Talk About Small

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
DamianHarty
Getting well comfy!

Talk About Small

Post by DamianHarty »

I went to Telford over the weekend. It was pretty fascinating in many ways, not least was the most impressively respectful two minute silence I have ever seen.

But anyway, the thing that most fascinated me, as someone who started building models in their early teens and has continued off and on in the hundreds of years ever since, was the totally baffling sense of scale I got when they were all collected on tables.

At first I was looking at the planes and wondering "Why are there so many 1/144th models, and nothing bigger than 1/48th?" But after some time I managed to convince myself that I was basically out by a factor of two in my head. In the end I had to stare at a couple of those builds where people have painted the parts on the sprues and presented the unassembled kit in a picture frame to really convince myself that these tiny things really were 1/72nd scale. Even then my lizard brain kept chanting "Oh no they're not!"

Has anyone else ever experienced this, or is it just me?
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: Talk About Small

Post by JamesPerrin »

I think everything must seem small in comparison to SMW especially on a first visit
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

You should have taken a look at the ICC food prices - that would have re-adjusted your sense of scale :shock: :ha:
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
wokka
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by wokka »

beany wrote: November 15th, 2023, 3:50 pm You should have taken a look at the ICC food prices - that would have re-adjusted your sense of scale :shock: :ha:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's only pain, work through it.

Return to “Small Talk”