WW1 British Infantry (1/35 Tamiya)

Whole chunks of real life...scaled down, figures in all scales...even footballers!
B4en
Modelling Gent and Scholar

WW1 British Infantry (1/35 Tamiya)

Post by B4en »

What a great set! Some excellent sculpting and poses, near perfect fit, options for headgear and equipment. Unpainted they could almost be a group of heroic statues on a war memorial. Construction is easy with only minor cleanup needed, though I have to say there is no obvious place to fit some of the gear even using the box art as a guide. I added paper chinstraps, bag straps and rifle slings, and rounded off the rifle butts as they were a little too square in section. Also made bases for the kneeling and lying figures for ease of handling. The gear is later WW1 so suitable for 1917-18, with plenty left over for the spares box. The hardest part to paint was the Captain's rank insignia, which annoyingly hardly show up in the photos!.

This set was at one point issued with the Tamiya Mk IV tank so I guess they are meant to represent troops at Cambrai. This has some resonance for me as one of my grandfathers - then a 19 year old company runner in the Bedfords - was shot during that battle. He was hit by a sniper running a message back on day one of the German counter offensive after seeing his best pal shot down on the same run. He lay in a shell hole for three days before the Germans picked him up. He never forgot the kindness of an old German woman who fed him raw eggs from a basket at a train station, or the terrible starvation in Germany in 1918. He was 6 foot 3 inches and came back weighing 6 1/2 stone. At least he did come back.

url=https://postimages.org/]Image[/url]

The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.
Clashcityrocker

Re: WW1 British Infantry (1/35 Tamiya)

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Very nicely done set of figures, and hats off to your grandad.

Nigel
B4en

Re: WW1 British Infantry (1/35 Tamiya)

Post by B4en »

Thanks Nigel, the current Tamiya figure sculptor is an absolute master.
The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.

Return to “Figures and Diorama”