Movie stars: A pair of Shermans.

Millitary miscellany; Tanks, AFV, Trucks and other Soft-Skin vehicles etc.
B4en
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Movie stars: A pair of Shermans.

Post by B4en »

Clashcityrocker wrote: January 13th, 2024, 1:30 am A fine looking crew.

Nigel
Yup, nice work on those figures.
The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

They look great. I watched Fury the other night and you are nicely capturing the look of the vehicle and crew.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
flakmonkey

Post by flakmonkey »

Thanks as always for looking in.

Getting the crew into their desired positions involved a little minor trimming, reposing, and the paint touch ups associated with those activities.

Just waiting on the arrival of the tracks now to complete this one, and then we are ready for Oddball.
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That is an excellent Fury nicely enhanced and brought to life with the crew figures. Once the tracks are on that is going to really look the part (no pun intended :grin: )

IPMS#12300
chrism

Post by chrism »

Prob ought not to mention this.. but you can get a set crew sculpted as the real film crew ... not cheap but... worth it and they look like the actors
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
flakmonkey

Post by flakmonkey »

chrism wrote: January 14th, 2024, 2:08 am Prob ought not to mention this.. but you can get a set crew sculpted as the real film crew ... not cheap but... worth it and they look like the actors
Well.

That has well and truly set the cat amongst the pigeons.
chrism

Post by chrism »

Sorry ... Bravo 6 is the manufacturer of the original set but there are some cheaper copies out there
Fields of glory did stock them a few years back other sources exist to obtain from
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
David Silver
Active Participant

Post by David Silver »

Lovely job, can't wait to see Oddballs Sherman, one of my most favouriteist War films.
flakmonkey

Post by flakmonkey »

I am now in possession of the AFV Club T84 tracks for Fury. This is a fully workable track set, and requires no cement to assemble. At least, that's what they say. We shall soon be putting this claim to the real world test.

The parts are very nicely moulded and the tracks should look a treat once they are built up and fitted.

I have also received the Academy M4A3(76)W which will be the basis of Oddball's Sherman. This is definitely one of Academy's best armour kits, featuring such niceties as a choice between the solid and the lightweight roadwheels and drive sprockets. Of course, nothing on a tank is actually "lightweight" at all. PE is included for the brushguards, and a particularly nice bonus is the inclusion of Academy's Ma Deuce .50 cal MG, which has in the past been sold as a kit in its own right.

I have also begun production of the most essential accessory for Oddball's Sherman...

Thank goodness for Milliput.

Students of Kelly's Heroes will know, of course, that the 76mm Shermans in the film have (for some odd reason) 75mm long barrel turrets rather than the late war T26 type turret, which officially makes them M4A3(75)W Shermans. This means we have to do a bit of a kitbash, and graft a Zvezda 75mm turret onto the Academy hull, and the muzzle brake-less 76 barrel from the Academy kit must be transplanted into the Zvezda mantlet.

The fun never ends.
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Tut tut, what were they thinking? :???:

Nigel
B4en

Post by B4en »

Wow, you'll be blunting a few knife blades on those tracks...
The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

The bullhorn is arguably more important than getting the turret/gun combination right. I've used replacement individual link tracks from AFV Club in the past and they were very good.

IPMS#12300
flakmonkey

Post by flakmonkey »

ShaunW wrote: January 26th, 2024, 6:07 pm The bullhorn is arguably more important than getting the turret/gun combination right.
You're absolutely correct.

The spares bin came in very handy here, and I made the mounting bracket from litho plate with a bolt head sliced from the Academy sprues as generously provided. Of course, if you have built the Airfix 1/35 76mm Sherman or its derivatives, you have built the Academy; they are the same kit. This is a smart bit of reboxing on the part of Airfix, as the Academy Shermans are amongst the best in the scale.

The Zvezda turret fits the Academy turret ring perfectly for a seamless kit bash. There are some Oddball oddities to address, such as the totally made up turret mounted MG, which in the film has a M2 receiver but a 1919 barrel. Clearly the work of the props department, and fortunately not difficult to replicate from the spare parts bin. Do not, under any circumstances, ever attempt to fire such a weapon if it is presented to you in real life. You will certainly die, and it will hurt a lot.

There is a milk churn, BECAUSE OF COURSE THERE IS, which comes from a MiniArt set.

The Zvezda Sherman kit is very nice indeed but features absolutely no cast or RHA textures. This I do not find to be an issue, and I have replicated the turret's cast texture by liberally brushing it with Plastic Magic cement and then stippling it with a cut down paint brush.

You may rest assured, dear reader, that no Shermans will be harmed as a result of this kit bash, and the Academy T23 76mm turret will fit very nicely onto the Zvezda M4A2 VVSS hull to create a Soviet M4A2(76)W VVSS in the near future. An important but much under modelled sub type, the M4A2(76)W VVSS was the most common Red Army Sherman of WW2, and was enormously popular with its crews, who christened it "Emsha".
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Very good. Nice bit of Sherman variant info as well :)

Nigel
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Great work with replicating the turret texture and, naturally, with the bullhorn in place it is really starting to look the part!

IPMS#12300

Return to “Tanks, AFV and other Military Models”