Japanese paint

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
Miko
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Japanese paint

Post by Miko »

I'm a recent convert having finally given up on inconsistent performance of Humbrol enamels after half a century of usage. I've invested in Mr Hobby color and Tamiya paints, but in my limited experience I can find no great difference in how these perform.
I'm wondering what's your preference guys?
For me there's little in it, one advantage Tamiya has is their availability from my LMS, Mr Color has to be acquired online

Miko
BWP
Got in under the wire

Re: Japanese paint

Post by BWP »

Tamiya make several different ranges of paints -- acrylics, lacquers, and enamels.

So far as I am aware, Mr Color only make lacquers.

Personally I only have experience with the Tamiya acrylics. I have found that they (usually) brush poorly, unless you thin them with a lacquer-based thinner. (Not the default Tamiya acrylic thinner; personally I use the Gunze "levelling" thinner.) The lacquer adds "bite" to the paint leading to pretty good coverage. Using an airbrush the regular thinner is fine (although again you can use the lacquer thinner if you like) and they spray pretty well. You can thin them with water but I've not personally had great success when doing so.

Lacquer paints have the "bite" built-in, of course, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they brush well. I get the impression that lacquer paints always work better from an airbrush. It may (and probably does) vary by brand.
Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia
"I want to decide who lives and who dies."
My Model Profile
dogsbody
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.
Location: The Backside of Beyond ( Northeast Alberta, Canada )

Post by dogsbody »

With Tamiya acrylics, you can also get their Paint Retarder and add a bit of that. It slows the drying time for brushing and it also works when airbrushing. The Mr. Color Leveling Thinner also works well.

CHris
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

If you're spraying, then they both perform about the same. With MLT, they're even compatible with each other. I prefer Tamiya just because I've been using it for so long, and I know what I'm getting myself into.

Thin with MLT, as suggested above. You can also thin Tamiya with Isopropyl (which is what their brand thinner is). Do not try thinning Mr Color with Isopropyl, you'll get a giant gummy mess

Neither paint is really suitable for brush work, but as Chris says, Tamiya's retarder makes that possible. Don't try to brush Mr. Color

Note, all comments are regarding Tamiya acrylic. I have not tried Tamiya's new Lacquer Painto line.

You can find and listen to an episode of Sprue Cutters Union podcast, where they go WAY into the weeds on the chemistry of these (and other paints) and why they work the way they do.

Return to “Small Talk”