the artifact *finished*

From Apollo and Soyuz, to Gerry Anderson, Irwin Allen, Star Wars and Trek to Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica and those strange, doe-eyed Japanese school girls...to any model kits you can think of, that only exists in imagination.
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

the artifact *finished*

Post by rob_van_riel »

A while back, I posted a big critter build I referred to as a draconic experiment, since it was just that in preparation of a bigger project. Well, this is it. Due to far too many real life distractions, I got to work on it far too late, since there's hard deadline on 2024-01-14, but we'll see...

Real-life context:
The first meeting of the local IPMS chapter is traditionally at the LHS, and the owner always specifies a theme for the informal competition. For 2024, that theme is Fokker DXXI, and the owner generously handed out the 1/72 PM kit to anyone wanting to take part in the competition.
The thing is, I couldn't possibly care less about the Fokker DXXI. So, I'm going to cheat like crazy. The jury for the competition consists of the wife of the owner, and occasionally his daughter. And I just happen to know the wife's got a thing for dragons, especially purple ones (really BIG thing; she had a full scale hot air balloon custom built in the shape of a purple dragon). I happen to think dragons are a lot more interesting than the Fokker :-D
The rules say that Fokker has to be in there somewhere, and recognisable as such. There's absolutely no rule saying it has to be in remotely airworthy condition, or that you can't hand it over to a dragon :twisted:

Backstory:
In the late 1930s, Hitler's obsession with supernatural forces paid off, and his cronies, with typical subtlety and diplomatic finesse, janked open the door to a larger reality. The folks, and I use that term broadly, for few even resembled humans, on the other side of the door were distinctly unamused by this most uncouth intrusion into their affairs, and sent a largish delegation to explain this in some detail. Or, to put it more bluntly, sent back a host that beat the everloving crap out of anyone and anything that showed the slightest bit of attitude in record time.
Peace and quiet so restored, and Earth as we know it swiftly annexed, time passed as it rather stubbornly insists on doing.
Centuries after the annexation, a prominent archeologist has tracked down an artifact from what became known as the Age of Monkeys..

What? You thought that dragons spent their millenia long lifespans dozing on a pile of gems and precious metals, occasionally going on a trip to torch the countryside and snack on some virgins. Puh-lease, that gets so incredibly, mind numbingly boring after a few years..
Hobbies and academic interests rule! I also have a model somewhere of a dragon that is, with intense concentration, painting a model. I'll get around to that one eventually.

Back to the model.

The PM Fokker will be there, of course, but my (probably overambitious) plan is to reduce it to a mostly rotted skeleton, pulled out of a bog by a big ol' dragon with a fondness for history and a knack for earth moving magicks (it takes forever to get muck off your claws, and shovels are clumsy). Cast in the role of our dragon is Citadel's Great Spined Dragon, a model from the late 80s that clocks in a 300 grams of 'eavy metal (as Citadel used to call it), even without the wings. It was a gift from a fellow modeler a few years back, since he had no idea what to do with the critter. I warned him at the time that I suspected he might be giving away a very valuable model. Neither of us realised that the 15 pound sticker price is now just a few percent of the price collectors will pay.
Silly collectors, models are made to be built :twisted:

To give an idea of how big this dragon is, a rough layout shot:

The airplane in the picture is not the one that will end up in the actual vignette, but a roughly thrown together 3D print of the same subject. It will never be finished, but will help me build up the base, in particular the crater it will sit in.
The core on the base is 10mm plywood, with the angled rims also courtesy of the 3D printer (when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail..). In the picture, they were still loose, but the've since been glued to the plywood. There will be a second pice of plywood just below the level of the rims, with scenery mats on top of that, and an unnaturally round crater still at the botom level for the wreck to sit in.

