Somua S.35 (1.72 Heller)

Millitary miscellany; Tanks, AFV, Trucks and other Soft-Skin vehicles etc.
B4en
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Somua S.35 (1.72 Heller)

Post by B4en »

A nice looking kit out of the box but with a few problems. I found fitting the lower hull to the upper body required some guesswork, and some of the detail (e.g. side engine access hatches) is much simplified for ease of removal from the moulds. The latter was corrected with some careful carving and scratch additions. The suspension is beautifully moulded but largely hidden. Tracks are terrible and I used the old trick of adapting some spare Sherman tracks to get something closer to the real thing. A shortage of radios meant they were rarely fitted in French service but I thought 'what the hell' and gave this one an aerial. Camo is one of the kit options.

The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.
Clashcityrocker

Re: Somua S.35 (1.72 Heller)

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Very nice. I like the camo painting.

Nigel
B4en

Post by B4en »

Thanks Nigel, it took a while to get it looking about right. I wish I'd worked a bit harder on repainting the decals now as well, as some of the white looks a bit wobbly now seeing it on a larger scale on screen. Oh well, we live and learn, occasionally.
Spaceowl

Post by Spaceowl »

Love it! There were a lot of difficult camo schemes around on early war vehicles and the French had the bulk of them. Special praise for attempting one of the especially hard ones.
Overhead a rainbow appears...in black and white.

Current Projects:
Aircraft of VMA-542, USMC
Peru-Ecuador War 1995
THK 1939-2023
Polish Air Force 1939
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That is a great Somua, Ben and certainly those French camo schemes can be a challenge but I find them very appealing, in the same way that I find French Air Force schemes from the same period.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
B4en

Post by B4en »

My thanks guys, it's nice to have some fellow modellers appreciate my builds.
ShaunW wrote: November 12th, 2023, 5:56 pm those French camo schemes can be a challenge but I find them very appealing, in the same way that I find French Air Force schemes from the same period.
The French certainly loved their arty camo. I keep meaning to try some early war French aircraft but haven't plucked up the courage yet. Anything you could recommend for a French aircraft novice Shaun?
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Camo work is superb.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
B4en

Post by B4en »

JamesPerrin wrote: November 13th, 2023, 11:45 am Camo work is superb.
Marci bien James!
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Great build, and great to see you back in the game again. I remember you as the fellow archaeo (and master of braille scale ) on the BM forum.
B4en

Post by B4en »

Softscience wrote: November 17th, 2023, 5:36 am Great build, and great to see you back in the game again. I remember you as the fellow archaeo (and master of braille scale ) on the BM forum.
Hi again Ralph (?). good to hear from you again and thanks for the high praise. Sadly I'm a longtime ex-archaeo by now. Not sure I ever posted on BM, it was probably ATF?
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

B4en wrote: November 13th, 2023, 10:53 am My thanks guys, it's nice to have some fellow modellers appreciate my builds.
ShaunW wrote: November 12th, 2023, 5:56 pm those French camo schemes can be a challenge but I find them very appealing, in the same way that I find French Air Force schemes from the same period.
The French certainly loved their arty camo. I keep meaning to try some early war French aircraft but haven't plucked up the courage yet. Anything you could recommend for a French aircraft novice Shaun?
Not really, Ben, as despite liking the look of the camo I haven't as yet got round to building any French AF models! :oops: That said it depends on your preferred scale and for single-engine fighters mine is 1/48th, so I would probably look at Tamiya.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
B4en

Post by B4en »

ShaunW wrote: November 18th, 2023, 5:01 pm Not really, Ben, as despite liking the look of the camo I haven't as yet got round to building any French AF models! :oops: That said it depends on your preferred scale and for single-engine fighters mine is 1/48th, so I would probably look at Tamiya.
No problem Shaun, and thanks. I realized I have done French WW1 aircraft (in fact working on one currently). At some point I'll meander into some early WW2 types and see what happens.

Return to “Tanks, AFV and other Military Models”