1/350 Tamiya IJN Kagero

If it goes on or under the wet stuff and doesn't fly, it's in here.
Tim Reynaga
Active Participant

Re: 1/350 Tamiya IJN Kagero

Post by Tim Reynaga »

ShaunW wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 6:08 pm Lovely and I think it is well worth putting up with the slight mis-match of the treadplate for the sublime detailing of the infini parts.
Thanks Shaun, you may be right. Looking at it now, the treadplate variance is barely noticeable. Once the guns and other details are added the difference likely will be even less significant. Gotta love those gorgeous Infini etched parts...!

A particularly fiddly assembly on the funnel was the handgrab-type ladder which had to be fitted in small sections around the previously installed etched footrails.

The ladder sections came with the Infini upgrade set, but I screwed up so many of these miniscule things during construction that I used them all up and had to restart with similar parts from 5-Star’s 1/350 WWII IJN Vertical Ladders (FS 351018). I went through a good number of these too, but fortunately there were enough extras in that set to get the job done.

The forward funnel also received these handgrabs.
Clashcityrocker
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Clashcityrocker »

More miniature metal magnificence!

Nigel
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Not seen a piece-by-piece ladder like that. Visually it certainly beats the single piece laying alongside the funnel, but omg !
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Remarkable! That is some fine work Tim 👌
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Tim Reynaga
Active Participant

Post by Tim Reynaga »

Thanks gents! I'm trying to keep this build simple, but it just keeps drawing me in...

Looking at the pic of the forward funnel it occurred to me that any sailor accessing the funnel top would have had a heck of a time getting to that bottom rung to start the climb from the deck:

...so I extended the rungs further down the base trunking.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Wonderful, your work with that PE looks so very, very, good. If that's a guess with the extended ladder down the funnel trunking, it makes sense, as left as it was a sailor would have had a tough time clambering around the base to access the first rung. The health and safety of its employees was possibly not uppermost in the IJN's list of priorities but even so......
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Tim Reynaga
Active Participant

Post by Tim Reynaga »

Thanks Shaun!

Much more to come, but for now, a small addition to the forward funnel:

The vent pipe requires only basic mold line cleanup, but I also hollowed out the top ends of the "H" and ventilators at the base.

Test fitted in place these small changes almost disappear, but they are there!
B4en

Post by B4en »

The madness continues... :grin: Totally impressive Tim.
The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.
Tim Reynaga
Active Participant

Post by Tim Reynaga »

B4en wrote: January 28th, 2024, 10:06 am The madness continues... :grin: Totally impressive Tim.
You may have a point about the madness! :roll:

Returning to the AA platform, it is time to sort out the 25mm guns and other equipment.

To start, the Infini upgrade set comes with four open mesh boxes to be mounted on the outside of the safety rails abaft the funnel. I’m not sure what these things were used for – perhaps to hold emergency floater nets like the USN? Anyway, my references confirm that they were there, so I folded the flat etched brass parts into shape and readied them to go aboard.

Although the Infini set also comes with nice brass fold-to-shape replacement ammo boxes, I found these 3D printed resin parts from Blue Fatty Models to be more convincing. The one-piece box castings are remarkably detailed not only with correct lid and hinge detail but with almost microscopic latches as well.

Here the baskets and 25mm ready ammunition lockers are test fitted.

Good as the Blue Fatty ammo boxes are, their type 96 25mm twin guns are truly astonishing! Cast in only two parts (guns/slide and mount) these little gems must be seen to be believed. The hard resin parts are perfectly scaled, and everything is there: open muzzles, detailed ammo clips, trainer & pointer seats/backrests, open handwheel controls and footrests, even flawless ring-and-bead sights... they are absolutely gorgeous!

Another big improvement over the Tamiya kit parts is this resin 90cm searchlight from Black Cat Models.

Here are the Infini brass pieces, Blue Fatty guns/ammo boxes, and the Black Cat searchlight all test fitted in place. They are a jumble of colors at the moment, but once given their uniform coat of IJN Maizuru Naval Arsenal Grey these diverse parts should integrate together nicely.
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Those resin parts really showcase what can be done with that particular medium. Amazing!

Nigel
B4en

Post by B4en »

I thought I'd seen some good resin casting, but as you say Tim those 25mm guns are astonishing!
The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I've pretty much exhausted my supply of superlatives for this build, Tim! This thing is turning into a real work of art and in particular those Blue Fatty 25mm AA guns and ready use ammo boxes are beyond belief. Truly gobsmacking.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
iggie

Post by iggie »

Those guns and ammo bins are astounding!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Cardinal
Getting well comfy!

Post by Cardinal »

Always had an interest for ships, every now and then. But I’m not the greatest. Maybe someday I’ll get back at it, all I’ve done is a Titanic and partially completed an Arizona.
Alex

The more effort I put into a model, the better it becomes!
Tim Reynaga
Active Participant

Post by Tim Reynaga »

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments!

3D printing is an amazing technology to be able to reproduce such complex details in such a small scale. This change in our hobby is comparable to to the development of mass marketed injection molded plastic kits in the 1950s and the advent of photoetched metal and resin upgrade sets in the 1980s. The modeling world will never be the same!

Return to “Ships, Boats and Submarines”