Volkswaffe Revisited.....

From Apollo and Soyuz, to Gerry Anderson, Irwin Allen, Star Wars and Trek to Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica and those strange, doe-eyed Japanese school girls...to any model kits you can think of, that only exists in imagination.
Allan31
Active Participant

Volkswaffe Revisited.....

Post by Allan31 »

Somehow it came to my attention that links to the Volkswaffe build I posted both here and at another site about 2010 or so were missing. A not uncommon problem when vast websites are migrated from one server to another.

The Administrators of this site have graciously allowed me to repost the build providing I explain this is not a new build but a re-post of an older one.

Volkswaffe, 1/24 scale. The brilliant inspiration for this build came from this video by Travis Getz and Forrest Maready...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwlbCLX7aZk

Starting with a Mr. Hobby kit of the 1956 Beetle and Airfix kit of the Bf-109E, both 1/24 scale to replicate the famous secret Volkswaffe aircraft of WWII. This build represents the 1939-1940 version.

Using as much of the Airfix 109 as possible. Volkswaffe pilots were all hearing impaired with the 2 cannons by their side.

I cast up more 109 wheels as I only had 2 and I needed 4.

Instrument panel recreated using newly found Volkswaffe documents.

Seat belts from yogurt cup foil and brass wire buckles.

I added the canopy glazing from sheet styrene. The color scheme chosen is the early 1939 RLM 70/71/65 scheme as it's the most well documented.

Port, Starboard and Rear formation lights are tiny sequins in correct RLM colors. De-ice boots (later to become running boards) painted black. Yet another ground breaking Volkswaffe contribution to modern day science is the dual transmit and receive antenna on the roof that is the actual source for the term "Beetle" added from brass wire.

High performance, low restriction exhaust system as close as possible to original.

20mm cannon openings in cowling along with high altitude quartz headlamps. These were more often used for night time interceptions. Really.....they were.

Revi12 gun-sight modified from Airfix part. Instrument panel scratched from sheet styrene with epoxy gauges closely following recently discovered Volkswaffe data.

All accurate RLM nomenclature added in correct locations.

My heart-felt thanks to Travis and Forrest for their inspiration for this build, it was HUGE fun.
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Volkswaffe Revisited.....

Post by iggie »

Excellent fun! Very nicely done indeed 😀
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
B4en

Post by B4en »

That's absolutely great Allan! Only thing missing is a Stuka siren for those air rage moments. :grin:
The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

How good is that! Brilliant. It's even drawn me into the Real Space, Sci-Fi and what have you section where I don't venture very often - it was the build title that piqued my interest. Top class work, Allan.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

A lot of detail on this
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
Tim Reynaga
Active Participant

Post by Tim Reynaga »

Brilliant and fun! This is the most delightful build I've seen in a long time - thank you Allan! :omg
X12A

Post by X12A »

Great idea Allan and the model is fantastic!

Return to “Real Space, Sci-Fi and What-iffery”