The kit in your stash that you're afraid to build!!

Here's where the general chat and organization of Group/Shared Builds takes place, with Guidelines, the GB/SB Calendar, and an Index to completed GBs.

Moderator: PaulBradley

Impisi
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: The kit in your stash that you're afraid to build!!

Post by Impisi »

JohnRatzenberger wrote: November 20th, 2023, 3:05 am There is no "kit" in the "stash" that scares me such that I wouldn't build it, or at least try. I like to think that kits don't get into the stash without that factor already being considered. If there are any (mostly vacform biplane flying boats), then they are waiting until I build myself up to that level so I can address then with hope of success.

I liked James' answer, paraphrased: "I think the kits that scare me are the ones I want to make a commitment in time to get it right regardless of the fiddliest bits of fine resin and PE." Compound that with my own propensity to turn a "kit" into a "project" through conversions, modifications, add-ons, etc, and sooner or later I find myself in way over my head before I even start and I cannot bring myself to scale it back to something within my current skill (& health) set.

I am concerned that some of these GB proposals are getting away from the old UAMF definitions found in the Guidelines.
I for me can only agree, John. It is not the kit that scars me, it is what I want it to be in the end, what scares me - you are right. So my proposed 1/32 Mirage would most probably go way ahead of your mentioned UAMF definitions.
Cheers
Martin

my recent builds
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

JohnRatzenberger wrote: November 20th, 2023, 3:05 am I am concerned that some of these GB proposals are getting away from the old UAMF definitions found in the Guidelines.
Well, I guess we need to get wild and crazy every now and again... :ha: :lol:

But seriously, we'll see if this works. If not, a lesson learned.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Here's a revised GB schedule for 2024:

Paul

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

JohnRatzenberger wrote: November 20th, 2023, 3:05 am I liked James' answer, paraphrased: "I think the kits that scare me are the ones I want to make a commitment in time to get it right regardless of the fiddliest bits of fine resin and PE." Compound that with my own propensity to turn a "kit" into a "project" through conversions, modifications, add-ons, etc, and sooner or later I find myself in way over my head before I even start and I cannot bring myself to scale it back to something within my current skill (& health) set.
I am sure that applies to most of us - I certainly am not afraid to admit that I have FOMU - Fear Of Messing Up!

My first thought for this GB was the Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire, a kit that apparently is a lovely build and which online results appear to be uniformly excellent. Can I reach that level, or will I somehow mess it up? Compound that with the fact that I've bought aftermarket bits that exceed the value of the kit, and that fear increases. And fear of messing up an expensive kit is very different from messing up a $5 kit. I think that's a perfectly valid reason to be afraid to build a kit, and one that I feel most of us will attest to. Nothing wrong with that in my book. So this GB gives me the opportunity to confront that fear, with others. I think that is a positive.

Yes, the premise of the GB does allow for basically any kit to be built, but that's not a bad thing. We are a small forum - we are not BritModeller with umpty-hundred active members able to participate in 7 or 8 diverse GBs simultaneously. An opportunity to 'let our hair down' with a very broad GB once and a while might be a good thing. Let's see how it goes.
Paul

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Oh, and I think it would be nice if participants, in their opening thread post once the GB starts, explained what it is that scares them about the kit they chose. :)
Paul

JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

What if I can't participate because I am too afraid to build it?
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
iggie

Post by iggie »

JamesPerrin wrote: November 21st, 2023, 3:30 pm What if I can't participate because I am too afraid to build it?
Ebay? :-D
It's a fair question! I suspect that I have a couple of kits that fit that description and that ultimately I'll reach the same conclusion about (as opposed to only suspecting) and they'll get moved on to make space for others :grin:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
iggie

Post by iggie »

PaulBradley wrote: November 21st, 2023, 3:24 pm Oh, and I think it would be nice if participants, in their opening thread post once the GB starts, explained what it is that scares them about the kit they chose. :)
Agreed 👍
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

JamesPerrin wrote: November 21st, 2023, 3:30 pm What if I can't participate because I am too afraid to build it?
Marjorie Proops, that well-known modeller and agony aunt, says: "Only you can work through those issues, but this is a perfect opportunity to participate with others who may be in the same predicament." :-D

Yoda, that other famous modeller and agony aunt, says: "Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Build tanks do not, yes..."
Paul

AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

To quote the Bene Gesserit:

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
Up in the Great White North
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

iggie wrote: November 21st, 2023, 4:00 pm
Ebay? :-D
It's a fair question! I suspect that I have a couple of kits that fit that description and that ultimately I'll reach the same conclusion about (as opposed to only suspecting) and they'll get moved on to make space for others :grin:
This is an interesting discussion. I tend to be unafraid to build/attempt/ruin something. It's my kit and I'll do what I want -- and I do not compete against others. Fear or scared is on another level, perhaps that I reserve for people - my family - certainly not a model kit; I don't even like the adopted Calendar name for this GB.

But James throws a new quirk into this and as I parse it, it introduces that the real scare/fear is not failure but success - and that is interesting. I have a few kits that might qualify - if I build it then I'll no longer have it -- and simply buying another is not the same thing, if even possible. I will have to think about this. It is not the same as being a collector.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
wokka

Post by wokka »

Talking of fear in kit building, a couple of years ago I tried building the AMP Bristol Sycamore. I persisted with the kit even though I knew I had messed it up and in the end I binned it. I said then I'll have another go and maybe this GB will help me put my demons with this kit to bed. First of all I need to pluck up the courage to take part.
It's only pain, work through it.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Blimey, this is getting very philosophical :-D
If a kit box falls from the stash but there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound? 🤣
JohnRatzenberger wrote: November 21st, 2023, 5:04 pm I have a few kits that might qualify - if I build it then I'll no longer have it -- and simply buying another is not the same thing, if even possible. I will have to think about this. It is not the same as being a collector.
And there you have possibly my real fear John...and very succinctly put too, if I may say. And I agree regarding not being a collector, except if it is the rarity that stops one from building a kit, then almost by default, doesn't that make me a collector? :shock: And it's not just big kits that fall into this bracket either; one of my smallest kits (Pitts Special in 1/72, Rothmans scheme) is a bit hard to find nowadays, so I'm scared or should that be reluctant,
to build the one I have in the stash...
Best wishes

Jim
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

To paraphrase Al Murray (as The Pub Landlord) - that is a perfectly reasonable statement James and I'm sure we could help you with that and maybe even offer some counselling, or, alternatively, you could just

SNAP OUT OF IT - SNAP, OUT OF IT! :twisted: :ha: :ha:
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

iggie wrote: November 21st, 2023, 6:06 pm one of my smallest kits (Pitts Special in 1/72, Rothmans scheme) is a bit hard to find nowadays, so I'm scared or should that be reluctant,
to build the one I have in the stash...
Oh don't get me started on those, they're like rocking horse poo - and the Microlease boxing is next to impossible to find. My wife used to work for Microlease when she was younger and I'd dearly love to build one for her. It's getting to the point where I might have to kill someone to get one (kidding... just...maybe).

I'm not sure if I'll take part in the GB, but I have a lot of kits that scare me - mainly ones that are far larger than my usual builds and a lot more complicated - the Airfix V-bombers, Tamiya Tomcat, Kittyhawk SU-17 and a few ship kits to name a few. Basically the stuff that's outside my scope of experience.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “The Group/Shared Build Chat”