Frosting on matt varnish

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Re: Frosting on matt varnish

Post by Stuart »

iggie wrote: August 29th, 2023, 5:11 pm At the risk of being labelled a safety killjoy, can I just suggest that if warming any aerosol in water that the water should be significantly lower than 50⁰c (122⁰f) to avoid potential for rupturing the can. I know everyone on here is unlikely to need this advice, but visitors to the site may not be as experienced or aware.
Allowing time for a can to come up to average room temperature naturally is probably a better option, together with shaking as necessary...
Sound Advice Jim - I generally use tepid water if I do dip them, although I do finds that just keeping them at room temperature (I have a shelf in my office for modelling stuff) works perfectly well.

I do remember aerosol tins cooking off in the firepit when I used to do my Airport fire fighting training - not fun.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Thanks, iggie & Stuart, you are correct. My HW heater is set at 120F and I don’t leave them in long enough that I can’t grab with a bare hand.

All my rattlecans are kept in unconditioned space under the house .
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Miko
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Miko »

Spaceowl wrote: August 27th, 2023, 4:57 pm (I realise that title is probably going to look strange to our New World members ;-) )

I've noticed the last couple of times I've tried to matt varnish things with Humbrol spraycans that I'm getting a sort of frosting forming as the varnish dries. What is causing this to happen? Any steer on what I'm doing wrong, all help gratefully accepted.
I too had this problem with Humbrol aerosol varnish, in a way I'm pleased to have found this post as it validated my suspicion it's a Humbrol thing, I used mine on a Matchbox Meteor NF.
'Frosting' is a good way of describing the effect and considered construction a winter diorarma!
Stuart wrote: August 28th, 2023, 10:04 am If in future you want a decent set of clears that are reliable, try the Mr Super Clear cans. I've been using them all year on about ten or so models thus far and have not had a single issue with either the Gloss (I'm on my third can of gloss), Semi-Gloss or Matt - and I have used them in the garage on a cold and damp days. I'll be interested to see how they perform over the winter.

I too highly highly HIGHLY recommend these rattle cans, they leave a superb finish especially the matt

I've always had good service from https://www.air-craft.net/cgi-bin/ss000 ... TION=Go%21

Miko
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

It’s not just a Humbrol thing, Testor’s Dullcote was doing same thing some years back, forcing me to switch out.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Spaceowl
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Spaceowl »

Thanks for all the advice, chaps. I'm going to give Mr. Super Clear Matt a try.
Overhead a rainbow appears...in black and white.

Current Projects:
Aircraft of VMA-542, USMC
Peru-Ecuador War 1995
THK 1939-2023
Polish Air Force 1939
fredk

Post by fredk »

I use a car paint lacquer for gloss or matt finishes now
I too warm my cans, in extremely hot water though
maybe I like living on the edge?
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
Spaceowl

Post by Spaceowl »

fredk wrote: September 5th, 2023, 10:51 am I use a car paint lacquer for gloss or matt finishes now
I too warm my cans, in extremely hot water though
maybe I like living on the edge?
The best sports are extreme.
Overhead a rainbow appears...in black and white.

Current Projects:
Aircraft of VMA-542, USMC
Peru-Ecuador War 1995
THK 1939-2023
Polish Air Force 1939

Return to “Construction Tips”