The dragon has had it's head, right rear leg, and tail attached, with heavy duty PU glue and with the tail heavily pinned. The head extends a bit below the feet, so it has to sit on something. This is complicated by the fact that the base bits around it's feet are not all in the same plane, and no amount of twisting could convince them otherwise. It will have to sit on something rounded. I found a design for a rock, actually a standing stone, that is close enough to serve as a base to build a dragon-compatible rock from. It is my intention to leave the rock loose from the rest of the base, and the actual dragon loose from the rock, to allow display under different conditions, as well as possible recycling of the dragon at some point, although it won't be a great drama is the dragon and rock become inseparable.

The kit provides the fingers of the wings, but not the skin between them. Instead, templates are supplied to cut the skin from paper. The fingers were badly bent, but due to the softness of the metal, it was quite easy to bend them back into the proper shape.
Using paper for the skin between them would look absurdly thin on a dragon this large, so I need something beefier. I'm thinking chamois leather should do the trick (dragon wings are usually described as leathery, and nothing is more leathery than leather), but whether it will cooperate remains to be seem.

Both because of the rarety of the model, and the short time left for the job, I want to be absolutely sure I don't mess up the painting of the dragon. So, there will be a second test subject. Like the earlier dragon, it's base colour will be Tamiya Gold Leaf, but I've added a duller metal colour (no point in mentioning specifics, since its from a bad batch of gold paint, but in a true Bob Ross style happy accident, it seems like just the thing for dragon skin base or the odd weathered statue) to the undersides. I'll be overcoating with the actual Hot Metal Violet intended for the big one to make sure it works out once the extra paint I ordered arrives.

In the mean time, here's the current state of 'junior':

If his left rear foot looks a bit off, that's because it is a crudely built prostetic, since he suffered some damage in transport.

As can be seen, I've made a start at reshaping the rock the big one will be sitting on with hacksaw and milliput.
wokka

Re: the artifact

Post by wokka »

What a great idea and a good way of putting interest in something that is of no interest.
It's only pain, work through it.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

This sounds fun. On a side note I believe the Spined Dragon is still available though not from Citadel, another figure manufacturer has it now.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
B4en

Post by B4en »

Lol. I like!
The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.
iggie

Post by iggie »

This should be interesting!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

JamesPerrin wrote: December 4th, 2023, 8:49 amOn a side note I believe the Spined Dragon is still available though not from Citadel, another figure manufacturer has it now.
Interesting.. It's not like I desperately need another one of these, but I'm curious to know who picked it up - they may have other interesting critters. I did a quick search but came up blank. I don't suppose you have a link somewhere?
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I did have a quick look but came up blank. It was mentioned in a YT vid or a podcast though no idea which. Search for the sculptor, Nick Bibley?
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

JamesPerrin wrote: December 4th, 2023, 7:37 pm I did have a quick look but came up blank. It was mentioned in a YT vid or a podcast though no idea which. Search for the sculptor, Nick Bibley?
The closest I found was this dragon: https://www.alternative-armies.com/coll ... nick-bibby

Calling that NB2 is just a tad confusing, because there also seems to have been a different NB2 by Nick Bibby in the Citadel days:
https://www.miniatures-workshop.com/los ... eat_Dragon
Rather sad story behind it too..
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

rob_van_riel wrote: December 4th, 2023, 10:10 pm
JamesPerrin wrote: December 4th, 2023, 7:37 pm I did have a quick look but came up blank. It was mentioned in a YT vid or a podcast though no idea which. Search for the sculptor, Nick Bibley?
The closest I found was this dragon: https://www.alternative-armies.com/coll ... nick-bibby

Calling that NB2 is just a tad confusing, because there also seems to have been a different NB2 by Nick Bibby in the Citadel days:
https://www.miniatures-workshop.com/los ... eat_Dragon
Rather sad story behind it too..

Looks like I’m getting my oldhammer dragons confused. I believe it’s the Zombie Dragon that was being referred to. This was by Ral Partha and resold in a nice box by GW. And it is still available http://www.ralparthaeurope.co.uk/shop/d ... -3247.html
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

I starting the think the PM kit will escape most of my abuse.
A few months ago I bought the files for this rendition of the Fokker.
My initial plan was to use a quick and dirty print for visualisation, and base some damaged parts on it, but it now looks like I'll do the entire airplane (well, what's left of it) from these files. I don't have anything worth posting a render of yet, but so far I'm having a blast modifying and "assembling" the parts digitally. Once I've got them as beat up as I want, I'll do a render and, more importantly, see what the printer will make of the results.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

The digital butchery is done.

