Red Arrows 60th Anniversary and World Aerobatic Team GB *On the Calendar!*

Here's where the general chat and organization of Group/Shared Builds takes place, with Guidelines, the GB/SB Calendar, and an Index to completed GBs.

Moderator: PaulBradley

Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Re: Red Arrows 60th Anniversary 2024

Post by Stuart »

Hello Mr Killjoy here :-D I have to say that personally I liked the original subject idea - as the 60th of the Red Sparrows is worth celebrating, and keeping it to Hawks and Gnat's sort of fits in with the lack of SKGB or STGBs that we discussed we were lacking in earlier in the year...

But anyway, as to what consists a 'team', can I suggest that one way to get around the issue, is to limit the GB to display 'teams' with an actual official name?

I'd also suggest that we keep it to military aviation teams only.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

I've been thinking about doing something based on The Blades and their Extra 300s. Especially now they've announced that 2022 was their last display season and we'll not see them in the air again.Such a shame, since they offered something genuinely unique on the airshow scene. All the pilots were ex-Arrows, and you could see it in the quality and precision of their displays... Whether it's Red Arrows or Display Teams, I think the Blades would qualify.
best,
M.
TeeELL
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by TeeELL »

Andy Dighton wrote: July 24th, 2023, 4:23 pm
iggie wrote: July 24th, 2023, 3:11 pm
wokka wrote: July 24th, 2023, 2:49 pm Just a thought, a lot of air forces operate a single display aircraft by type e.g, 7 Sqn display a single Chinnook, the Germans display a single Typhoon, shouldn't this GB be for just teams that have two or more aircraft otherwise it will be virtually a free for all.
Agreed, although I'm happy widening the scope to include other display teams, the emphasis must be on 'teams' and not single (or even duo for my part) display aircraft. Teams from history will be allowed so that opens up the choice even further
Now, if only I could find a Canberra T4 for the Green Marrows.
Andy, I can print you a T4 fuselage for the 1:72 Airfix B(I) 6 along with the correct engine ‘starter cartridge housing/IGV’.
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
Andy Dighton

Post by Andy Dighton »

TeeELL wrote: July 24th, 2023, 10:00 pm
Andy Dighton wrote: July 24th, 2023, 4:23 pm
iggie wrote: July 24th, 2023, 3:11 pm
wokka wrote: July 24th, 2023, 2:49 pm Just a thought, a lot of air forces operate a single display aircraft by type e.g, 7 Sqn display a single Chinnook, the Germans display a single Typhoon, shouldn't this GB be for just teams that have two or more aircraft otherwise it will be virtually a free for all.
Agreed, although I'm happy widening the scope to include other display teams, the emphasis must be on 'teams' and not single (or even duo for my part) display aircraft. Teams from history will be allowed so that opens up the choice even further
Now, if only I could find a Canberra T4 for the Green Marrows.
Andy, I can print you a T4 fuselage for the 1:72 Airfix B(I) 6 along with the correct engine ‘starter cartridge housing/IGV’.
Many thanks for the kind offer. Further research yesterday has shown that by 1958 they also flew the B.2 variant as well.
I've come across a very decent photo of 2 x B.2 and 2 x T.4 flying in formation with serials showing. WJ731 & WE113 are B.2s. Link to photo below.
I've already ordered the AMP B.2 from Hannants.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/139706453 ... otostream/
Best wishes
Andy

My post war RAF display team page. https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=201&t=19491"
XX172 Life of a BAe Hawk 1977-2006. https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=201&t=23975
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Andy,
had I known, I would have sold you my S&M Canberra B2 for rather less than that (same kit I believe?)
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
iggie

Post by iggie »

TeeELL wrote: July 25th, 2023, 11:28 am Andy,
had I known, I would have sold you my S&M Canberra B2 for rather less than that (same kit I believe?)
<cheeky mode on>
I'll have it if you don't want it? 😉
<cheeky mode off>
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Andy Dighton

Post by Andy Dighton »

TeeELL wrote: July 25th, 2023, 11:28 am Andy,
Story of my life. I think it's the same kit. I think AMP has additional PE parts. Thanks for the offer though.
Best wishes
Andy

My post war RAF display team page. https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=201&t=19491"
XX172 Life of a BAe Hawk 1977-2006. https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=201&t=23975
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Count me in for the "teams" option. I have recently brought an Italeri Aermacchi MB 339 to assist me with a large painting I am doing of the Frecce Tricolori display team. The kit is 1/72 but would love to do one in 1/48 for the GB. I also have the Revell 1/32 Hawk in the stash as well. Those Saudi Hawks in Green looked stunning at RIAT last week as well. I don't know if anyone does decals for them yet.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Just to be clear, is this GB only for the Red Arrows ?
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
iggie

Post by iggie »

lancfan wrote: February 6th, 2024, 10:00 pm Just to be clear, is this GB only for the Red Arrows ?
Not at all, the GB is open to any formation flying team comprising more than two aircraft :grin:
Do you have anything in mind? :)
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Jim, is it OK if I change the thread title to reflect the expanded remit?
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
iggie

Post by iggie »

PaulBradley wrote: February 6th, 2024, 10:44 pm Jim, is it OK if I change the thread title to reflect the expanded remit?
Probably a good idea really :-D
Best wishes

Jim
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: Red Arrows 60th Anniversary and World Aerobatic Team GB *On the Calendar!*

Post by PaulBradley »

Done!

As a reminder, this GB runs December 7, 2024, to January 12, 2025. Plenty of time to sort out your entries!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Re: Red Arrows 60th Anniversary and World Aerobatic Team GB *On the Calendar!*

Post by AndrewR »

I'm going to be acting on impulse. Blue Impulse.🤣
Up in the Great White North
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

iggie wrote: February 6th, 2024, 10:18 pm
lancfan wrote: February 6th, 2024, 10:00 pm Just to be clear, is this GB only for the Red Arrows ?
Not at all, the GB is open to any formation flying team comprising more than two aircraft :grin:
Do you have anything in mind? :)
I have a few choices iggie, I have the Hasegawa 'Blue Angels' set, a Hellcat, Bearcat and FA-18 each with 'blue angels' markings, the Mistercraft and Matchbox Hunters both with 'Blue Diamonds' markings, the Airfix Gnat and Hawk in 'Red Arrows' colours and the Airfix 'Yellowjacks' Gnat. I also have the Heller Lockheed C-121 which I could finish in 'Blue Angels' colours using scanned and re-sized copies of the Italeri Fat Albert kit decals. The Mistercraft Hunter also has markings for the Swedish AF 'Acro Hunters' team, the Belgian AF 'Les Diables Rouge' team and the Swiss AF 'Patruille Suisse' team. so I have a reasonable selection from which to choose.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.

Return to “The Group/Shared Build Chat”