Maschinen Krieger Type 44 Mk 44 Ammoknights

From Apollo and Soyuz, to Gerry Anderson, Irwin Allen, Star Wars and Trek to Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica and those strange, doe-eyed Japanese school girls...to any model kits you can think of, that only exists in imagination.
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Maschinen Krieger Type 44 Mk 44 Ammoknights

Post by Canuck2016 »

Good day all!

This is Machinen Krieger’s (Hasegawa, I believe) Type 44 Ammoknight. This is my first MaK kit, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. As I found with Warhammer kits, the quality is very good, they build up easily and solidly, and it’s quite liberating to do science fiction subjects where you aren’t bound by accuracy issues, and you can let your imagination run free a little.

This was built mostly OOB, with the following exceptions: I added a cast texture and weld beads to many of the parts using putty, I added a piece of wire for the antenna, some fine wire for (what I assume are) the smoke dischargers, and I used some shiny plastic wrap and rhinestones for the optics in the visor. The base is bits of cork board glued to a wooden plaque and coated with tile grout, as recommended by one of my favourite modelling gurus “Nightshift”. Here’s a link to the the appropriate video, as he explains it gooder than I ever could!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZceUYf ... LN&index=6

The kit went together very nicely, although I could have done a better job fitting the interior polycaps, which is why you see the prominent sutures where the armour sections join. My own fault, not Hasegawa’s! There’s also some soft vinyl for the hoses. The finished model is compact but surprisingly heavy. It stands very steadily on its solid legs, and is even posable in the major joints, visor, and breastplate. The decal sheet has some colourful, imaginative designs, and the decals settle down beautifully with some Solvaset, even on my overstated “cast” texture.

The build starts from the feet and works up. When I got to the waist, I was reminded of the dreaded techno-trousers (ex-NASA!) from the Wallace & Gromit classic “The Wrong Trousers”.

You have a choice of a full-figure standing pilot, or a basic head and torso which fit into the cockpit. Incidentally, this build allowed me to improve my figure painting skills by leaps and bounds, from non-existent to terrible.

I recommend this kit to anyone who wants a good quality build which is a change from the ordinary. This was my first MaK kit, but I don’t think it will be my last!

All the best!

iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Maschinen Krieger Type 44 Mk 44 Ammoknights

Post by iggie »

Love it Fred! Your armour building skills have transferred seamlessly across to this! 👍
I have built a couple of their 1/35 Kriegers and they really build up nicely :grin:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

Thanks Iggie! Yes, it was a very enjoyable build. I found myself scrambling a bit with the interior, but the outside responds very well to anything you'd do for a tank model! :)
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

You can't really go wrong can you? Very nicely done

Nigel
Impisi

Post by Impisi »

Very nice 1 person tank
Cheers
Martin

my recent builds
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

Interesting
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
B4en

Post by B4en »

Very nicely done. For some reason it reminds me of Horrigan from Fallout 2.
The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

B4en wrote: November 15th, 2023, 11:31 am Very nicely done. For some reason it reminds me of Horrigan from Fallout 2.
I wasn't familiar, but I Googled him and I'd say you're right! :)
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Great work on the heavy weathering, really feels like it's seen some action.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)

Return to “Real Space, Sci-Fi and What-iffery”