These original parts

became these sub-assemblies

which were hacked up into these stripped down subassemblies

which will hopefully become something very much like this

The front section of the fuselage was covered in sheet metal, and should survive being buried for a long time better than the fabric covered parts. The ribbing is by no means accurate, but will perhaps be sufficient to suggest the real thing at this small scale. I left off most of the control surfaces, assuming those would become separated from the main part.

Now, the next big, and quite literal question is: what will the printer make of all this.

I think part of one of the wings and UC pants will be chopped off at a later stage, mechanically. I'll probably have some vegetable junk hanging off the ribs at some point. Of course, everything will be covered in dark brown dirt, and the overall colour of the remains of the plane will be horribly rotted brown :twisted:

The mail delivered several bags of pre-fab papier mache today. If this stuff works out, I'll be using it to sculpt the crater the plane will sit in from. A different parcel held the 'hot metal violet' intended for the dragon.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

"Junior" has really earned it's upkeep, but not necessarily in a good way. As I'd done earlier with Hot Metal Red, I started misting on multiple layers of HM Violet over the gold. It doesn't work. After a few layers gold+violet becomes grubby grey. I could build up the violet more, but the end result is close to fully opaque purple, which is not what I wanted.
So, I bullied another dragon into modelling for me, this time with a base of AK Extreme Metal Aluminium over black base. A much better result, in my opinion, although vastly different from the red-and-gold. This one, frankly, looks cold and menacing, which is not necessarily a bad look for a dragon.

It's fiendishly hard to capture these colours on camera, my apologies for the dubious quality.

Meanwhile, I have some presentable progress on the decayed plane:

The ribbing is clearly too coarse, but I hope it will do when dirtied up some.

I managed to lose the engine cowling somehow, so I've had to make do with an earlier, non-hollowed print. Since the plane will end up nose down, I'm not too worried about it, but printing a part only to lose it is still embarrassing :oops:
iggie

Post by iggie »

Your carpet monster is keeping pace with your new technology! :-D
I like the 'hot purple' over aluminium; very effective 👍
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Not nearly enough activity lately, but let's see what a desperate last minute scramble can achieve :roll:

The dragon's rock is nearing completion. The exterior is now mostly Milliput, dabbed down with the rough side of a kitchen sponge to create a rather nice rocky surface. The shape now mostly matches the 'stone slabs' underneath the dragon's feet.
It will need some further finishing touches, but I won't need the dragon for that, which means I can start working on the wings.

After some additional measurements I marked out the location of the crater and scattered spacers over the rest of the bottom surface. The upper deck will rest on these.

Most of the top deck will be covered by scenery mats I purchased. I could never do a surface this nice myself, so I threw money at the problem.
There not cheap, but the are very pretty.

By now, the rim of the base has been given it's coat of somewhat glossy black. I almost forgot this step, realising only at the last minute I had to do this before building the scenery :oops:
The top deck is installed. The small holes are meaningless; this was just a convenient piece of scrap plywood.

I played around with the pre-fab papier-mache, and made a sort of test crater out of it. This particular experiment, although messier than I like, seems to have worked out, so the real crater will be built with a similar process. The tubes of acrylics I bought to paint the crater with have also passed muster. Whatever else comes of this, I'll have plenty of dark, thick mud to play with :-D
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Since I was using the dragon as a way to put pressure on the scenery while the glue set anyway, I did a more complete mock-up of the final idea.

The wings have been attached to the dragon, and it's beginning to show just how big this beasty is..

There were quite heavy mould lines on the wings, and cleanup was considerably complicated by the long, thing fingers of soft and malleable metal. Filing metal without applying any significant force is a challenge, and even sanding filler isn't the usual breeze.

Return to “Real Space, Sci-Fi and What-iffery”