1/350 DML USS HAMPTON SSN 767

If it goes on or under the wet stuff and doesn't fly, it's in here.
Ernie
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

1/350 DML USS HAMPTON SSN 767

Post by Ernie »

Recently I finished the LA Class Submarine the USS Hampton SSN 767. This is from the very old DML kit (Ca. 1990), so the details we a bit lacking and the kit dated. I added the built-up deck around the deck hatches, the anhedral stern planes on the lower aft hull were not included in the kit. These were taken from a HobbyBoss LA class sub kit and grafted onto the DML hull. The hatches for the Vertical Launch System tubes were separate parts, and there was no way these were ever going to look good so I used the optional upper bow piece in the kit without the hatches, and instead replicated the hatches with appropriately sized and shape 1/144 airliner window decals (Boeing 707 turned out to be the correct size). I had black windows without the frame outline that would have been a more realistic choice, but their use by date had long ago expired and I could not get them to stick so went with a different sheet that had the window frame outlines, though they do have a nice stylistic flare to them I suppose. The masts were modified from the kit parts so they resembled more closely the actual units, and the annular ring propeller is a 3D printed part that matches the prop on the real boat.

DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: 1/350 DML USS HAMPTON SSN 767

Post by DavidWomby »

Well done. Turned out looking good.

David
Clashcityrocker
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: 1/350 DML USS HAMPTON SSN 767

Post by Clashcityrocker »

A nice looking submarine.

Nigel