Tamiya 1/24 Artillery officer

Whole chunks of real life...scaled down, figures in all scales...even footballers!
Bissyboat
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Tamiya 1/24 Artillery officer

Post by Bissyboat »

Very old kit made of metal with a plastic base. This was a project made to practise new painting tools using artist oils. Not my finest hour, but it´s a milestone in figure painting. The base was marbled using German grey, Royal Navy Grey and flat white. The paint was dabbed on using stiff brush and sponge.

"We're going to need a bigger boat"
rob_van_riel

Re: Tamiya 1/24 Artillery officer

Post by rob_van_riel »

Now there's a blast from the past...

The paintwork looks good, and can only improve with more experience with the medium.

I'm not so sure these were made from tin though; the alloy seems quite a bit harder that what I'm used to for tin/lead alloys, harder even than Linotype.
Bissyboat

Post by Bissyboat »

rob_van_riel wrote: November 1st, 2023, 6:23 pm Now there's a blast from the past...

The paintwork looks good, and can only improve with more experience with the medium.

I'm not so sure these were made from tin though; the alloy seems quite a bit harder that what I'm used to for tin/lead alloys, harder even than Linotype.
Thanks for the input Rob. You´re absolutely right. It´s not tin, but metal. Just found the box. Copy corrected. 8-)
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Nicely painted. I do like the marbled base.

Nigel
B4en

Post by B4en »

Wow, that looks like some really old Tamiya sculpting - early '70's? I didn't know they had ever done metal figures.

The marbling on the base looks great! Shame the proportions of the figure itself don't do you any favours. (To my own shame I was immediately reminded of an old punk 'classic' by Crass called Big Hands. :oops: ) I tend to use artist's oils sparingly because of the tiresome drying time, but thinned down they are great for washes, outlining, and stuff like panel lines. Recently I've been trying artist's acrylics on some figures with mixed success.
The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.
Bissyboat

Post by Bissyboat »

Clashcityrocker wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 5:25 am Nicely painted. I do like the marbled base.

Nigel
Thank you Nigel. I had more success painting the base than the figure. :grin:
Impisi

Post by Impisi »

I think you painting practise worked out well. Using oils is not that easy in the beginning.
Cheers
Martin

my recent builds
Bissyboat

Post by Bissyboat »

B4en wrote: November 4th, 2023, 7:05 am Wow, that looks like some really old Tamiya sculpting - early '70's? I didn't know they had ever done metal figures.

The marbling on the base looks great! Shame the proportions of the figure itself don't do you any favours. (To my own shame I was immediately reminded of an old punk 'classic' by Crass called Big Hands. :oops: ) I tend to use artist's oils sparingly because of the tiresome drying time, but thinned down they are great for washes, outlining, and stuff like panel lines. Recently I've been trying artist's acrylics on some figures with mixed success.
Thank you for th feedback and input. Yes. takes time to dry, but gives you plenty of time to work on the look, and doing tweaks if needed. I used artist oils only for shading, highlights and pinwash. The brushwork is mainly with Tamiya acryilics. Good shake with thinners and thin layers with little paint per coat usually help. I have two more metal figures in the stash. I could happily paint another. Thanks again. :beer:
Bissyboat

Post by Bissyboat »

Impisi wrote: November 4th, 2023, 9:38 am I think you painting practise worked out well. Using oils is not that easy in the beginning.
Thanks Martin. No. It´s very difficult, but I´m getting a little better each time. 8-)

Return to “Figures and Diorama”