Australians have finally discovered (real) Football - FIFA WWC

Chill out 'n' talk about anything. Have a giggle, play a game or have a rant and try not to fall off the Soap Box. (NOTE Standard Forum Rules apply).
VickersVandal
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Australians have finally discovered (real) Football - FIFA WWC

Post by VickersVandal »

After decades of rugby being the only thing anyone here cares about (oh yes, apart from cricket) our FIFA Women's team, the Matildas, just beat out France in the FIFA WWC to go onto the semi-finals. The country has gone berserk...in a good way. The game was unbelievably tense and went to penalties, finally (after 20 shots) going to the Tillies in the Sudden Death round.

It's nice to see greater appreciation of The Beautiful game and especially of Women's sport in general. In Australia "football" means rugby....even though it doesn't use feet....or a ball for that matter. Just blokes charging into each other. Anyway, our men's team (Socceroos) have never been much to write home about and get eliminated pretty quickly so it's a new experience for us to be doing well in a FIFA comp. Soccer gets barely any money put into it here, which is why our men's team just isn't competitive. But our Tillies are punching well above their weight. and we love em to bits. Hopefully this leads to bigger and better things for Football in this country. Most kids are on a soccer team until high school but it seems to peter out after that.

They'll be going head to head with England next. Very tough competition but more and more we're feeling like they might have what it takes to make it to the top. We shall see. How well is women's football regarded over there?
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: Australians have finally discovered (real) Football - FIFA WWC

Post by PaulBradley »

For those of us in the US, its been getting quite bit of coverage because of the historical performance of the USWNT, but they are in a transitional phase and were poor. With regards to viewing, the issue is that most of the games occur at 2 or 3am, our time, so I haven't watched any of the games.

England vs Australia ought to be a good game - I can see that one going to pens as well! I'll find out the score when I wake up!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

This has been a really good tournament so far. An England - Australia final would have been nice 👍 The semifinal promises to be an excellent game.
Up in the Great White North
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

PaulBradley wrote: August 13th, 2023, 2:43 pm For those of us in the US, its been getting quite bit of coverage because of the historical performance of the USWNT, but they are in a transitional phase and were poor. With regards to viewing, the issue is that most of the games occur at 2 or 3am, our time, so I haven't watched any of the games.

England vs Australia ought to be a good game - I can see that one going to pens as well! I'll find out the score when I wake up!
Yeah, there seems to be a bit of controversy around the US team. Maybe that's just the way our media are presenting it though.

The viewing time is a big part of the reason football isn't popular here. If we want to watch anything live from a decent comp, we generally have to be up at some unearthly hour...like my mate who follows Liverpool and will be waking at 2am to catch the game tonight.

iggie

Post by iggie »

Although I haven't followed the competition, anecdotally it seems to be getting very good coverage and viewing figures here even with slightly inconvenient match times...
League attendance and TV coverage is growing well by all accounts so a good cup run will not hurt the growth of the game at all 👍
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

I watched the Matildas play France "live" at 8am here so not ridiculous early and found the shoot out to be very stressful but I'm glad they won as an ex-resident for nearly five years. That was followed immediately by our own game against Columbia and the odds were 7/1 in their favour at the bookies but we won anyway. Now being retired I don't care what time of day the matches are on TV but would probably have had to take leave from work otherwise for Wednesdays coming match! May the best Sheila's win!
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

England one up at half time. Not what we were hoping for but we'll see how the 2nd half plays out...

Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

VickersVandal wrote: August 16th, 2023, 11:59 am England one up at half time. Not what we were hoping for but we'll see how the 2nd half plays out...
Football..? Is that the thing where a load of people run up and down a field kicking each other (sorry the ball) surrounded by others screaming their heads off? :grin:

Lol! Go Lionesses!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

One all now.

I do think a sport has "made it" when England vs Australia is the big match. :)
Up in the Great White North
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

AndrewR wrote: August 16th, 2023, 12:43 pm One all now.

I do think a sport has "made it" when England vs Australia is the big match. :)
3-1? I take it it went to penalties?

England vs Australia is always good - we'll have to make it an annual event. It'll make up for them constantly beating us at cricket!

VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

Stuart wrote: August 16th, 2023, 1:13 pm 3-1? I take it it went to penalties?

England vs Australia is always good - we'll have to make it an annual event. It'll make up for them constantly beating us at cricket!
:lol:

Fair enough.

Yes, 3-1 but not on penalties. The Lionesses were very disciplined and the Matildas were a bit too messy, especially in defense. In the end the result was not a surprise. The ref was kind of rubbish, I have to say. There were so many fouls that should have been called - on both sides, though more by England. All the FIFA WWC matches I've seen so far had excellent reffing but not this one.

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

VickersVandal wrote: August 16th, 2023, 1:28 pm ...though more by England. All the FIFA WWC matches I've seen so far had excellent reffing but not this one.
That doesn't surprise me - I've been a little bit shocked by some of the activities of the lionesses during this torment - well from what I've heard about anyway, I've not watched any of it.

Surprising that - obviously someone if having an off day.

VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

Yeah, they seemed to have the aggression dialled pretty high. I think the Tillies were a bit taken aback and not quite sure how to handle it because none of the other teams they've met in this comp have played like that. I think they assumed the ref would be onto it but she definitely wasn't. It may have put them on the back foot a bit.

Anyway, they played well and it's the furthest Australia has ever gone. It's done wonders for the popularity of Soccer here and for women's sport so the overall outcome has been good even if we didn't make the final. As I say, England were definitely tighter and more disciplined and their win was deserved.

Return to “General Chat”