Colour references needed for DAK Tiger depot.

Chill out 'n' talk about anything. Have a giggle, play a game or have a rant and try not to fall off the Soap Box. (NOTE Standard Forum Rules apply).
Bissyboat
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Colour references needed for DAK Tiger depot.

Post by Bissyboat »

I need help from the oracles. So here it is. I got this Kibri factory kit and I wish to use it as a dioarama for the 1/72 131 Tiger 1.

Can anyone suggest what colours I should use on the buildings to make them more conformed to a North African WWII climate?

Any help on the subject is most appreciated. 8-)
"We're going to need a bigger boat"
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Re: Colour references needed for DAK Tiger depot.

Post by AndrewR »

Here are a few Tunisia and Libya WW2 colour photos. Some buildings. No red brick!

https://www.vintag.es/2013/05/color-pho ... n.html?m=1
Up in the Great White North
Bissyboat

Post by Bissyboat »

AndrewR wrote: October 22nd, 2023, 1:14 am Here are a few Tunisia and Libya WW2 colour photos. Some buildings. No red brick!

https://www.vintag.es/2013/05/color-pho ... n.html?m=1
That´s excellent. Found a lot of useful colour references from the photos. A lot of rudimentary houses. Mine is a little too established and looks more industrial. Having said that, I think that I can use the style of the buildingworks to suit my purpose. I´m thinking sand and dust and alternate painted brickwalls using light beige mixed with light grey and khaki. I might have to try out a few options with testers. Thank you for the link. :beer:
iggie

Post by iggie »

The liklihood is that any bricks seen would have been sun dried mud, rather than fired clay, and even then, most likely 'plastered' with mud/straw mixture to weatherproof the mud bricks. The mud render could well have fallen off over large areas, but your choice of beige and greys would be suited to the exposed mud bricks 👍
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Davem
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Davem »

That wrecked Italian fighter has an Interesting mix of camouflage patterns.
Bissyboat

Post by Bissyboat »

iggie wrote: October 22nd, 2023, 2:36 pm The liklihood is that any bricks seen would have been sun dried mud, rather than fired clay, and even then, most likely 'plastered' with mud/straw mixture to weatherproof the mud bricks. The mud render could well have fallen off over large areas, but your choice of beige and greys would be suited to the exposed mud bricks 👍
That´s very useful information Jim. Thank you for the input.

Return to “General Chat”