B4en's Bodgery

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
B4en
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: B4en's Bodgery

Post by B4en »

Thanks very much Ralph, it's really very basic and low on detail. I'm actually tempted to get another of these to make a cabriolet version - then I'd absolutely have to go to town on the interior. :roll:

Guests and philosophy chat yesterday afternoon so not much modelling done. I blame Buddha, and that ruddy nutter Zizek! :twisted:

More sensible activities later. Tidied up the interior a bit - one more bit of painting still to do there. (If I'd planned this properly I'd have done a lot more painting before assembling the body...) The figures have been cleaned up and given an enamel base coat, and some luggage selected for the car interior. There is a pile more luggage waiting for the roof rack. Wheels got painted up and I slapped some black on the bonnet to see how the repairs are looking there - good enough for me I'm pleased to say! :)

Today I'm hoping to get the figures painted and the top on the car once the occupants are done. Also want to cut a piece of wood to start on the base - it'll be a cobbled bit of road with pavement and gutter. Probably a French type lamp post as well to give it a little vertical interest.

The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.
iggie

Post by iggie »

The Citroën is looking very neat indeed 👍
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

Another mini-masterpiece vignette in the making.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Stunning work Ben - considering the fight this kit has been giving you, this's looking excellent!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
B4en

Post by B4en »

Thanks for looking in chaps! The build progress has been a bit slow as the idea for the vignette grew, but it is finally getting there.
Stuart wrote: March 16th, 2024, 9:11 pm considering the fight this kit has been giving you, this's looking excellent!
What I'm gradually learning with Ace and A-Model kits is that they do mostly fit together well but only if you put a lot of work into the cleanup and test fitting stages, and pay attention to potentially warped parts.

Yesterday got the figures painted up. They will get a little more work today but just tidying up really. (They are all from the old Airfix passengers and railway worker sets, with some small tweaks here and there.) The luggage also got some basic painting. The Citroen got it's passengers etc. installed so I could - at last! - get the top on. The windows got a black surround on the inside first, then the exterior got a hefty coat of black enamel - the paint is still a bit tacky this morning so it looks like I'll be finishing the figures and working on the dio base today. Must admit I'm not really looking forward to fitting the windscreen and painting all the silver trim on the car! Aside from that it still needs headlights putting on, a wing mirror or two making up, and some windscreen wipers... I've also made some holes and notches in the roof for building the roof rack later.

Andy Dighton

Post by Andy Dighton »

Got to admit, your figure painting superb Ben.
Best wishes
Andy

My post war RAF display team page. https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=201&t=19491"
XX172 Life of a BAe Hawk 1977-2006. https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=201&t=23975
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Excellent stuff Ben, those figures look brilliant!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

I love when you build 1/72 stuff with figures.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I really like the suitcases. Superb attention to detail
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
B4en

Post by B4en »

Thanks for looking in everyone! It's all looking a bit messy still but hopefully I can pull things together.
Andy Dighton wrote: March 17th, 2024, 9:55 am Got to admit, your figure painting superb Ben.
Cheers Andy - I do enjoy the figure painting but it's not something I want to do all the time. At least this makes a start on some civilians for future projects.
JamesPerrin wrote: March 18th, 2024, 12:26 am I really like the suitcases. Superb attention to detail
Thanks James. I made and cast a load of them up years ago with some of those tin trunks and then never had much use for them. Let me know if you want some and I'll send you a batch.

The base is well underway. It was time consuming doing the cobbles particularly - in fact a couple of hours flashed by just doing that. Much as I like the MB bases I've never been a great fan of the neat brick road surfaces on some of them. I've tried to indicate a bit of road repair by putting in some different shaped cobbles where a drain or something has been put in. The paving slabs were Milliput rolled flat and then chopped with a steel rule while soft. DAS modelling clay would probably have been better but I didn't fancy the drying time.

The car is looking happier with wheels on. The roof and bonnet need some smoothing off next as they aren't as clean looking as I'd like. I'm really going to have to shine a light in from the side to show up the interior for photos! We used to see some of these still on the road in France when I was a kid - my brother called them gangster cars. :grin: I'm definitely tempted to do a cabriolet version sometime in a more lively colour scheme.
KellerModeller
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by KellerModeller »

The base, the Citroën,... 2x WOW 😳👍🏼
I like to carve old kits into something roughly aircraft/tank shaped... :grin:
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Love the passenger with her handbag clutched on her lap :grin:

Nigel
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

Modelling in miniature... This will look very good indeed when finished.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Do the Airfix rail figures come in that awful gummy plastic as their 1/76 military miniatures? How do you clean up mold lines on that stuff and then get paint to stay on them?
B4en

Post by B4en »

Thanks again guys for all the kind comments. The great thing about being involved on a forum like this is that it does encourage you to keep trying new things out - I wouldn't have put half the effort into recent builds if I wasn't posting here and getting feedback from other obsessives modellers! :grin:
Clashcityrocker wrote: March 18th, 2024, 9:35 am Love the passenger with her handbag clutched on her lap :grin:
One of my grans used to sit like that in cars. She was the world's worst back seat driver... "Watch out at this roundabout, they dew come round there so fast". Mind you the first car she saw had a man walking in front of it with a flag - or so she claimed. :ha: (She did reach 100 so maybe that was true?)
Softscience wrote: March 18th, 2024, 6:12 pm Do the Airfix rail figures come in that awful gummy plastic as their 1/76 military miniatures? How do you clean up mold lines on that stuff and then get paint to stay on them?
Mercifully no! These are Dapol repops of the old sets (I think) and the plastic is very like the modern airfix kit plastic. The moulds must have survived well as there was very little cleanup required. On dodgy plastic the best trick I've found is to give the figures a coat or two of Pledge/Klear and let it cure before attempting any trimming of flash etc. That way the knife actually cuts instead of just raising burrs. Also cut in a sawing motion with the sharpest blade you can get... The Pledge also helps paint to stay on. Still results may vary, as they say. :roll: I completely gave up on HAT stuff for example, as the plastic was so horrible. (Come to think of it so was a lot of the sculpting. :frown: )

The base - minus lamp post - got finished off yesterday. I sanded down the pavement and tidied up the kerb stones so they all look less like bits of roughly shaped putty! The whole lot then got a couple of coats of clear PVA to hold things together and fill in the worst of the gaps somewhat. I did mean to do the lamp post yesterday as well but sometimes you do want to see some progress on a kit so instead I got on with the Citroen...

It took a couple of goes at sanding and scraping to get the car roof and bonnet decently smooth, and I got a windscreen installed on the second attempt - the first one pinged off into oblivion from the tweezers just as I'd finished shaping it, of course. :roll: The second one I made slightly smaller and superglued some thin stretched sprue around it to look more like the real thing. Headlamps went on and I punched out a couple of clear plastic discs for them. Then a thinned coat of black matt acrylic and I picked out the parts that will be silver in white as an undercoat. The wing mirrors will have to wait until the roof rack is done, as I'll be trying some Mike Grant type wrapping to keep the paintwork intact while I do that.

It does seem to have tidied up quite nicely for now.

Return to “Workbench Window”