Volkswaffe, subsequent data discovered.....

From Apollo and Soyuz, to Gerry Anderson, Irwin Allen, Star Wars and Trek to Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica and those strange, doe-eyed Japanese school girls...to any model kits you can think of, that only exists in imagination.
Allan31
Active Participant

Volkswaffe, subsequent data discovered.....

Post by Allan31 »

A re-post from 2010.

While doing the research for the Volkswaffe build, I came across so much recently discovered information and documentation about this fascinating aircraft I thought I would share it with all of you before the RLM discovers this is out on the internet and shuts it all down.

So here now is the shocking truth about the Volkswaffe program and what became of all those aircraft both during and after the war.

I chose the early RLM 65/70/71 scheme for my build because this is the time period where most of the accurate documentation exists.

As the war continued, record keeping was scratchy at best and everyone was still trying to keep it a closely guarded secret.
I was asked about the armor windscreen. I found references to this. Apparently a full armor screen was tried but proved too heavy for take-off even with emergency boost.

Here a technician can be seen aiding in the extraction of the pilot after an aborted take-off attempt.
A smaller armor plate, similar to those found on the Bf-109's was also tried with similar results.

Variouse weapons beyond the 20mm cannon were also tried but with negative results.

As with the Luftwaffe, Volkswaffes were also tried as night-fighters over Germany. In the ongoing effort to maintain secrecy, special emergency crews were dispatched to crash sites in an effort to disguise the Volkswaffe a/c as civilian vehicles.
Here is a rare shot of the Volkswaffe in all over RLM 76 taken the morning after it went down and just as the crash crew have left the scene.

As the conflict wore ever on, many aircraft were abandoned on airfields in the face of the allied march on Berlin.
This photo recently smuggled out of Russia by an aircraft recovery crew shows the sad state of this disguised wonder weapon as it was found at an abandoned airfield just a few months ago.

Other Volkswaffe aircraft were so hated by the advancing Russians they were crushed by the T-34's before they could be evaluated.

With the obvious outcome of the war now in sight, every effort was now being done to save this little miracle weapon so that perhaps the Reich would one day rise again.
A mass exodus to Argentina was the only logical option left. The problem was now how to get there. Volkswaffe were being smuggled there any way possable. Turning again to the Luftwaffe, the prospects of the Mistel program were explored. One aircraft delivering another.

An early Volkswaffe attempt.

That idea was abandoned.
Next was one disassembled a/c being towed by another.

This was somewhat more successful. However with allied control of all airspace, only the land option could be explored.
Different camouflage was tried.

But even that could not get past a landscape so thoroughly occupied by allies of so many different countries. Finaly total disguise and then smuggling out right under the noses was the only way to get to Argentina, the promised land.

This one didn't work. The "Fuzzy Sweater" scheme....

Nor this, the "Outdoor Furniture" scheme....

This either, the "Garden Statuary" scheme...

As luck would have it, some Volkswaffe did make it to the coast. After that it was "Every Volks ver himself!!"....
This disguised Volkswaffe was secretly photographed just as it came ashore in Argentina after the long journey over the ocean floor of the Atlantic.

With a new secret life starting up in Argentina and so many of the technicians and engineers also showing up there, it wasn't long until everyone realized that disguise was still the best way to survive.
Survive and thrive they did. And they continue to do so to this day. Here for the first time is photographic proof that the Volkswaffe is among us to this day. Just as aliens from other planets live among us everyday as homeless and aged people, so does the mighty Volkswaffe now reside among us and yet so few of us ever notice.

This is the first ever photograph smuggled out showing technicians at the completion of their best ever disguise.

It's the only explanation that fits.

It's a very little known fact that the exceptional qualities of this wonder weapon did not get passed one very rich super hero.

Yet, for most of these wonderful little Volkswaffe aircraft that escaped the conflict in Europe and have survived today, they quietly bide their time in barns and fields across the world and wait patiently for their call to return to duty.

And you had no idea, did you....
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: Volkswaffe, subsequent data discovered.....

Post by JamesPerrin »

A great and historically important piece of research.

The amphibious Beetle took me back to my childhood Wed when every weeks someone seemed to be attempting to cross the Channel in one.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)

Return to “Real Space, Sci-Fi and What-iffery”