2024 bench butchering... by Ratch

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Ratch
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: 2024 bench butchering... by Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Examining the instructions, I note that etched parts are noted as options at some points. These are packed with the decals, in a sealed transparency. Both rubber band and link and length tracks are provided, giving the modeller a choice. I’m researching the 2nd Northamptonshire Yeomanry’s use of this AFV. I was lucky to meet Reg Spittals before he passed. He was a Corporal with 2NY and is mentioned in The 1st and 2nd Northamptonshire Yeomanry ISBN 978-1-84574-997-2 as wounded. His recollections and personal photographs inspired my interest in the Regiment, as well as freely giving valuable information on their use of these tanks.
My research had revealed that one of the Cromwells of 1 Troop, C Squadron, 2nd Northamptonshire Yeomanry, was named Agamemnon. The 2nd Northamptonshire Yeomanry landed their Centaurs and Cromwells on Gold Beach near Courseulles sur Mer on 18 June 1944. As the Armoured Reconnaissance Regiment of 11 Armoured Division their basic role was to probe the enemy defences, maintain contact and report information back to Divisional Headquarters. After the landing the Regiment de-waterproofed their tanks.
On 26 June the 2nd Northamptonshire Yeomanry were ordered to push on through Cheux and capture the bridges over the Odon. Torrential rain caused three days delay and the enemy moved two armoured divisions into place. On 30th July 1944, they took part in an operation to capture the town of Vire. The battle took place in the bocage country with high banks, thick hedges, small fields and narrow tracks, all of which caused great trouble to their tanks. The action near La Bistiere involved Cromwells knocking out a PzKpfw IV, which was supported by a PAK 40. C Squadron liberated Vire in their Cromwells.
Their use in the bocage would make it logical that they carried the hedge cutters at this time. I seem to recall Reg saying that the extra equipment, such as waders and hedge cutters, were discarded as soon as practically possible. He said they had very little stowage. Pictures of them at this time are few and far between but seem to support his recollections.
I remember Reg telling me that he had three Cromwells, two were lost, one by a shell hitting the engine bay. He remembered a driver’s side hatch, mirroring the gunner’s side hatch, which must have been a Cromwell IV Mark F. I have not seen a model that represents this mark. He told me that many things were fixed to the turret to disrupt the silhouette. Spare road wheels, helmets, chicken wire with branches and foliage stuck into it. I seem to recall someone mentioning that the road wheels in this kit are incorrect, having six securing nuts whereas they should have eight. I guess that strategic mud may offer a solution. I’m also contemplating making a bocage base. I have a number of 1/35 figures in my spares box that may be employed with this model.

So on to paring parts from the runners and introducing cement to styrene. 
Before long I decided to add some colour. I mixed Vallejo Model Color 70888 92 Olive Grey 50/50 with 70924 94 Russian Uniform WWII as my interpretation of SCC.15 Olive Drab, BS.987C.
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

All my previous builds have not had a hedge-cutter fitted, so this will be a bit different.
Assembly and painting of the road wheels is a time-consuming task.
Airfix Tribute Forum
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Don't let two missing bolts stop you from enjoying an otherwise great kit.

I know you won't. I'm proclaiming that to the broader modeling community.
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Cheers Ralph, I'm not a nut/rivet counter :lol:
Airfix Tribute Forum
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Good start Ratch, and nice bit of history of the regiment.

Nigel
iggie

Post by iggie »

I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out, as I've got at least one in the stash. The background history really makes for an interesting build
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Thanks guys. The Cromwell is not the same as the ones Reg used, so I'm more relaxed about any discrepancies. I've just given the tracks an umber wash this morning.

The diorama fence has been painted brown.
I then brushed on a white wash.
I'll probably add another coat, though I'll be happy with a well weathered/worn appearance.

This batch of figures will be Field Battalion 1st Duke of York’s (Osnabrück)
Airfix Tribute Forum
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Interesting bit of history about the Cromwell, Ratch. I'm not 100% sure, so don't quote me, but I seem to recall reading in the past that those hedge cutting devices (Cullins?) were never fitted to operational Cromwells.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

Wonderful work on those figures. You must have quite the collection!

Also nice Cromwell. It looks like a great kit regardless of the number of rivets.
Paul

This is it. The moment we should have trained for.
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

A rough mix of Dark Rust and German Camouflage Black Brown was dry brush over the cleats. I then rubbed an HB pencil over them. 
I could then fix the tracks. 
The instructions specify that 15 links are required around the drive sprocket, but I found that 13 were sufficient. This was just as well because I link disappeared into the ether of the Carpet Monster’s domain. 
With the tracks on I gave the interior a quick brush with silver just in case anything will be seen. 
It will need at least one more coat. Two etched strips were fixed to the glacis plate and the undersides painted.

A bit more on the KGL.
Airfix Tribute Forum
Impisi

Post by Impisi »

the KGL are developing very nice
Cheers
Martin

my recent builds
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Thanks Martin, I've just finished them.
Field Battalion 1st Duke of York’s (Osnabrück), of the King's German Legion.
Airfix Tribute Forum
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

nice painting on the tracks.
iggie

Post by iggie »

You do realise that if all the respective carpet monsters that inhabit or modelling dens got together, they could build a fairly serious model with all the bits we lose over the years...😲
Nice work on the tracks, and the troops are excellent as ever 👍
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Andy Dighton

Post by Andy Dighton »

Figures look fantastic as usual.
Best wishes
Andy

My post war RAF display team page. https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=201&t=19491"
XX172 Life of a BAe Hawk 1977-2006. https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=201&t=23975

Return to “Workbench Window”