1/350 Tamiya IJN Kagero

If it goes on or under the wet stuff and doesn't fly, it's in here.
skypirate
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: 1/350 Tamiya IJN Kagero

Post by skypirate »

Un-bloody-believable!
And bloody well done!

David
Tim Reynaga
Active Participant

Post by Tim Reynaga »

skypirate wrote: January 30th, 2024, 6:15 am Un-bloody-believable!
And bloody well done!

David
Thanks David, but really I am mostly just doing basic assembly with aftermarket add-ons. I still appreciate the positive waves, though!

Another midships detail is the torpedo reload handling winch. One is included in the kit, but this resin version from Five Star Models is quite a bit better.

Also, the Kagero class destroyers actually carried two of these, but the kit provides only one – and it is undersized. It took substantial winches to shift those 6,000 pound torpedoes!

Here the starboard winch is test fitted in place. The slot at the deck edge will be the base of the torpedo handling overhead gantry crane, and the rectangular box above it is the reload torpedo stowage.
Cardinal
Getting well comfy!

Post by Cardinal »

Way better than the one provided in the kit. Such small details that are hard to find in most kits.
Alex

The more effort I put into a model, the better it becomes!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

The difference between the kit winch and those Five Star replacements is like night and day, the detail in such tiny parts is amazing.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Tim Reynaga
Active Participant

Post by Tim Reynaga »

Cardinal wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 1:31 pm Way better than the one provided in the kit. Such small details that are hard to find in most kits.
ShaunW wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 6:12 pm The difference between the kit winch and those Five Star replacements is like night and day, the detail in such tiny parts is amazing.
I agree guys, these little aftermarket gems are miles ahead of the kit parts. Fortunately there are already quite a few of these brand new-technology fittings available for 1/350 IJN ship models too. I am even contemplating picking up more 3D printed parts to use in lieu of some of the upgrades in the older Infini set already in my possession. Madness I know, but how can I resist? :shock:

Returning to the kit...

Tamiya’s 7.5 meter motor launches are nicely done with accurate shapes and good detail – but they can still be improved!

Here I’ve plumped up the kit bumpers with putty and added the etched brass details from the Infini set.

The brass fittings are quite small, but these kit-specific parts fit perfectly!

The Infini set comes with life rings as well, but the etched parts are a bit two-dimensional. Test fitted here are a couple of different resin rings: a slender one from North Star Models and a more substantial rendition by Blue Fatty Models. Each looks good, but the Blue Fatty ring on the right is (to my eye at least) slightly more convincing, so I’ll probably go with those.
Tim Reynaga
Active Participant

Post by Tim Reynaga »

Now, on to the boat davits!

The Tamiya kit’s davits for the 7.5 meter boats aren’t bad, but the brass davits from the Infini set (apparently inspired by the Tamiya parts) are better. Even better than these are the Fine Molds injection molded davits whose more slender profile, lightening hole depictions and other details more closely resemble the real fittings.

Not only are the Infini brass davits a bit too wide in profile, but even more importantly, the etched brass parts are just too thin.

They aren't perfect, but the Fine Molds injection molded plastic davits (from set WZ1 of their 1/350 “Nano Dread” series) have the best combination of scale solidity and delicate detail.
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

They really are, "Fine Moulds" :grin:

Nigel
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Absolutely amazing work on this build thus far - your PE work is 1st class and some very nice choices of Resin upgrades.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
B4en

Post by B4en »

Simply stunning stuff Tim! What sort of magnification do you use? I think I'd need watchmakers specs to even see some of these parts.
The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.
Tim Reynaga
Active Participant

Post by Tim Reynaga »

B4en wrote: February 9th, 2024, 9:45 am Simply stunning stuff Tim! What sort of magnification do you use? I think I'd need watchmakers specs to even see some of these parts.

Thanks. Those small PE bits are a snap with my (home modified) high-tech Dollar Store glasses!

:-D
Tim Reynaga
Active Participant

Post by Tim Reynaga »

Clashcityrocker wrote: February 8th, 2024, 3:10 am They really are, "Fine Moulds" :grin:
Nigel
Stuart wrote: February 8th, 2024, 2:51 pm Absolutely amazing work on this build thus far - your PE work is 1st class and some very nice choices of Resin upgrades.
Nigel and Stuart, thanks!

The kit 7 meter cutters are improved by Infini’s brass oars, thwarts, and rudders.

Even better are their cutter davits. Their fold-together design enables detailing on both sides and keeps the etched brass parts from being too flat, and in the case of these smaller davits this approach works perfectly.

Combined with their cone shaped turned brass bases, they are big improvements over the kit parts.
B4en

Post by B4en »

Tim Reynaga wrote: February 9th, 2024, 2:35 pm Thanks. Those small PE bits are a snap with my (home modified) high-tech Dollar Store glasses!

:-D
Like, crazy. Dig it man! :bounce:
The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Snazzy glasses! 🤣
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Tim Reynaga
Active Participant

Post by Tim Reynaga »

Thanks guys!

Now that the Super Bowl is over I'll put my glasses on and spend the rest of the evening playing with the foredeck.

This anchor cable from YXModel is among the really cool aftermarket parts I've found for it...!
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I’ve almost got a complete set of you fingerprints could you balance the next item in your thumb please 😆
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)

Return to “Ships, Boats and Submarines”