpg
RayS

Post by RayS »

Bissyboat wrote: August 19th, 2023, 12:56 am

Very nice. Range is true, but also noise reduction. More blades, the less noise and vibration. This is a measure against pilot fatigue. C130J C5 has aerial probe in RAF. One example; 47 Squadron, 2 Group RAF, Royal Air Force, RAF Brize Norton, United Kingdom, as seen below. Dome. I dont know. But it´s there. Maybe not radome.

That 'dome' atop looks like the SKR (station keeping radar) a lot of USAF C-130Hs are fitted with. It also has LAIRCM lump down the back.
Ray
-----------------------
Bissyboat

Post by Bissyboat »

RayS wrote: August 19th, 2023, 1:16 am
Bissyboat wrote: August 19th, 2023, 12:56 am

That 'dome' atop looks like the SKR (station keeping radar) a lot of USAF C-130Hs are fitted with. It also has LAIRCM lump down the back.
[/quote

Brilliant Ray! Now I know what it is. That´s very comforting. Thank you so much.
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

JohnRatzenberger wrote: August 19th, 2023, 12:19 am

One thought - are all J models fitted with the longer fuselage? Because this isn't?

Bissyboat

Post by Bissyboat »

Stuart wrote: August 19th, 2023, 1:32 am
JohnRatzenberger wrote: August 19th, 2023, 12:19 am

One thought - are all J models fitted with the longer fuselage? Because this isn't?
That´s the C130J 30 the Super Hercules.
https://www.lockheedmartin.com/en-us/pr ... cules.html
RayS

Post by RayS »

Bissyboat wrote: August 19th, 2023, 1:37 am ....
All C-130Js are considered the Super Hercules.

The short fuselage is a C-130J
The stretched fuselage is a C-130J-30

The are actually 3 different length C-130s (I'm talking all models now)
C-130 (L-100 is the Lockheed model number in these images)

L-100-20 - only produced as civil versions

C-130-30

J models are produced as base models or -30s only
Ray
-----------------------
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

RayS wrote: August 20th, 2023, 1:26 am
Bissyboat wrote: August 19th, 2023, 1:37 am ....
All C-130Js are considered the Super Hercules.

The short fuselage is a C-130J
The stretched fuselage is a C-130J-30

The are actually 3 different length C-130s (I'm talking all models now)
C-130 (L-100 is the Lockheed model number in these images)

L-100-20 - only produced as civil versions

C-130-30

J models are produced as base models or -30s only
Thanks Ray - that certainly answers my question!

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

That clarifies things — thank you !
Now is the USCG HC-130J the base or the -30 ?

Return to “The Group/Shared Build Chat”